Calling all tenants!
Nice or creepy?

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 Jellyblush

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:13 PM

Hi everyone. Very simple question. I have some tenants. I am a new landlord, I like these tenants a lot as my place always looks great (yes I do drive bys when in the area!) and I would like them to stay.

They have agreed to me going in tomorrow to take some photos. This is for my own tax purposes, nothing to do with them. It's nice of them, they didn't have to agree.

They won't be home. I'd like to leave a gift on the table with a thank you note. Movie tickets maybe.

What do you think? If you came home to find something from your landlord on your table, would you think it was nice or creepy???

Thanks!

#2 snuffles

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:14 PM

I'd love it, very nice original.gif

#3 Kafkaesque

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:15 PM

Very nice. A simple note saying thanks for being good tenants.

#4 heffalumpsnwoozles

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:15 PM

As an ex-tenant, I'd think it was lovely and I'd try extra hard to keep your house nice. original.gif

ETA It would be creepy if I didn't know you were coming into my house. VERY creepy! But in this case, since they know you'll be in there, just a nice gesture.

Edited by heffalumpsnwoozles, 17 January 2013 - 06:16 PM.

#5 Jax12

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:17 PM

QUOTE (heffalumpsnwoozles @ 17/01/2013, 04:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As an ex-tenant, I'd think it was lovely and I'd try extra hard to keep your house nice. original.gif

yyes.gif

I used to feel chuffed just at the REA writing that the house looked lovely on the bottom of the inspection report, so I'd be stoked with a gift and a note.  What a lovely gesture.

#6 Kickingitcountry

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:18 PM

My mums land lord came over and brought her Christmas presents because she got in touch with him when there were problems with the house that the realestate was ignoring.
She thought it was great:) I would love it if my land lord did this:)

#7 password123

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:19 PM

I would love it. You're such a nice person!

#8 imamumto3

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:21 PM

I have known landlords to do that, one used to give the tenants $50 and tell them to treat themselves to takeaway that night.  the tenants loved it.

#9 erindiv

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:24 PM

I would love it!

I got a gift from my REA a few weeks back after she stuffed up inspection times twice. On the third time when she finally showed up, she handed me a package of lovely smelling soaps. It was lovely.

I will still peeved about being stuffed around twice, but hey, she tried biggrin.gif

#10 9ferals

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:25 PM

I'm a tenant (but as I don't steal/swear/smoke/play loud music/damage things/annoy the neighbours I'm probably not a typical tenant in the eyes of many EB-ers).

I would be very appreciative of any nice gesture like a thank you note and even more appreciative of a small thank you gift.  

My experience is that respect and responsibility need to be two way and this is a great example of respecting your tenants and their rights and being appreciative of them letting you visit when it's something that is useful for you but not necessary for them.

#11 whatnamenow

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:28 PM

QUOTE (imamumto3 @ 17/01/2013, 06:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have known landlords to do that, one used to give the tenants $50 and tell them to treat themselves to takeaway that night.  the tenants loved it.

I used to do this when i sold real estate to my buyers.   I know the traditional thing is a bottle of wine but i always figured that all i wanted on move in day was to not worry about dinner.

#12 Jellyblush

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:39 PM

Awesome! I will definitely be doing it then. There's a gorgeous well known art deco cinema near the house, so it'll be tickets for there.

#13 Happy Feet

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:39 PM

What a lovely idea original.gif

#14 I'm Batman

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:43 PM

lovely.

Id also keep in mind that the more you improve your property the better off you are and the longer you might  keep your tenants.

#15 asdf89

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:48 PM

I'd love it!
A friend got given movie tickets for being a good tenant and I was blown away - I wish my REA/LL's appreciated how much effort I put in to keep this place looking nice.

#16 tamietamara

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:50 PM

We do this for our tenant as we love her and want her to stay forever! We leave a Dan Murphy's voucher as we know she loves wine, or chocolates or movie vouchers each time we do an inspection as the place is always spotless. She always pys her rent on time (or before) into our account, always contacts us respectfully if there re any issues, always tells us if something needs fixing etc, and she even gave us a x,as hamper for Xmas for being good landlords. She is so far removed from our previous tenants (who we don't speak of anymore....) that she seems too good to be true. I think doing this sort of thing builds a healthy, respectful relationship.

#17 Jane Jetson

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:55 PM

When we rented, we once had some ongoing plumbing problems that involved a lot of the yard stinking, things backing up and several visits from the plumber. To apologise, the LLs left us a box of Roses and a bottle of light champagne on our doorstep (they left a card to explain it though!). We thought it was a lovely gesture.

#18 bettymm

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:57 PM

That is so lovely original.gif  i can tell you now, they will really appreciate that.

#19 Cranky Kitten

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:59 PM

Love the idea - a simple thank you note is always appreciated, so movie tickets or something would be a mega-bonus in my book

#20 elizabethany

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:02 PM

It is really nice, so long as they know that you will be there that day.  It sounds like you have good tenants.

As an aside, this is not a problem so long as you have a good relationship with your tenants, but  "drivebys' can be counted as rental inspections as you are looking at their maintainence of the yard/property.  I know one LL who got burned badly after they had dramas with a tenant, and the tenant went to the CTTT (tenancy tribunal in NSW) due to lack of privacy, non-notified inspections and too many inspections.  The tenants were awarded 6 months rent (the length of time the LL had been identified by the tenant for doing it).

#21 Chelli

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:03 PM

That is a lovely idea and I know I'd appreciate it if I were them original.gif

#22 bellemae

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:33 PM

wow, what a lovely thing to do!! Definitely not creepy, just very thoughtful!

#23 Lil Chickens

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:43 PM

DH and I give the tenant in the house next door to us a Christmas gift every year.  Haven't thought to do it for the other tenants in the houses in town.  I think because we have a PM so the houses in town feel removed from us whereas this one (also with the PM) is right on our farm and 50 feet from us.

I think it's a lovely gesture.

#24 peach*face

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:11 PM

Your intentions are good.and your generosity comes from a good place.

But as a tenant I would be not sure how I would feel. initially I felt a bit weird when I read the Op.

I personally don't think tenants need a reward for good behaviour. I think while nice it is a bit unprofessional and I as a tenant value my dignity and privacy more than a gift for doing what's expected.

eta: not creepy, but a bit ott with a dash of low expectation. yes even a marginal chip on the shoulder might interpret that guesture as condescending. My personal preference is that my LL has no affiliation or personal.connection with the propertyi am leasing. so gifts are just an unnecessary part of the LL tenant relationship imo.

Edited by peach*face, 17 January 2013 - 08:19 PM.

#25 starfire

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:37 PM

I would have loved it as a tenant! It really shows that you are in touch with your tenant needs and are willing to help instead of only seeing the tenant as a dollar value iykwim.

Definitely not creepy in this case as your tenant already knows you are coming through the house - maybe write a little note or leave a card with the gift to explain your reasons for doing so.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• ek-houseofmagic-thumb

Win a House of Magic prize pack

To celebrate the release of the new movie House of Magic, we have 10 double passes and magic sets to give away just in time for these school holidays. Enter Now for a chance to win!

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.