Gluten Free Pizza Dough

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 NotRocketScience

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:25 PM

I'm having a friends over and going to do home made pizzas. One of the guests is celiac so I want to make gluten free pizza dough.

If I substitute gluten free flour for the plain flour in the recipe below do you think it will work?

2 cups plain flour
8g instant yeast
1 tsp castor sugar
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp olive oil
3/4 cup warm water

This recipe normally works fantastically without fail so wondering if I'd have the same success with the gluten free flour. I just want something that is relatively easy to make so I'm not spending too much time labouring over the pizzas rather than spending time with my guests.

#2 Escapin

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:34 PM

To be honest, I'd just make something else - risotto maybe? The gluten in pizza dough is a really key ingredient. Or just buy gluten free bases?

#3 mummacat

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:51 PM

Gluten free flour does not behave the same way as normal gluten containing flour. Sometimes it is a simple matter of just replace gluten free flour with normal flour in a recipe other times you will be left with a dry, crumbly product. Not all gluten free flours are that great and different flours work better for different cooking.

Honestly, I would just buy the pre-made Gluten Free bases from Coles or Foodland (IGA), Freedom make a nice thin base.

I say this not just for the hit and miss of the flour (and you wanted a quick option) but also because of potential cross contamination of gluten containing flour into the gluten free pizza dough. It is so easy to do if you are no used to gluten free cooking. Both DS1 and I have coeliac and DS1 is very sensitive to cross contamination and I know I would be more comfortable with a pre-made gluten free base for him. It is really great that you are wanting to and are willing to go to all the effort to cater for your guest. Why don't you talk to your guest and see if they have a recipe or a favourite brand of pre-made bases. I know if you talked to me I would say thanks and I will just get the bases for you and bring them along.

You may also want to check if the ingredients you are placing on the pizza are gluten free. A lot of small goods are not gluten free eg hams, salami, bacon etc. You need to read the labels some brands are ok. Also double check your sauces.

#4 brazen

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:35 AM

this is my fave GF pizza base http://www.karenmartini.com/cook/recipes/coeliac-pizza-base

#5 hanz33

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:38 AM

I would just buy a gluten free pizza base. I am ceoliac, I never bother making it from scratch. If you can find one in a freezer isle they are better. Just remember, what ever you do - it will never taste the same as normal pizza wink.gif but I love my gluten free stuff now original.gif

Edited by hanz33, 18 January 2013 - 07:40 AM.

#6 VintageEyes

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:43 AM

I use gluten free bread mix for pizza rather than flour. It should be ok, just be prepared for a flat base as it is the gluten that actually makes dough "fluffy".

Also I second checking ALL your ingredients. Even some tomato paste has wheat as a thickener.

#7 CleverChook

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:10 AM

I'd just buy a ready made base.  I'm not a bad cook, but my attempts at gluten free pizza dough, bread and pastry have all been abysmal.  (I have had slight success with homemade pasta though).

#8 Froger

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:23 AM

I find that gluten free flour does not rise with yeast. I've made gluten free pizza bases using gluten free four and yeast and was a dismal failure.

You can buy gluten free mix for making pizza bases, I have used it and it turns out well. I buy from Woolworths. Or just be buying the ready made bases.  biggrin.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.