Gastro please get lost

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 SushiLover

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:34 PM

Just wondering is there a gastro bug going around that causes vomiting, fever and headaches at the moment?

At first I thought it was car sickness as we travelled back from the coast and DD threw up once in the car and then again when we got home and since we have been home another 3 times.

DS started throwing up the moment we walked through the door and has continued to vomit and has a fever of 38.6. He is also complaining of a headache. I have given him both nurofen and panadol but they came straight back up. Its past 4 hrs since his last lot of nurofen so have just given more of that in hopes to get the temp down.

I am now fairly certain its not car sickness, so wondering if anyone has had a bug like this recently.

Edited by rjflc69, 17 January 2013 - 11:39 PM.
Edit to remove profanity from title

#2 Chelli

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:49 PM

There is a bug like that going around where I live (in Tas) at the moment. We have been lucky in that none of my children have caught it yet *touches wood*

I hope your kids feel better soon, I hate gastro with a passion.

#3 i-candi

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:51 PM

DS started with headache last night, by dinner he was freezing in a warm room. DS stumbled through dinner and went to bed covered with his doona. Woke hours later sweating profusely.

panadol/nurofen worked with the headache.

Woke next day ok but then started vomiting then felt fine. Went into his room to do some German lessons on my laptop and fell asleep. Four hours late he woke feeling ok and apart from panadol/nurofen for headaches he is fine????

Had to cancel his eye appointment today and spoke to the hairdresser and she requested both kids cancel their appointments for tomorrow. Lucky we still have next week to organise these things original.gif

Hope DH doesn't get it as he left for a work trip this afternoon, hope DD doesn't get it because she is a drama queen and I hope I don't get it or DS will be preparing food for DD until I'm better (noodles/toast anyone??? lol).

ETA DS had the runs as well, he said he was up every 5 minutes pooping overnight. I don't believe he was pooping every 5 minutes, maybe once or twice lol. I did have to clean up the mess though sick.gif

Edited by i-candi, 17 January 2013 - 08:55 PM.

#4 barrington

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:56 PM

I'm in SE Qld and three of the childcare workers at DD2's CCC had called in sick this morning with a vomiting bug.

#5 AliC05

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:02 PM

I understand that there is a new strain of norovirus going around. I thought it went rampaging primarily in winter - but it can go round when its warm too.

Apparently you get the headache, sore tummy first - then it can lead to projectile vomiting and lots of diahorrea.

Im so sorry if you family is sick. My little guy came home from daycare last friday and started vomiting randomly (and was randomly then ok a few hours later). I HAATTEEE gastro - its gross and stressful and so crap (literally !!)

sad.gif

#6 SushiLover

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:07 PM

Barrington - I am in SE Queensland too. Have you had many kids away with it at daycare? This is most definitely a nasty strain.

AliC05 - I saw on the news about the new strain of norovirus an had the same thought, wondering if my kids have it. They have gone over a year without gastro - so I was quite shocked when DD started vomiting this morning.

#7 mez70

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:13 PM

Yep Boxing Day DS1 and I were both felled by an horrific vomiting bug. DS threw up a few times and basically slept most of the day, plus had a temp. Whereas I had the joy of vomiting for over 13 hrs not even been able to handle sipping water etc. I basically vomited and slept the whole day. DH felt ill and queasy but thankfully was still functioning. Thankfully DD and DS2 avoided it, espec DD as she is the kind of child who ends up in hosp with it.....

When DS and I were  ill and then DH who NEVER gets sick  I was so petrified it was food poisioning and rang my folks to check they were ok espec my dad but thankfully they were fine but it was the most horrific day I can remember in ages. Once the vomiting stopped it took me prob 3 or 4 days to really feel better

#8 Dresden

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:15 PM

miss 17months stool sample came back positive for rotavirus today. Pretty nasty bug sad.gif

#9 melaine

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:15 PM

Yes, I've had a fluey/gastro type thing - feverish, aching, tired, headache and stomach pains. DS had similar. BIL/SIL had similar with vomiting and neighbour had diarrhoea. So seems to be going around here (melbourne).

#10 IsolaBella

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:22 PM

We had our first ever gastro bug for the family over New Years. I suspect Norovirus. Not fun.

My kids are 3,5,7 and we have previously never had a gastro bug. So it is a bad one.

#11 kadoodle

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:22 PM

QUOTE (melaine @ 17/01/2013, 10:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes, I've had a fluey/gastro type thing - feverish, aching, tired, headache and stomach pains. DS had similar. BIL/SIL had similar with vomiting and neighbour had diarrhoea. So seems to be going around here (melbourne).

yep, we all had it in the run up tochristmas. It was horrid

#12 mybabymonsters

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:26 AM

We're in WA and myself and 3 ds's have all just had this type of gastro bug over Christmas and New Year.  I took ds2 to the Dr with a 41C fever and she confirmed that there is a nasty gastro bug going around, which is highly contagious.  The symptoms were high temperature, vomiting, diarrhoea, aches and pains and headache.  It's a nasty virus which which lasted around 4-5 days.

#13 SushiLover

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:26 AM

QUOTE (It'sallgood @ 17/01/2013, 11:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, if you realy DO love sushi and have eaten it lately? Tehn don't be surprised to get fairly regular bouts of "gastro" Seriously, it rates very poorly in food poisoning tests and many, many Sushi places have been found to be seriously deficient and their food seriously toxic.

There's always "bugs" going around and people love to find one to blame gastro on. It could be food poisoning or any number of active very virilant bugs tha tcause gastro. As long as you aren't getting dehydrated, it will pass.

Very bland diet, avoid citris juices, lots of water...

Tamm

Tamm we haven't had sushi since Tuesday lunchtime (I had some too and I am not sick). I am fairly certain it is a case of gastro that will pass. I will be getting DS seen at the dr's this morning as he continues to bring panadol and nurofen up and its not get enough time to absorb and help his temperature.

#14 KylieY

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:35 AM

It's rife everywhere at the moment. I had it last week. I did not have vomiting, but I had everything else! The pain I had in my stomach was so severe, it felt like contractions. I went to the GP and I had gastro AND a stomach infection. It was horrible and lasted 4 days.

I hope your little one gets over it quickly.

#15 Excentrique Feral

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:44 AM

we had it last week, DS had high temps, aches and pains everywhere, but only threw up the once. The fever lasted for quite a few days. DD woke up, complained her stomach hurt and spewed once 2 days after DS got sick, then she was fine. Sounds like we got off lightly.

#16 Rachaelxxx

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:53 AM

My daughter had it two days ago and it passed through within 24 hours and the symptoms were as you just described.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.