My "Clean" vs Your "Clean"
How do YOU define clean?

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#1 MissingInAction

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:44 PM

How do you define "clean" at your house?
What does "clean" look like at your house?  What does "tidy look like at your house?"

With one of my circle of friends (none have children and neither do we), ours is probably the least clean and least tidy.   ohmy.gif Everyone else's house ALWAYS looks like it came out of a magazine.

With another circle of friends (some have children, some don't, some are single, some are partnered) ours is probably the tidiest and among the cleanest.

I don't mop often (except for the laundry where the dog sleeps; see my other recent post)... not often at all... i'm often hesitant to even admit how rarely i mop the rest of the tiled areas of the house.  Most people I know mop once a week.  How often do you mop?  
What do you see as necessary cleaning for each day, each week, each month, etc?  Do you have a different routine for when you're hosting a big event (eg; a party)?  We do...  a fly on the wall would definitely know when a party was coming up at our place because I'd be cleaning strange parts of the house that never get cleaned otherwise.  

Thoughts?

#2 MummyIHK

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:56 PM

QUOTE (MiaMoo86 @ 18/01/2013, 08:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How do you define "clean" at your house?
What does "clean" look like at your house?  What does "tidy look like at your house?"

With one of my circle of friends (none have children and neither do we), ours is probably the least clean and least tidy.   ohmy.gif Everyone else's house ALWAYS looks like it came out of a magazine.

With another circle of friends (some have children, some don't, some are single, some are partnered) ours is probably the tidiest and among the cleanest.

I don't mop often (except for the laundry where the dog sleeps; see my other recent post)... not often at all... i'm often hesitant to even admit how rarely i mop the rest of the tiled areas of the house.  Most people I know mop once a week.  How often do you mop?  
What do you see as necessary cleaning for each day, each week, each month, etc?  Do you have a different routine for when you're hosting a big event (eg; a party)?  We do...  a fly on the wall would definitely know when a party was coming up at our place because I'd be cleaning strange parts of the house that never get cleaned otherwise.  

Thoughts?

My idea of a clean house is floors vacuumed and mopped, bathroom, ensuite, laundry and kitchen cleaned from top to toe, all beds made, house completely dusted ('trinkets' as well as surfaces), no dishes in sink/dishwasher, no stuff lying around, basically everything in its place.  (I have had people visit my home on an average day and describe it as 'show home' like and  have to admit I love that, it is what I strive for).

Tidy is much the same but with maybe some dishes in the sink/dishwasher and some washing in the washing basket or hanging on the clothes horse drying.

The above is how I like my house but I don't judge other people if they this is not how they like to have their house.

ETA - Monthly jobs for me would be things like cleaning windows, polishing kitchen cabinets (timber), sorting through cupboards etc.

I have my house somewhere between clean and tidy before I will even consider leaving the house each day.

Edited by MummyIHK, 18 January 2013 - 08:03 PM.

#3 imamumto3

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:00 PM

I usually vacuum every couple of days and mop weekly.  bathrooms are generally done weekly.  the kids have toys out but they go back into the toy room each night.  things, such as small toys,or drawings usually get dumped on the elevated bit of my kitchen bench.

if I know people are likely to drop over I will do a vacuum and a quick tidy of the kitchen and toys.  for a planned function, floors would get vacuumed and mopped, everything put away including the kids art work they leave around (dd loves to draw!) and the dishes in the dish rack.  bathrooms would be cleaned.

if I'm running late, or lazy, downstairs will be done but not upstairs as most visitors don't go upstairs.

my house is one of the tidier ones in my groups of friends, but as most of my friends have kids we don't expect to visit and see a perfectly tidy, Not lived in look house.

#4 ~chiquita~

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:01 PM

A massive clean once a week, that includes mopping, vacuuming, dusting, cleaning all surfaces including bathrooms, toilets, showers etc.

Extra cleaning gets done when needed. That is, a piece of mango / biscuit crumbs will be cleaned up immediately, toilets scrubbed and cleaned when needed. Washing is done every two days and hung out straight away, folded when taken off the line. The basket might sit on the kitchen table for a couple of days but will eventually get put away.

I don't have to rush around in a frenzy when a rental inspection is due, because the house is maintained on a weekly basis.  

I feel good when my house is clean and tidy. original.gif

#5 blackcat20

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:09 PM

Errr, were probably on the slack side. But we've been dealing with my grandma being in hospital so everything has been pushed aside lately.

But we definitely don't mop weekly. With cats and dogs there's almost no point, it's hairy five minutes later...

#6 FEdeRAL

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:09 PM

Well, let's just say that since having my two kids, my idea of "clean" nowadays would give my former self a rude shock.

We have hard flooring throughout the house. Vacuum once a week. Mop when the underside of my foot turns up grey which is around every 2 months (no shoes allowed in the house). Kitchen is always spotless and the rest of the house is untidy and a little dusty but clean-ish most of the time  ph34r.gif
But judging from PP's replies we are quite slack

#7 farfaraway

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:12 PM

I'm the exception amongst my friends. My house is generally both clean and tidy. I have massive anxiety issues about the state of my house so it is generally always in "showroom" condition. It's a very homely showroom though! I also have pretty tidy kids who put things away after they are finished and are really good at quick clean-ups at the end of the day.

Without wanting to sound as judgmental as I undoubtably will, a vast portion of my friends are pretty lax in their cleaning standards (dirty floors, lots of clutter, things not put away, general mess and chaos) and have homes that I would find impossible to live in. But I visit because they are my friends and although we have different styles of housekeeping, that's got nothing to do with why we're friends.

I'm aware of how awful I must sound. Really a nice person, just like a really clean and tidy house!

#8 BadCat

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:22 PM

Necessary cleaning only involves making sure everyone has some clean clothes and that we have some clean plates to eat off.  Everything else is optional.  On any given day I may do no housework whatsoever.  

I know I'm way below acceptable EB standards.  I don't sweep as often as most of you mop.  Fortunately we are perfectly comfortable with the lived in look.

#9 Beanbag Warrior

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:42 PM

QUOTE (BadCat @ 18/01/2013, 08:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Necessary cleaning only involves making sure everyone has some clean clothes and that we have some clean plates to eat off.  Everything else is optional.  On any given day I may do no housework whatsoever.  

I know I'm way below acceptable EB standards.  I don't sweep as often as most of you mop.  Fortunately we are perfectly comfortable with the lived in look.

This!  Often, the whole plates scenario is "wash as you require"

vacuuming happens when I start feeling the layer of cat hair is getting too thick.

#10 F1widow

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:53 PM

The part about looking like a magazine, to me, is more about styling. All our furniture was bought purely for functionality with looks being a secondary consideration. My place has no styling whatsoever.

And, i'll preface this by saying that I am not house proud, at all, but I always clean and tidy when I have guests. To me, it's common courtesy. But otherwise cleaning happens when I get sick of the mess. Rubbish goes out nightly (we have a toddler in nappies) and food doesn't sit around generally but the dishes might sit for a night if rinsed. On the other hand, clean and dirty clothes sit out until we have guests.

#11 MissingInAction

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:16 PM

QUOTE (F1widow @ 18/01/2013, 08:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The part about looking like a magazine, to me, is more about styling. All our furniture was bought purely for functionality with looks being a secondary consideration. My place has no styling whatsoever.

And, i'll preface this by saying that I am not house proud, at all, but I always clean and tidy when I have guests. To me, it's common courtesy. But otherwise cleaning happens when I get sick of the mess. Rubbish goes out nightly (we have a toddler in nappies) and food doesn't sit around generally but the dishes might sit for a night if rinsed. On the other hand, clean and dirty clothes sit out until we have guests.

Actually, that might be it.
The homes I thought of as "magazine-like" are all with nice matching sets of furniture and, know that i think about it, are quite generic... they're all kind of blending into one another; they're that similar.  
Ours is a mistmatch; a lot of our furniture has a good story behind it, each room has a "vibe" or vague colour scheme sort of but teh house as a whole doesn't match.  So even when everything's clean it still doesn't look as good as theirs... thankyou for the different perspective, hadn't thought of it like that original.gif  It's a style thing.

#12 Feral_Pooks

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:23 PM

I know what clean is, I just don't care to achieve it.

#13 I'm Batman

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:25 PM

well if you ask my mil She is clean and I am dirty. If you ask me my house is untidy, not filthy, the house my ds went to play at on the weekend with fleas, yeah filthy.

My children ruin everything, I consider myself doing ok if all the dishes are washed, the rugs are clean and the kitchen is cleaned. That is not how I like it but how I live given the little support I get from my husband due to his long long work hours.  I have small children. When they get less demanding the house will probably reflect that. I prefer to have my house cleaner tbh and it distresses me but there is only so much I can do, getting into bed at 2am of late having finished off the kitchen and put out clothes, yeah, consider myself done for the day.

#14 SCARFACE CLAW

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:33 PM

I'm pretty fussy, and like everything to be in its place and clean. I'm the anti-hoarder, and throw everything that isn't necessary out (except for my "pretty things"). Admittedly with two small children it gets out of hand at times, but I like to have the house tidy, surfaces wiped, everything put away and floors vacuumed before I go to bed. HATE waking up to a mess.

#15 Taffyk

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:36 PM

I'm with you BadCat!  Cleaning is overrated.

#16 niggles

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:38 PM

I found the contortions involved in trying to get the whole house clean at once too difficult to prioritise so before I got a cleaner my house was tidy pretty regularly but rarely if ever clean all at the same time. And I hated it. I was always looking the other way and in a small house it's hard to do.

I have a dishwasher and a cleaner now and so I'm able to end each day with a clean and tidy kitchen, the bathroom stays looking presentable most of the time. The toys get swept into baskets and buckets each evening and organised and packed away properly on cleaning day. The bedrooms get a thorough tidy, dust and clean once each week and the kitchen, bathroom, laundry and floors get a good going over. So now we start each weekend with an organised, tidy and clean home and I love it. No more playing catch up, more playing. I really hope I can keep a cleaner in the budget.

#17 Flaxen

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:39 PM

I'll start by saying my house is seldom "clean and tidy".

However, I have high standards of what i consider to be clean and tidy.

Perhaps thats why my house is seldom clean and tidy   laugh.gif

Mostly its clutter on the dining table, or toys covering the lounge room floor, or papers on top of the fish tank lid, which i can and do live with more often than not, but what i cant live with is dirt. Whether its the hair from the dogs (who sleep inside in the house of a night), or the pebbles and bits of outside stuff that make there way inside that i simply cant stand and its the one thing thats always kept on top of, which is really hard being on a dusty farm. I vacuum every day and mop once a week, but tidy up clutter only when people come over, which is sadly rare.
Kitchen gets cleaned daily, but bathrooms are done when needed, a little too long needed sometimes  blush.gif

Pet hates: Dog hair (pun intended)
               Floor dirt
               Smelly Toilet

Can overlook: Clutter and papers
                Toys
                Laundry in baskets

#18 kazzamama

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:39 PM

Before kids, the house was generally clean and tidy (or at least 5 mins from being so)... but we lived in a small apartment, both working so no one home to make a mess most of the time. I really didn't need to vacum very often.
Now, we have 2 small kids, one of which loves to empty the kitchen drawers, and 3 adults (SIL living with us)... I find I have less time, but the cleaning needs to be done more often! The kids and I are home in the day, so there is almost always empty (or partly empty) plates on the table, kitchen can become a bomb site in no time. SIL likes to bake, but also is great with cleaning up in the kitchen.
We are also dogsitting atm, and I really notice the difference with the floors! Drool spots and pawprints everywhere, and my goodness the hair! Generally I don't bother mopping very often - hard flooring throughout, but I sweep as needed in specific spots and sweep/wipe the floor under the high chair a few times a day. I aim to clean bathrooms, change sheets etc weekly, and try to tidy daily or it becomes completely out of hand and we lose stuff. There are a few 'hotspots' that are always cluttered and every day I look at them and think "I must tidy that, it would look so much better!"
I always keep the girls' room tidy (no toys to distract when they're supposed to be going to sleep) There is usually some form of partially-processed (usually clean) laundry around the house - I have 4 baskets and often will leave clean, folded, sorted laundry around much longer than I should.
I think compared to many on EB I am pretty slack, but I really think the size of your home/family dynamics make a huge difference! I really don't think we're slobs, and as PPs said, I'm not keen to spend half my life cleaning!

#19 harryhoo

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:40 PM

My house is usually untidy - as in books all over the bench, toys on the floor, clean clothes to be put away, and my handbag wherever I happened to dump it - but I think it is generally clean. Kitchen is fully cleaned every night (benches, floors, no food or dirty plates left out), vacuum  2-3 times a week, mop once a fortnight, clean bathrooms when I think they need it. I'm certainly not strict about cleaning or have set days to clean, but have been cleaner since i've been a SAHM (fortunately baby has great naps in the morning and arvo). Would definitely choose to play with him over cleaning though!!

If we're having people over I do a very big clean and tidy. I would love it to look a like a show home, but we don't have the furniture or money to acheive that kind of styling!! I think most of our friends are similar to us.

#20 lynneyours

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:42 PM

Daily jobs here are:
* taking the rubbish out
* load of washing.

Not quite daily:
* vacuuming
* bringing clothes in already folded
* recycling out
* dishes

Weekly-ish:
* beds stripped and remade
* bathroom/loo cleaned - more often if needed

Monthly-ish:
* clothes put away
* toy room tidied and culled
* art supplies tidied and culled

Never:
* dusting - kids job with babywipes
* ironing
* windows

I *try* to keep the kitchen under control and the kitchen/lounge vacuumed, toys in toyroom, crap in tidy piles.  Definitely NOT a showhome here, last time I tried, DD2 coloured in the carpet with a permanent black marker she'd found.

Clean to me is when all surfaces are organised, wiped down, stuff away, bathroom cleaned, dishes done, clothes away.  My house hardly ever achieves this state.  Tidy is kitchen bench clean, kitchen table clean, vacuumed, stuff out of main living space.

#21 naturalgoodness

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:43 PM

I have a cleaner come once a fortnight and do everything - including dusting the bookcases, shelves etc. Outside of that I tidy as we go, and sweep the floors of crumbs etc. I make the beds and have the kitchen cleaned up every day. I don't clean bathrooms or mop floors and people often comment that my house is very clean and tidy!

#22 Feral_Pooks

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:54 PM

Wait... People clean windows?

#23 Lim Lam

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:09 PM

QUOTE (Leeloomina @ 18/01/2013, 08:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, let's just say that since having my two 4 kids, my idea of "clean" nowadays would give my former self a rude shock.

We have hard flooring throughout the house.Vacuum once a week. Mop when the underside of my foot turns up grey which is around every 2 months (no shoes allowed in the house). Kitchen is always spotless and the rest of the house is untidy and a little dusty but clean-ish most of the time  ph34r.gif
But judging from PP's replies we are quite slack

Me exactly...

#24 Sal78

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:44 PM

if u don't mop then I guess you wear shoes in the house?

see we don't allow shoes in the house. we have house slippers for tile areas and we have new slippers to give to guests...a bit like the japanese. we go barefeet on carpet though. our floors have to be pretty much clean enough to walk on barefoot al the time. I sweep almost daily and mop once a week.

My house is pretty much always neat and tidy. kids pack up straight after they finish playing with toys, there's a place for everything. might be a few dishes in the sink but I have an empty bench top policy.

i work long hours, have 3 kids and dh works too, we can't let things get out of hand because it creates more work for us later. the other night i did a cull of my wardrobe till 5am and had to be at work 8am for 9.5hrs. I find regularly de-cluttering helps a lot.

kids make their own bed so their beds never look perfectly made up but i'd rather praise them and encourage their efforts.

i visited a friend recently and thought her house was really clean, they don't wear shoes in the house...i was a bit shocked to find when i put my shoes on that I had loads of dog hair on my feet. That's kind of disgusting. Maybe coz I have no pets but even if I had pets at home, I would offer slippers to my guest. Though my floors are clean enough for us to walk on, I still have spare slippers for guests. It's just like those hotel type slippers.

#25 TeaTimeTreat

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:55 PM

I think there is a sliding scale

1 - Showhome
2 - MIL is coming round
3 - My SIL whose house is always tidier than mine
4 - Most of EB
5 - Normal people
6 - Me most of the time
7 - Oh dear we all have Gastro
8 - Shared student housing
9 - Feral
10 - Call DOCS ASAP

I aim for around a five or six.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• ebk-canonD30-thumb

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.