Movers disappeared with all our furniture
What are our options?

• Please log in to reply
161 replies to this topic

#1 bubblelou

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:05 AM

Hi all,

DH and I moved interstate and had all our possessions picked up on the 4th of January for delivery within 24 hours.

We have just been told one lie after another about where our furniture, etc is.  Since this Monday, the mover has stopped all communication with us.  We have tried calling/texting/emailing but no response.

We have called the police after not being able to get hold of them but have been advised that this is a civil not criminal matter.

We have contacted Consumer Affairs and they have taken on our case but progress is slow.  On that truck is basically everything that we own.  

The mover is refusing to tell us exactly where his truck with all our stuff is and is also refusing to tell us who his insurer is.

Is there anything else that we can do from our end?  I feel absolutely awful because apart from DH and my stuff, my best friend's suitcase containing her things and documents are on there (she went overseas for her elective and is also moving interstate so left her things with us).

#2 Maple Leaf

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:09 AM

That's awful! I don't understand why this isn't classed as criminal as it's theft isn't it?

#3 Rachaelxxx

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:10 AM

Wow OP, I am so sorry, how scary and frustrating for you.  I hope everything works out for you.

#4 IVF Baby

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:11 AM

I would call 3AW and get them on the case.  The power of radio can be amazing

#5 Heather11

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:13 AM

QUOTE (Maple Leaf @ 18/01/2013, 11:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's awful! I don't understand why this isn't classed as criminal as it's theft isn't it?

Exactly.  I would be going back to the police station and asking to speak to the person in charge and that you want to report a theft.

#6 JustBeige

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:16 AM

I think I'd be calling Legal Aid or my lawyer for advice.  

What did Consumer Affairs (I take it this is Dept Of Fair Trade in your state) say?

Also ACCC may be able to help or advise what to do next.

I also dont understand how its not theft.

The only thing I can think of is because you 'gave' the goods to them to be transported as opposed to them helping themselves.

Edited by JustBeige, 18 January 2013 - 12:06 PM.

#7 au*lit

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:17 AM

Crap. I would be feeling utterly sick in your situation. Do you have transit insurance?

I don't have any helpful advice to offer other than what the PPs have said.

Good luck and I hope it turns up soon.

#8 Squeekums Da Feral

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:18 AM

Wow! Thats crap OP!
How is that not theft?
Good luck hope you get your stuff back and get them raked over the coals!

#9 Beancat

OMG.  def ring talkback radio. What about the power of social media?  Was this company a so called reputable company?  Could you tell us who they are so we can start bombarding their website, alert people on our FB pages not to use them

#10 Feral Lemur

Wow I have never heard of this happening before.

Is this a company still advertising their services?

What sorts of lies were they telling?

Edited by amoral lemur, 18 January 2013 - 11:21 AM.

#11 Guest_AllegraM_*

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:19 AM

Contact the Australian Furniture Removalists Association for advice. http://www.afra.com.au/

Of course, this is assuming your removalists are members. Were they are proper removalist company with offices etc or more a bloke who hires out his truck?

You have my sympathy. That would be awful. I would also return to my local police station and insist they take a statement, even if they have no intention of investigating. Getting a paper trail is a good start, plus you can email the statement to the removalists to scare them.

#12 bright*future

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:21 AM

Wow, I definitely would have thought this was criminal as well.  If you are going to go down a legal path I would look at all those avenues before anything like talkback radio, as it could damage a case later.

#13 Funwith3

QUOTE (IVF Baby @ 18/01/2013, 12:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would call 3AW and get them on the case.  The power of radio can be amazing

Thats a great idea. OP, is the owner of the transport company in an area where you can go and pay a visit to him directly, rather than trying him on the phone? It might be worth a drive.

It does sound like your stuff has vanished and he doesn't want to admit it. If there wasn't a problem with your belongings, I'm sure he'd be telling you where it is. Or at least doing his best to track it down. I'm sorry, it sounds bad I think.

Call 3AW.

#14 AmberNut

There are currently 4000 EB'ers from around Australia and around the world online. Tell us a few things about these people, the route that they were meant to be taking and the truck and we might be able to locate it for you!

ETA: OP, I would be beside myself, I am really feeling for you and with a move planned for us from Melbourne to Auckland, I am a little more nervous now....

Edited by AmberNut, 18 January 2013 - 11:35 AM.

#15 CallMeFeral

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:25 AM

ohmy.gif

That's crazy!

Is there an office you can turn up to and refuse to leave until you see someone? Is there a head office or parent company you can take it to?

#16 TheCeriseClupea

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:30 AM

It is THEFT, the police are fobbing you off & they should be taking it seriously. Many years ago I moved from Melbourne to Queensland & a lot of my belongings magically vanished in transit. A week after they dropped my load off I realised that things were missing, I called the company & they spun me a heap of lies. I called the police & put in a stolen property report & what do you know my belongings were magically found.Good luck OP I hope you get your contents back soon. I am with the other poster who said name them, no harm in making it known they are not a reputable company.

#17 bakesferalgirls

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:34 AM

Was the contents of your home insured? File a report with the police for you property being stolen. If you get no joy from the police, speak to your insurance company and see if they can help. Chances are they will do everything they can to recover your property rather than having to give you a pay out.

#18 Heather11

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:36 AM

It is THEFT, the police are fobbing you off & they should be taking it seriously.

I guess it depends if she went in there wanting to report a theft or just advised them she couldn't get in contact with removal company which may just be a civil matter.

That is why I said she should go back to the police and say she is reporting a theft.

#19 mylittlemen

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:38 AM

Reading the OP, the first thought I had was "I bet the removal company owes someone else some money and I wonder if the truck has been impounded to cover the debt" (and you are just unlucky that your stuff is on it). I hope they are a member of the Removalists association, for your sake.

ETA: I would report the goods as stolen to the police. You have requested your goods. The person in possession has refused to hand them over - how is that not theft?

Edited by mylittlemen, 18 January 2013 - 11:39 AM.

#20 NSG

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:38 AM

Wow. I would do all of the previous suggestions.

Call the association

Call your preferred chat show

Insist on lodging a police report for theft

I bet they miracously find your possessions after that. Please also publish the name of the removalist company on this thread. We can all help you with your negative PR campaign!

#21 MrsLexiK

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:40 AM

Yup def call back the police/go to the station to report a theft and then call talk back radio.  

Hope your stuff turns up

#22 LittleMissPink

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:41 AM

If you have contents insurance then they would be covered under that until they reach the new house Im sure. The only time they are not covered is when moving onto and off the truck I was told.

And yes, tell us who the company was, where they were going from and to, and we can look out for you!

#23 bec4

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:45 AM

It is not a theft, so telling her to go back to police and demanding they do something is not going to help.  They will also not take a statement even if you DEMAND it if there is no criminal charges to be layed.  It is classed as a civil matter because she entered into an agreement with the removalist to pick up her things and deliver them somewhere else. They didn't just come to her house and take the items without permission.

Them not delivering the items is another matter and definately something that needs to be dealt with by Business and Consumer affairs - or similar. Definately civil court.  As other people have mentioned they must have an address or something that you can attend etc.

I hope that you get some answers soon and your belongings back.  I would be beside myself.

Bec

#24 Sassy Dingo

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:47 AM

There is no theft here - this is a contract dispute. The OP entered into a contract for carriage of goods from one place to another. They failed to hold up their end of the contract - therefore civil dispute.

#25 amabanana

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:53 AM

QUOTE (bakesgirls @ 18/01/2013, 12:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Was the contents of your home insured? File a report with the police for you property being stolen. If you get no joy from the police, speak to your insurance company and see if they can help. Chances are they will do everything they can to recover your property rather than having to give you a pay out.

QUOTE (LittleMissPink @ 18/01/2013, 12:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you have contents insurance then they would be covered under that until they reach the new house Im sure. The only time they are not covered is when moving onto and off the truck I was told.

And yes, tell us who the company was, where they were going from and to, and we can look out for you!

It depends on the policy.   Many policies will not cover 'goods in transit' Ie when you are moving house.

I hope your stuff is found soon OP.   sad.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• winter-school-holiday-guide

School holiday guide

Here is what's on around Australia in your state. From ice skating to music theatre classes there is something to suit every child and every budget.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• ek-toysales-thumb

Best buys of the 2014 toy sales

We have rounded up some of the best from this year's half yearly toy sales from the big stores around Australia.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.