Target return
without the box?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 *melrose*

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:52 PM

Hi all biggrin.gif Dh brought a new toaster the other day, we have used it about 4 times and it smells really weird like metal burning or something(no its not the smell of burning toast lol) so we have the box and receipt are we are to do a return and get our money back?
Thanks original.gif

Edit to say i have just looked for the box and it has been put in the bin ohmy.gif so will they still do a return?

Edited by *melrose*, 18 January 2013 - 04:12 PM.

#2 Expelliarmus

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:55 PM

I took a portable DVD player back without a receipt recently - I didn't want a refund, I just wanted to alert them that the thing caught fire. They gave me an exchange coupon without a second thought. I think your chances are fairly good.

#3 Jax12

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:58 PM

I think you'll be fine with the box and a receipt.  Those stores are pretty good at accepting products back, especially if you tell them it's faulty.

#4 fifi-trixibelle

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:02 PM

I've done similar before when I bought a toaster where all the elements inside didn't work. They took it back and gave us another one which was no better than the first so we ended up with a different one altogether.

#5 amesv

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:03 PM

If you have the box and receipt you should have a good chance.

#6 *melrose*

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:09 PM

Thanks all :-)

#7 NunSoFeral

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:11 PM

Under QLD Govt Consumer protection provisions, you are afforded the right to return for refund or replacement
See here

ETA - the QLD bit

Edited by gettheetoanunnery, 18 January 2013 - 01:13 PM.

#8 *melrose*

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:00 PM

WILL THEY DO IT WITHOUT THE BOX?
Thanks

Edited by *melrose*, 18 January 2013 - 04:13 PM.

#9 *melrose*

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:17 PM

Anyone?

#10 EsmeLennox

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:20 PM

If it is faulty, yes they will.

#11 Heather11

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:26 PM

New laws have been in place for a while that yes they have to refund or replace with or without box for faulty goods.

The segment I saw where a guy from consumer affairs was talking about it, he stated that it will makea lot of older people happy because he had seen garages full of boxes people had kept just in case a product had to be returned

#12 Exhaustedbuthappy

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:29 PM

QUOTE (*melrose* @ 18/01/2013, 02:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
WILL THEY DO IT WITHOUT THE BOX?
Thanks

Um, no need to shout!

#13 NunSoFeral

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:30 PM

Proof of Purchase is all that is required - i.e receipt. No box is not an issue.

And if you haven't got receipt, I believe that under the QLD consumer protection provisions you are still able to approach the manufacturer for replacement (could be wrong - check the link in my previous post)

#14 Vickery

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:31 PM

I returned an iron to Target a few weeks ago with a receipt but no box. I'd only used it once and it wasn't faulty, I just found it heavy and difficult to use and didn't like it.  They gave me a full refund without question.

#15 *melrose*

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:32 PM

Um, no need to shout!

oh shut up!

Thanks everyone just phoned them, they will give me a full refund.

Thanks

#16 khunella

Posted 19 January 2013 - 01:55 PM

I would guess a faulty, even dangerous device definitely will be accepted for return by a Target. Don't know about getting your money back, legally they don't have to (they just need to provide you with one that works, and does what it says it does), but Target and some of those big stores tend to be very liberal about refunds.

#17 SCARFACE CLAW

Posted 19 January 2013 - 02:04 PM

With new toasters you always get the smell of the elements burning the first few times you use them, so it probably isn't faulty.

#18 ~sydblue~

Posted 19 January 2013 - 02:06 PM

Just don't do what one person did and try and return an item to a store that doesn't sell that particular item.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.