More advice from tenants please
Preparing a home to rent

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 summer80

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:38 PM

We are moving into our new home soon and the new owners will rent out our current home which has been sold.

It's not officially listed yet but the REA called tonight to say a prospective tenant would like to come through tomorrow.

The house is always tidy (I can't stand mess) but its not totally spotless. I want to do a full clean (bathroom scrubbed, floors mopped, cupboards wiped down etc)  but my DH thinks a tidy and quick vac is sufficient.

What do you all think? Does a beautifully presented house make you more likely to apply? Or is a generally neat home ok? I think it's the right thing to do for the new owners who no doubt want tenants lined up ASAP....

It's probably a moot question b/c I won't be able to stop myself cleaning it properly but I am interested in what you think?

Thanks in advance!

#2 9minutes

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:45 PM

If I know that you are still moving out and it's not even officially listed then I'm not too bothered by how clean it is. I know that people aren't going to give a house a thorough clean until they move out.  

If lots of things were broken or my feet were sticking to the carpet I wouldn't be very impressed but it sounds like your house looks good already so I'm with your DH - keep it simple, you must have enough to do already.

Of course it also depends where you live and how easy it is to get a rental. In Perth the market is so tight that I probably wouldn't even care if my feet stuck to the carpet as long as I was assured that it would be clean when I moved in!

#3 Jellyblush

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:45 PM

Personally, I only care that it is tidy. After all, how clean it is when you live in it is irrelevant to how clean it is when I live in it!

I care more about clutter. I don't like it, I want to see the place properly.

#4 Genabee

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:46 PM

I would do a full scrub/clean - but that is because until the day my stuff is out of the house, it is my home. People are coming into my home, I want it spotless. I don't care what brings them there...

Also, when things are spotless, it is easier to tell if something mysteriously disappears....

#5 elizabethany

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:46 PM

If you are currently living in it, then clean and tidy is fine.  Get rid of the most obvious, including ALL mould, but don't worry about washing the curtains unless they are obviously dirty.

It really depends on how much YOU want to do while you are packing.  It is not like you are getting a benefit from the rental.

#6 greenthumbs

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:47 PM

Neat and tidy is plenty! You're doing them a favour by allowing them to come into your space as it is.

I'm sure that would be fine from the landlords point of view as well.

#7 Shellby

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:48 PM

If its tidy I would just let them through, they know you have to do a major clean before they move in so I always never paid attention to that unless it looked like a long term issue like mould on the bathroom ceiling. If the house is tidy the chances are you will leave it clean when you leave also.

Its not up to you to sell the house anymore, so just enjoy and stay tidy.

#8 bettymm

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:49 PM

Of course it also depends where you live and how easy it is to get a rental. In Perth the market is so tight that I probably wouldn't even care if my feet stuck to the carpet as long as I was assured that it would be clean when I moved in!

Yep, its pretty tight here in canberra too!  I look at the basic structures and make sure it all looks in good order ie.  decent carpet/curtains/ bathroom/kitchen  . Normal household mess I dont care about at all, I can look through that easily.   I am put off by awful smells though, because Im wary that it is coming from the carpet, in which case is hopeless ever eliminating it from a rental.

#9 jayskette

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:52 PM

You are cleaning a house which you no longer own so a tenant that is not your tenant will occupy it?!?!

#10 Holidayromp

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:56 PM

At the end of the day the tenant won't care.  They need a roof over their heads. However the house will be made spotless (hopefully) before they move in so whether or not you have a clean up whilst they are inspecting is wasting your time.

#11 Jane Jetson

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:05 PM

Tidy and mould-free is good enough, really - and don't cook fish the night before!

Last time we had prospective tenants through, our place was basically a Legoland of packing boxes... as long as you can actually see things like the carpet and whether there are wardrobes, and it's reasonably clean, they should be fine.

#12 -*meh*-

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:11 PM

i have had landlords bring through tenants when stuff was half packed...

as a new tenant coming in you are looking more at the layout and features of the house, not what the people currently living have... as long as its clean and people can see the actual house features then meh!

#13 Phascogale

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:24 PM

What's in your contract of sale?  Does it say that you have to do a complete clean?  Widows inside and out, every door and window track spotless and all dust from every area cleaned off?  Do you have to do a professional clean on your carpets?

If not (and I don't see why it would be there as you are not the one responsible for getting it to renting out standards), then I would just have the place nice and tidy like you would normally have it if you were still living in it.  Don't worry about any boxes stacked around as you are packing.

No one is judging you on your standards when they quickly go through a house to see if it's suitable - and if they do it's their problem.  They may open a few cupboards or not.

When leaving your own home, it's nice if the place has had it's floors mopped and the carpets vacuumed and all the cupboards wiped out.  That's it usually unless there is something in the contract.  When we moved into our first home that we bought, the oven was dirty and the kitchen cupboards were not cleaned out at all - everything had been removed but that was it.

We are moving into our own home in the next few days and vacating a rental.  At the moment there are boxes everywhere.  And the property manager is fine with it and expects it.  There's only been one prospective person through (who decided not to rent it) and the agent wants to bring another couple through next week.  Not going to happen in a hurry because of our actual move.  But the catch 22 is that the house actually looks a lot better with furniture in it (even with the boxes) than it does when it's empty (and spotless).  The paint on the walls is 10 years old and horribly marked (was there when we moved in and it's like things like there's a line where the couch is up against the wall - hidden by the couch but very noticable when not) and the carpet has lots of marks (mainly where the carpet hasn't seen the light of day because of the owners furniture where the rest is all faded and where the furniture was it's very dark - we've only been here 12 months).  And don't forget the million and one picture hooks on the walls (once again, not our doing).

#14 alyssatahli

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:33 PM

I wouldn't let them in in the first place. You aren't going to benefit from it in any way but you are risking your own belongings. Do you know that you won't be covered by insurance if something is broken or stolen because you have invited these strangers into your home?

#15 summer80

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:40 PM

QUOTE (Wizzlet @ 17/01/2013, 07:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would do a full scrub/clean - but that is because until the day my stuff is out of the house, it is my home. People are coming into my home, I want it spotless. I don't care what brings them there...

Also, when things are spotless, it is easier to tell if something mysteriously disappears....

This is how I feel I guess but it looks like I'm in the minority! Have just cleaned the bathroom and generally tidied, vacced and mopped. No boxes packed yet (we dont have that much stuff and are only moving a block away and its two weeks away) Am restraining myself from buying fresh flowers and ironing the show tea towels and bath towels!  rolleyes.gif

Think I might need to accept I'm just a house proud clean freak!

Thanks all for the perspective!

#16 summer80

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:44 PM

QUOTE (alyssatahli @ 17/01/2013, 08:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I wouldn't let them in in the first place. You aren't going to benefit from it in any way but you are risking your own belongings. Do you know that you won't be covered by insurance if something is broken or stolen because you have invited these strangers into your home?

This is not really "me". If I was the new owner I'd appreciate the new ones being flexible and helpful! I'm not that fussed about stuff - we don't have many valuables and while I've worked hard to make our home look great if anything is broken it can be replaced!

#17 starfire

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:20 PM

Doesn't worry me.

In my renting days, I inspected a place that I was interested in renting while the previous tenants were home and they were cooking dinner. The place was lived in (i.e. not spotless) but we weren't there to check out how the people lived, we just wanted to make sure that the rooms looked reasonably sized and presentable as well as the carpets being clean. We ended up taking the place.

Just do a quick tidy and vacuum and don't worry about the rest - it's not your responsibility.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.