Air Asis and Scoot - anyone used them?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 shannon31

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:48 AM

Hi all, bit of a general question here. I am looking at traveling to Singapore and Malaysia later in the year, just looking at air fares at the moment. Both Scoot and Air Asia have some ridiculously cheap air fares, most of them at half of what I would pay with an all inclusive airline.
I know we will have to pay extra for food, luggage, but just interested to hear if anyone had used these airlines when flying with kids, and how did you find them ?

My children will be 3 and 10 when we go, we always take lots of snacks, sticker books, etc anyway. We also have an iPad and 2 DS consoles as well to keep us occupied.

Thanks for your help.

#2 i-candi

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:13 PM

I've flown Scoot to Singapore, very happy with service and leg room for low cost carrier. I'd do it again. I didn't have kids with me as I went with my bestie, my kids would have no problem but they are older & can occupy themselves.

Part of trip was on Tiger & I'd never fly with them for anything over an hour. It was very squishy!

Both scoot & tiger (Phuket) didn't care that my bags were over my allowance !!!!

#3 mrsjane

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:16 PM

I have used both airlines before, air asia is okie but scoot is better bcos of their in flight service, as they are under the same company that is related to Singapore Airlines which is known for being one of the best airlines in the world.

So my bet would be to go with scoot, tiger airways is so far reliable, no major hiccups but maybe i was lucky as I have had friends who had their flights cancelled and failed to get their money back. So it really depends. I wasn't charged for additional baggage either but I was over by 3kg anyway.

For budget airlines, you really have to be careful with all these frills that they do not include in their cheap prices, like travel insurance , flight cancellation claims and all.

If you are into saving more for your trip, try websites like Wego Australia Travel that scan all the fares for you and consolidates them in one page so you can take your pick of the best times and dates to travel to maximise your stay and also you could get great hotel deals at the same time. saves you time and money.

#4 eachschoolholidays

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:32 PM

I've flown with Air Asia a number of times and Scoot once.  I like Air Asia much better.  

Air asia's customer service is much better and accomodation in Malaysia is much, much cheaper than Singapore.  You will probably need to consider the cost of accomodation as neither airline do many connecting flights and you need to leave lots and lots of time for connections.  Check the time of connecting flights before you book!

In terms of the flights themselves I found customer service on both to be quite good.  Do order your food beforehand as they often run out on the day.

#5 TheSmithFamily

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:30 PM

We love airasia. We have flown with them with children for the last five years ( around 12 flights) into Kl and onward to places like Vietnam,Cambodia, Thailand.

As long as you are not expecting all the frills it's great. Flight staff have always been brilliant with us as a family including my son who uses a wheelchair.

We base ourselves in KL too as far cheaper than Singapore and I like the cultural diversity there.
You can also get a train from KL sentral to Singapore as a different option to flying although flights from KL to Singapore are very reasonable.
Train much cheaper from KL as our of Singapore it's charged at almost double.

Good point above about connections, we have stayed at Tune hotel a few times at the airport as some destinations may only have one connection a day.

Cheers Bron

#6 i-candi

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:22 PM

I have to agree Malaysia is such a nicer place to visit  cool.gif  Although I wouldn't say no to going back to Singapore !!!!

#7 Escapin

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:28 PM

Mum and Dad have flown Air Asia a number of times. They have had really great experiences every time. Yes, you have to take everything, but you know that, so you just have to be organised.

#8 smultron

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:29 AM

We are family of 5 and flew Air Asia to Malaysia (KL then on to Langkawi) last September school hols.  Prices were unbeatable ($400 return per person and I spoke to others who got even cheaper airfares!)
we did pay extra to book meals onboard which were tasty, cheap and ok but not necessary.  (I saw some families bring out huge tupperware type containers with loads of food throughout entire journey- it was like an ongoing picnic!)

Also paid for a DS console one way for each child and a tablet another way for each child.  The seats were quite small with less room than larger airlines and I did miss the onboard entertainment to kill a few hours watching a movie but it was bearable and not very different to some other much more expensive airlines.  

On the flight to Malaysia, I found it soooo cold- I was absolutely freezing and there are no blankets- you have to pay for an amenities kit which wasn't expensive but I ended up borrowing DH's jacket and it was ok.  I just thought it was extra stuff to lug around later- pillow etc.  Even with all the extras- luggage, meals, entertainment, we still saved hundreds if not thousands of dollars.  We would definitely fly with them again simply because of value for money.

BTW, we'd never been to Malaysia before- have been to Hong Kong, Singapore and spent lots of time in Thailand BUT we loved Malaysia and will def go back- it was easy to travel around, super cheap and great value for money and we weren't hassled in same way we are in Thailand every time we bought anything or tried to arrange a taxi etc.

Edited by smultron, 18 January 2013 - 09:30 AM.

#9 FeRaL n ScReWeD

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:29 PM

I've not had a good experience so far with air Asia and yet to leave.There are 7 of us travelingThree adults, three children one with autism, one with autism and haemophilia and one with haemophilia. And one inf.Unless I pay to select our seats at a cost of $180 all up, They cannot gaurentee that we can sit together. It's not a matter of not wanting to fork out the money, it's more of the fact I don't think it's veryNice to do that to two family's trying to have a holiday. If the children didnt have medical needs I'd love forThem to sit next to some other adult and spare me the 11hrs.I get that it's a budget airline but being understanding wouldn't go astray!

#10 Anemonefish

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:11 PM

I've flown with Air Asia a few times and haven't had a bad experience yet. They usually give people with children priority boarding, so I have never paid to select seats and we've always been among the first on the flight and have had our pick of seats. Just one piece of advice - if you fly domestic out of KL, do allow lots of time as it can be quite busy and chaotic.

#11 smultron

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:37 PM

Sarahs three- we didn't pay to select seats either..but we were moved around although Dh had a seat with one child and I was seated a few rows away with the other two kids.  i think legally and for safety reasons they said that a child cannot sit on their own- there must be an adult from their travelling party seated next to them.  Hope that helps. All the best with our trip- hope it's a good one x

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.