Pee smell on mattress
Anything else I can do?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 TopsyTurvy

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:23 PM

DS has wet through his nappy (not last night) but the night before.

I washed the sheets and mattress protector and checked the mattress and it seemed dry.

Obviously not as today I could smell that horrid stale urine smell.

I have washed the area with clothes detergent, sprayed with vinegar and bicarb and water mix.  Blotted and repeated.

I have sprinkled with bicarb and dragged it outside in the sun to dry.

What else can I do?

It's a brand new mattress and cost a small fortune, and I want rid of the smell completely.

Thanks original.gif

#2 Becstarinator

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:26 PM

Put it in the sun for a few hours should help.

#3 ubermum

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:35 PM

The sun might help, but I have found once urine gets in, and you wet it and spread it further in an attempt to clean it, it's never 100% again. The only time I have saved something is when I used a product specifically for urine called Urine off. Our vet stocks it.

My kids have fairly inexpensive mattresses for that reason. They have full, waterproof mattress protectors on them (like a fitted sheet) and over the sheet we have brolly sheets.

#4 HeartMyBoys

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:51 PM

Try eucolyptus oil. You can get it in a spray bottle aswell as a liquid. Love the stuff, it has so many uses

#5 TopsyTurvy

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:56 PM

Arrrggghhh, it keeps spitting rain for a couple of seconds and then stopping.

Cue mad dash outside, but by the time I get there it's stopped again laughing2.gif

#6 POPP!NS

Posted 19 January 2013 - 02:36 PM

Put it somewhere undercover outside and spinkle bi carb over the effected area. Leave it ALL day and overnight if possible. Then vacuum it off and you should have your clean smell back original.gif We do this at least once a month for our eldest son who often has small accidents. Hope it helps!

#7 Feral_Bubble

Posted 19 January 2013 - 02:43 PM

I use a spry bottle to spray undiluted white vinegar on it, spraying til it's wet to touch, then I open the window and aim a fan at the mattress til it's dry.

My DD occasionally has accidents in my bed and I am yet to find a mattress protector that prevents the smell from seeping in, so I tried the above, and no more smell for me!

#8 Etcetera

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:13 AM

Yep, cheap white vinegar does the trick.

#9 jo074

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:22 AM

sounds like you've tried most things, but I can second the 'leave in the sun and wind as long as possible' theory - several days if possible? DS had an accident in our bed (the one night I had taken the mattress protector off to wash it!) and while I tried vinegar, baking soda and lemon juice, I just ended up with a very wierd stinky mess. So the day we left to go on a holiday, I tried shampoo and water, scrubbed like crazy, put the bed where the wee spot would be in the sun a lot while we were away, opened a window (inaccessible top storey, so safe!) to give it breeze and when we came back a week later, it smelt nice again.

#10 TopsyTurvy

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:42 AM

Well it worked original.gif

No pee smell thank goodness original.gif

#11 credence

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:16 PM

I'm so glad it worked. I was just going to say that Urine Off stuff really works. It's made for cat pee (and if you've ever smelled that you'll know it far worse than human pee.)

It works by using an enzyme that eats the wee, so it actually disappears. I've also found on my couch febreeze works rather well.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Google (1)

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• ek-toysales-thumb

Best buys of the 2014 toy sales

We have rounded up some of the best from this year's half yearly toy sales from the big stores around Australia.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.