OPinions about living in Toowoomba

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 strawberrycakes

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:24 PM

I posted a thread earlier in the week regarding good suburbs to live in Melbourne due to a potential move for DH's work.  Looks like that opportunity isn't going to work out for us but DH has been offered a job in Toowoomba.

Anyone know much about the area?

I am after opinions about what it would be like to live there & raise a family.

DH & I so need a change & this could be it but I don't want to go if it isn't going to be a nice place to live IYKWIM.

TIA

#2 aliro

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:34 PM

I live in Toowoomba, so happy to answer any specific questions you may have.

I moved here, from Brisbane, about 7 years ago to be with my husband when we got married.  I LOVE living in Toowoomba, and when anyone from Brisbane asks me how I'm liking it and if I want to move back I say a definite "no!"

I like it because it's small enough to have a slower pace of life, but big enough to have all the facilities you would want.  And if not, Brisbane is only a couple of hours away to visit for the day.

There are LOTS of schools, both public and private.  Parks everywhere you look.

There are some suburbs that aren't so desirable, but plenty of lovely and quite expensive suburbs too.  It's also quite possible to move 'out of town' to some acreage but still only be 15-20 minutes away from the centre of town.

#3 Shooz

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:35 PM

Toowoomba is a great family town. Lots of great schools, lots of parks and play areas. Has reasonable shopping and only an hour and half fromBrisbane if you feel the need for a dose of the big smoke. Nice climate. Tends not to get too hot in summer, night times generally cool down. Can get a bit cold in winter. What else do you want to know?

#4 copham

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:36 PM

To live here and raise a family it's a great place. As your kids get older they will get bored but like most will go Brisbane/coast for outings.

Toowoomba is growing a lot and has come along way with a sushi train & gelato shop lol but it's still country in other areas like the shopping centres they are sh*t if you want to shop around. Grand Central houses Target, Coles, d*ck smith and Myer. Clifford Gardens has best and less, coles, woolies, big w and Kmart plaza has Kmart and coles.

It's quiet and housing is affordable to both buy and rent. People are friendly and the town does try and put on family events.

Schools are great ranging from smaller schools to bigger ones with great reputations. Not sure what else you want to know but happy to answer any questions that i can that you have OP.

#5 strawberrycakes

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:46 PM

thanks for the replies original.gif

May I ask for opinions on what suburbs are the best & the ones to avoid so to speak?

My DD will be going into grade 1 there, what state schools are the best?

#6 Guest_Dinah_Harris_*

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:54 PM

Suburbs like Prince Henry Heights and Middle Ridge are nice.
Don't know what the bad ones are like these days.  I lived and worked in Toowoomba about fourteen years ago now, but it was a really nice place.  It is really a big country town, if you can handle that, but there are some great things that go hand in hand with that.
My brother still lives there and we visit quite a lot.  The climate is lovely, although the wind in winter can be a bit brutal.

#7 NotRocketScience

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:56 PM

I'd move there in a heartbeat. I'm a teacher and it's very difficult to gain a position in Toowoomba as it's a very popular destination for teachers to request.

As far as regional places to go I think it has great shopping.

#8 aliro

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:57 PM

Some of the better suburbs are Middle Ridge, Rangeville, Mount Lofty.
Middle tier suburbs would be, Centenary Heights, Darling Heights.
Bottom tier suburbs would be Rockville, Harlaxton, Harristown

However, Toowoomba can be strange in that you can have good and bad parts within the one suburb.  For example, Wilsonton, Newtown, South Toowoomba, East Toowoomba, North Toowoomba.  So you can't always discount an entire suburb because there are some really lovely parts within that suburb.

Can't help with schools though as I'm not at that stage yet.

#9 Shooz

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:58 PM

Generally avoid the north western suburbs. Kearney springs is growing rapidly with lots of new affordable housing. East toowoomba, Rangeville, Middle Ridge are all nicer more expensive suburbs. Highfields is about 15 mins north of town and very family orientated and more acreage type blocks.

#10 probyber

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:10 PM

It's two years today since we have lived in Toowoomba and i can't say enough how good it is here. We are expecting our first in August and we are so happy were we are in life at the moment. As people have said its a big enough place to have everything you need but still has a small town feel. We have only gone forward since moving here. We are currently renting in Darling heights and can't say a bad word about the area close to everything.

#11 giggleandhoot

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:16 PM

We were there for work and lived there for a while. We loved it. I could've easily stayed on and raised a family there. Are the shops open there on a Sunday now? that was the only major down side i had, i need shops open on a Sunday.

#12 Jupiter123

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:00 PM

We moved here a month ago from Canberra and so far so good.

I can't help with schools as DD is not school age yet, but look me up if you end up moving here more than happy to go grab a coffee or something. Sorry if that sound stalkerish lol, I only know a couple of people up here and would love to meet more.

#13 strawberrycakes

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:21 PM

but look me up if you end up moving here more than happy to go grab a coffee or something. Sorry if that sound stalkerish lol, I only know a couple of people up here and would love to meet more.
  Not stalkerish at all LOL, if we do move there I'd love to meet someone original.gif

#14 Excentrique Feral

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:50 PM

I live in toowoomba, been here all my life so can't compare to anywhere else. I think its true that its great for families but not so good for young people.

Plenty of parks and plenty of schools, some are fantastic if you have the money. Toowoomba is a real sprawl and on one end of town you will have your much more err degenerate neighborhoods while at the other end are massive mansions.

Schools I have heard good things about: glenvale state school, east state school, middle ridge state school, gabbinbar state school.

My DD started off at Rangeville state school. We left, but I do still have friends who are happy there, though there are others that feel the place has gone downhill. We are now in a private school.

Suburbs to stay away from: rockville, wilsonton wine estate (look at the street names to know where I refer), harlaxton (home of toowoombas infamous brothel), drayton, parts of newtown (the more north you go the worse it is) and parts of east toowoomba and parts of harristown.

Nice suburbs: Glenvale is really nice, as is kearny springs and darling heights. Centenary heights is also very nice and if you have some spare cash, middle ridge or rangeville.

Now you must choose, do you prefer flies, cockroaches or mold? If you like flies, move closer to the glenvale end of town. If your fond of cockroaches then I suggest anything in the middle, and if you like mold, go the eastern end. Public transport is really terrible. Yes we do have sunday trading now.

Feel free to ask any questions.

#15 *LucyE*

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:39 PM

Toowoomba ranked 3rd in the Family Friendly article linked in another thread original.gif

A lot of the answers depend on your priorities and personality. What some people like, won't suit others.

I agree with the PP who said not to discount entire suburbs. There are good and bad pockets to most areas, it just depends on what you are looking for.

For example, a PP mentioned Glenvale as a good suburb but you couldn't pay me to live there.  Middle Ridge may come across as glam but in some parts, it is full of McMansions that just look soulless. I personally think East Toowoomba is overrated and over priced but, hey, that's just me. I'm trying to work out which area is considered dodgy. Harlaxton is dive-y in places but in other spots it is established and gentrified.

If you do move to Toowoomba (or anywhere), best to rent first to get a real feel for the place.

There are also lots of places out of town that are great. I personally like space and privacy and would hate to live in suburbia of a regional town.

#16 Aspiring2BaGiraffe

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:55 PM

I have lived in Toowoomba for 5 years now.  I originally lived in Brisbane, then moved WAY out west for a job and just couldn't bring myself to move back to Brisbane - so Toowoomba got the pick!

I love living in Toowoomba.  As PP have some suburbs have good and bad pockets and I agree that renting for 6-12 months is a great way to get to know the areas.  

Schools - all depends on what type of experience you want for your students.  Some of the schools listed by other posters do have good reputations - but are also quite large and some have catchments now.  There are definitely lots of choices for schools.

I love that everything is quite close and you can drive anywhere in 15-30mins depending on the traffic.  Brisbane is 1-1 1/2 hours away, it can take 2-2 1/2 hours to get to the Gold Coast if you want to go to the beach.

I like the shopping as you have pretty much every shop you could need.  It seems that nearly every shopping centre has  a Woolies or Coles and some even have both.

I love the weather in Toowoomba!  It generally only gets humid if it rains.  The days are warm the nights cool off.  The fog can be a bit of a pain, it hangs around more in the eastern suburbs.  Mould can be an issue because of the wet.

House prices can be quite good.  I was renting a 2 bedroom house for about $230.  We have recently bought our own 3 bedroom house in Newtown for $240 000 (it's a renovator).  I love Newtown because of the older houses and it's a 10-15min walk into the city and to the 2 main shopping centres.

I'm looking forward to raising my family here!

#17 MandaLM

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:23 PM

Dp

Edited by MandaLM, 17 January 2013 - 11:33 PM.

#18 MandaLM

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:33 PM

Toowoomba is a lovely city. My parents are moving back here from Brisbane and the comment from them is that is just so much friendlier here. Just a few comments to add:

Schools: Toowoomba East State School is a great school but it is harder to get into (you must live within its catchment) and it is very big, so facilities are a bit stretched, speaking as someone who worked there in the past year.

Suburbs: I live in Harristown (news to me it's a down market area lol) and we have no problems, aside from a lot of ambulances. Kearney springs, darling heights, middle ridge and rangeville are all nice areas, middle ridge being one of the more expensive areas. I grew up in Kearney springs and it was very family friendly.

And yes, we do have Sunday trading original.gif don't hesitate I'd say!

#19 Excentrique Feral

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:11 AM

Most of harristown is very nice, I'm just referring to a few pockets  wink.gif
I'd be quite happy to move there, it would be very central for us.\

eta: specifically this pocket:

Edited by Excentrique, 18 January 2013 - 09:15 AM.

#20 MandaLM

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:43 AM

Oh yes I definitely know which pocket you're referring to now! Agreed!

#21 .Jerry.

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:05 PM

I grew up in Toowoomba.   ph34r.gif  Had twenty years there.  

Looking back it was a pretty good place to grow up.  Good schools.  Everything we needed.  Easy to get around (though public transport is pathetic).  Close to Brisbane.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• ebk-canonD30-thumb

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

• ppcard-thumb

Win a $200 Pumpkin Patch voucher

Fill out this quick survey and tell us in 25 words or less: what is your best pregnancy or parenting tip?

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.