epics
Need a new read.

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#1 raone

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:00 PM

Okay so I have been looking for a new fantasy series to start. rolleyes.gif Have been looking and I don't want to spend money and be dissapointed as some have made me yawn in the past.
So would love some reccomendations from what I have already read!

I have read every single one of Sara Douglass' novels and loved most of them, all were okay enough to finish. Very sad now that there will be no more. sad.gif

I have read all but the last of the sookie stackhouse stories. But don't really consider them fantasy.
Can't think of anything else at the moment. But basically want fantasy but not the typical magician type story. Don't really want any vampire/ werewolf stories either as I am getting sick of the large amount of them at the moment. Could you pleases also add why you love so i can tell if I would like it thanks! bbighug.gif

#2 raone

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:12 PM

BUMP biggrin.gif

#3 raone

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:02 PM

anyone?

#4 pumpkin89

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:06 PM

Game of Thrones / A Song of Fire an Ice by George RR Martin?

#5 raone

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:09 PM

Thanks Pumpkin I have watched two of the seasons but I struggle to pay attention to it sometimes. I'm wondering if its a case of the book is better than the tv especially as it is so in depth.

#6 JennC3

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:11 PM

Have you tried the Wheel of time series written by Robert Jordan?
13 books in total (I'm just waiting to get hold of the last one so I can finish the series!). Similar to the Game of Thrones but better (in my opinion...). It has been about three years since I started the series - characters are great, story is really interesting and there are some v strong female characters not just damsels in distress!

#7 FeralDan

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:11 PM

Have you read Peter V Brett? The first is called "the painted man". I stumbled upon him recently. I wouldn't call these epic, and the writing isn't always spot on, but the concepts behind the story are IMO quite original and different while still being firmly within the fantasy genre. They are quite compelling to read.
But really there are so many fantasy series out there. Can you borrow some from a library and see what grabs you before investing?

#8 FeralDan

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:14 PM

QUOTE (pumpkin89 @ 17/01/2013, 09:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Game of Thrones / A Song of Fire an Ice by George RR Martin?

Yes the books are waaaaay better than the tv series (although I am a huge fan of the show).

#9 two_ones

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:16 PM

Stephen King's "Dark Tower" series is a good read.

#10 raone

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:17 PM

No haven't tried either of those. Really got into fantasy through Sara Douglass before that I was always a crime girl biggrin.gif . I have looked at the wheel of time and what appeals to me is there are so many books. Really hate it when a series ends, even though I can't put the book down to stretch my enjoymet out.
I also am really interested in earlier history type fantasy. Love greek myths and anything up to the 1700s.

#11 Feralina

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:18 PM

QUOTE (JennC3 @ 17/01/2013, 09:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Have you tried the Wheel of time series written by Robert Jordan?
13 books in total (I'm just waiting to get hold of the last one so I can finish the series!). Similar to the Game of Thrones but better (in my opinion...). It has been about three years since I started the series - characters are great, story is really interesting and there are some v strong female characters not just damsels in distress!

I second this! Oh how much time I've spent reading and re-reading these books. It gets a bit slow towards the middle of the series, but the 14th (and FINAL) book has just been released and it's well worth it.

#12 stephmd85

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:21 PM

I second the Game of Thrones series, you'll be hooked after the 1st one!

#13 cinnabubble

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:23 PM

Neal Stephenson's Baroque Trilogy?

#14 Feral Nicety

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:23 PM

Don't buy the Wheel of Time until you are certain it is one you love wink.gif.  I liked the first 4 but it turns into the most tedious boring nothing happens for several books read you could imagine.

GOT has very strong female characters?   mellow.gif

#15 raone

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:24 PM

Whats that about Cinnabubble?

#16 RumbleBee

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:29 PM

Definitely Game of Thrones - I love it and it is heaps better than the TV show (although I also love that). One of my top fantasy series ever

Wheel of Time I am a long term fan of, but it requires commitment!

All Robin Hobbs books, with the exception of the Soldiers Son trilogy. Start with the Assassin series.

Historical-wise, I love Sharon Penman. She has done a variety of historical novels covering medieval England (from about mid-12th century, to 15th century). Start with When Christ and his Saints Slept.

Alison Weir covers a similar period, but not in novel form. The books are still great to read, and I like to convince myself that I am learning!

#17 NunSoFeral

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:31 PM

I will miss Sara Douglass' writing as well.
When I've been in the mood for soem epic fantasy I've gone through:

David Eddings - The Elenium and The Tamuli. Weaves some nice God/Goddess mythology in.
Steve Erikson - Really is epic stuff -11 books and very complex. If you get through the first one, you are hooked. Well I was!
Also worth a look is Joe Abercrombie - I really enjoyed several of his - great writing, non-conventional and lots of humour.

I also love me some crime - got any leads?

Enjoyed the first three of the Game of Thrones/Songs of Fire and Ice - four lost me somewhat - got too murky in terms of storyline, sub-sub-sub plots.

Ditto what Balzac said on Wheel of Time.

Ooh - and another - left field though - Clive Barker Imajica. Stand alone book.

Edited by gettheetoanunnery, 17 January 2013 - 08:38 PM.

#18 Feral Nicety

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:34 PM

Oh yes to Robin Hobb including the no wai to the Soldier Son series.

Lois McMaster Bujold's Sharing Knife series and her Paladin series (and of course the Vorkosigan saga if you like space opera {and if you don't, what's wrong with you?})

#19 cinnabubble

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:36 PM

QUOTE (raone @ 17/01/2013, 09:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Whats that about Cinnabubble?

The Baroque Cycle is a series of novels by American writer Neal Stephenson. It was published in three volumes containing 8 books in 2003 and 2004. The story follows the adventures of a sizeable cast of characters living amidst some of the central events of the late 17th and early 18th centuries in Europe. Despite featuring a literary treatment consistent with historical fiction, Stephenson has characterized the work as science fiction, due to the presence of some anomalous occurrences and the work's particular emphasis on themes relating to science and technology.[1] The sciences of cryptology and numismatics feature heavily in the series.

From Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Baroque_Cycle

If you're in the mood for a sprawling romp across the globe and through Enlightenment natural philosophy, Neal Stephenson's the man for you. I suspect there's far less ****ing than in Game of Thrones, though.

The books are available in three volumes on the Kindle.

#20 raone

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:45 PM

I'm loving this so many to choose from YAY! Thanks guys.

Hmmmm Getthetoanunnery- Really liked Mr. Clarinette. Can't remember authors name sorry. It's based in Haiti which I really liked as I hadn't seen that before.
I also just finished reading Karin Slaughters Criminal which was decent. It went in depth into women starting in the police force in the 70s which was good.

#21 raone

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:47 PM

Cinnabubble sex is only required for me if it is important to the plot. Which in some parts it could be for Game of thrones. lol.

#22 unicorn

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:48 PM

Im a Sara Douglass fan too, although I have THe Devil's Diadem here waiting to be read, but I can't bring myself to read it knowing it is the last one.
David Eddings' books all run in sequence until he wrote the Youunger Gods or whatever it is. His was the first fantasy series I read. They were good until Leigh started putting her name on them then they got a bit ho hum.
What about Raymond E Fiest, Terry Brookes, B V Larsen if you like dragons. Um just looking through my downloads to see what I've got that is worth recommending lol. Terry Goodkind. I tend to find an author and start at the beginning.
I am eagerly awaiting the 6th one of the Game of Thrones, the 3rd one was a bit slow but really enjoyed the rest.

Edited by unicorn, 17 January 2013 - 08:50 PM.

#23 melaine

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:49 PM

Don't think anyone has mentioned Raymond E Feist.

Magician, is one of my all time faves and leads into a series of 3 books which then has many, many follow up series.

I also really enjoyed The Empire Trilogy which is by Janny Wurts (and RE Feist) and it's got less magic in it, it's more of a political fantasy. It kind of runs parallel to Magician and its sequels so worth reading the Riftwar trilogy (magician Et al) then the empire trilogy.

I have enjoyed game of thrones, wheel of time etc as well,  but I think if you're a fan of Sara Douglass then you'll enjoy these two series more!

#24 raone

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:52 PM

Unicorn it is her best book by far I think. I cried at the end knowing it was her last. Luckily she ties it up neatly at the end. Unlike The infinity gate that left you wondering if there was supposed to be another.

#25 purplekitty

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:54 PM

QUOTE (Balzac @ 17/01/2013, 08:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh yes to Robin Hobb including the no wai to the Soldier Son series.

Lois McMaster Bujold's Sharing Knife series and her Paladin series (and of course the Vorkosigan saga if you like space opera {and if you don't, what's wrong with you?})
My Bold.
I loved that series.
Robert Jordan and Feist not so much.

Neal Asher's Polity series is one of my favourites.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• ek-toysales-thumb

Best buys of the 2014 toy sales

We have rounded up some of the best from this year's half yearly toy sales from the big stores around Australia.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.