Do you know your child's blood group?

• Please log in to reply
114 replies to this topic

#1 Heffalump

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:48 PM

A little while ago it occurred to me that I didn't know DD's blood group.  She's never had a blood test that I know of, the info isn't in her Blue Book, and neither her GP or paediatrician have it in their records!

A futile attempt to get her blood tested resulted in the nurse calling the doctor and telling him that she wasn't being cooperative (she hates needles with a passion).

So, should I be worried?

What if she has an accident that requires a blood transfusion - I know that she can be given O- if absolutely necessary, and the nurse did tell me that they have ways of testing for blood group 'in seconds' nowadays, but...

So, do you know your children's blood groups?

#2 imamumto3

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:50 PM

no idea.  dd2 has had many blood tests, next time I'm at the gp I'm going to ask, is it something they generally test for or does it have to be requested?

#3 mummy.to.one

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:50 PM

DS has his blood group on the paperwork that the hospital put into his blue book.

They tested it when he was a day old I think. Do you have any papers in your blue book which aren't original blue book pages, may be written on these?

I think in most cases, its one parents blood type. Someone can correct me, I've always wondered if that was right?

#4 LookMumNoHands

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:51 PM

I have no idea! I only found mine out the other week  blush.gif

#5 KatakaGeoGirl

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:52 PM

I have no idea, and I couldn't name mine or my hubby's either ;-P

#6 meljbau

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:53 PM

I know 2 of my 3 children's groups. One son is B neg. I found out when he developed problems because of ABO incompatibility after birth. My younger son was also tested because of jaundice and he is O neg. My daughter had no issues as a newborn and I don't know her blood group but suspect she is O like me as there were no incompatibility issues.

#7 Tarantara

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:53 PM

Yes - they tested his blood group on his arrival. His is O+, mine is O-, therefore I got to have yet another anti D needle wink.gif

#8 elizabethany

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:54 PM

When someone is in an accident, they will check the blood group on the spot.  It can be requested on any blood test, but is not tested as a matter of course, as you only need to find out once in your lifetime.

I know DS's because he had blood tested when he was a couple of hours old, and they added it o, as they knew no one would know.  I didn't find out mine until I was 18 and became a blood donor (neither did DH), despite having blood tests done in the past.

#9 Therese

I know both our girls. Our oldest had hers tested when she was three days old as she had bad jaundice. Our youngest has had heaps of medical issues so we know hers.

Both their dad and I have 0+ blood groups and so do the girls.

#10 whatnamenow

yes i do in age order...

O-, O+, A-, A-....

Although number 3 is pretty easy to remember because stoopid ex wanted to save on the DNA test by proving she couldnt possibly be his because of the blood group.  I had to break the news to him that she was A- just like her mummy....

#11 adnama

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:55 PM

I asked the hospital after DD was born and she is O neg like me so i didn't need another anti d shot.
I forgot to ask after I had DS so i'm guessing O neg as i didn't get a second shot

#12 ScarfaceClaw

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:56 PM

In the event of needing a blood transfusion it would be matched, so you knowing her blood type wouldn't speed anything up.
If it was an emergency, she would be given O neg, the universal donor.

I only know DS's coz he had some testing done for other reasons.

#13 Wineandchocolate

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:56 PM

Kids don't necessarily have one of their parents' blood type.  For example, I am AB-, my DH is O-, DD1 is A- and DD2 is B-.  The only certainty is that our kids were always going to be 'negatives'.

I got our girls' blood types by ringing the hospital at which they were born.  It was on their records from when they did the newborn test.

#14 Peppery

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:57 PM

I have absolutely no idea and I don't know mine is either
DD had a heal prick done when she was a few days old, I thought this was to test blood type. I was in a sleep deprived state so I think that was what the nurse was doing.

#15 *ShirleyTemple*

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:58 PM

As I am A- both my babies were tested as newborns to see if I needed an anti D needle. Both of them are negative (A-and B-) so I didn't.

#16 mum850

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:58 PM

no I don't know any of their blood groups.
As PPs have said, in an emergency they do a crossmatch. Even if you said "my child is A+" they would not pay any attention, and still do a cross match. So , don't worry!

#17 domestically~challenged

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:59 PM

Yeah they (twins) were tested at birth for the anti d shot.

Fraternal twins and both B+ like their Dad (I'm O-).

#18 Loz07

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:03 PM

QUOTE (mummy.to.one @ 18/01/2013, 08:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
DS has his blood group on the paperwork that the hospital put into his blue book.

They tested it when he was a day old I think. Do you have any papers in your blue book which aren't original blue book pages, may be written on these?

I think in most cases, its one parents blood type. Someone can correct me, I've always wondered if that was right?

They tested DD too but that's because I'm a negative blood group and needed anti-d. Don't know if it is tested if mum is a positive blood group.
Your child's blood group is a combination of both parents. I'm a neg, DH is b pos, and DD is a pos. But she could have ended up a neg, b neg or pos, ab neg or pos, or maybe even o... Confusing coz DH and I are exact opposites :-)

You may be able to get her tested with a finger pin prick? Otherwise it could probably wait till she's older, unless there's an emergency and they'll test then.

#19 IsolaBella

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:05 PM

I do but that is because I am RH- and they ave to test bubs blood to see if I needed Anti D shots. I requested their actual blood group information though.

Mine are

O+
O-
O+

I am B- and DH O+

Eta I found out my blood group at 16 when I first donated blood. Even with a blood donor card the hospital always RE tests my blood before giving any blood product.

Edited by lsolaBella, 18 January 2013 - 08:07 PM.

#20 ~chiquita~

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:05 PM

No, I don't.

I asked numerous times when DS was born and they said don't bother with the test these days.  shrug.gif

#21 Ingrid the Swan

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:08 PM

No idea - we asked and was told it wasn't tested unless necessary.

We know DP's blood type, and the donor's is the same as mine, and both are positive - so certain that DD will share a blood type with one or the other of us.

#22 LynnyP

I do.  If you don't, it is no big deal.  Hospitals usually like to check for themselves before giving blood products!

#23 ~faerydust~

Both girls are O-. I'm B- so they were tested to see if I needed the anti d shot.

#24 mummy.to.one

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:09 PM

That clears that up for me then thanks pp's. This may ruin DH's theory that a child has the same blood group as one parent, he now believes he is the same as DS, because we know I am different lol.

#25 MrsLexiK

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:14 PM

My parents knew ours but they have blood and mum was neg and dad positive. I am A (after mum) and + after dad. My sister is B after dad and - after mum. So a mixture, we have given blood since we have been able to, I know DH's it A neg so for my piece of mind I would like to know so they know about the positive issues if a girl. (But my grandma was not treated for it after the birth of my dad and went on to have major problems)

On the back of my blood bank group it states and always has "in the need to have blood transfusion you will be double checked" or something along those lines - so no big deal if you don't know it because they will check anyway.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• ek-smiggle-driver-thumb

Smiggle is painting the town red!

We have 3 Red Smiggle prize packs to give away! Enter by posting a photo of something red to your Instagram.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.