Mensa US online test

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 IsolaBella

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:03 AM

Just wondering if anyone has done the US Mensa online test. Saw that it was free for Jan (if you have US address wink.gif ) so as DH and I are always posturing over who is the smartest, we got two test keys and each did the test.

So the result..... We both got the same score with the Mensa site suggesting we do formal paid test to get real membership. So DH and I (not believing we got the same scores) think the test is rigged and that everyone gets result to get more testing $$ from people.

Anyone else done the test?

#2 BadCat

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:11 AM

It doesn't seem to want to give me a test key.  sad.gif

#3 LiveLife

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:44 AM

I know of three different results--> two in the same category, 1 in what I assume would be the top category.

#4 IsolaBella

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:47 AM

BadCat did you use US address?

Live life....hmm that may indicate DH and I did test the same.

#5 BadCat

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:48 AM

It only asked for a postal code so I threw in a random LA zip code.   Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place.  Or maybe they're on to me and that helicopter and sirens I can hear right now are the feds coming after me.  unsure.gif

Edited by BadCat, 19 January 2013 - 10:49 AM.

#6 baddmammajamma

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:58 AM

From time to time, Mensa will do various promotions to attract new members (like target youth memberships).

Like all Mensa branches, they will only take people whose IQs or standardized test results are in the top 2% but with a population as large as the U.S., that is millions of people!

On a related side note, my brother & I both had our IQs tested as children as part of the G&T program at our school. Growing up, my mom never discussed the actual scores with us, but my brother & I used to speculate over who was "smarter." (Stupid, I realize, but we seemed to argue over everything). Finally, now in my 40s, and in casual conversation about my own two kids, my mom let it slip that my IQ is higher than my brother's IQ. By how much, I do not know...I do not care. But ha, Jim! I TOLD YOU SO! tongue.gif

#7 blackbird

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:14 AM

do you have a link? I cant find anything about a free test in the us

do you mean the mensa work out?

#8 IsolaBella

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:17 AM

Got link via this article

http://gizmodo.com/5976541/take-mensas-fre...-youre-a-genius

BMJ yeah, mum didn't get me tested after getting brother tested so I don't know how we do, but IQ has always been something DH and I claimed the higher ground on. Funnily enough my brothers wife's IQ is nearly the same as my brothers (yes early dating tips... Compare IQ LOL). Yeah for you on your mums slip. I get that.

#9 Lyra

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:18 AM

QUOTE (baddmammajamma @ 19/01/2013, 11:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Finally, now in my 40s, and in casual conversation about my own two kids, my mom let it slip that my IQ is higher than my brother's IQ. By how much, I do not know...I do not care. But ha, Jim! I TOLD YOU SO! tongue.gif

Clearly, great maturity does not come with great wisdom

wink.gif

#10 IsolaBella

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:19 AM

As I said just a bit of fun to try and settle age old argument as to intellectual superiority in the relationship.

#11 Feral Nicety

Posted 19 January 2013 - 02:11 PM

I once got 90 on an online IQtest.

evillaugh.gif

#12 blackbird

Posted 19 January 2013 - 02:14 PM

original.gif

Edited by blackbird, 19 January 2013 - 02:15 PM.

#13 d├ęsir d'amour

Posted 19 January 2013 - 02:20 PM

Mensa test won't load for me, but I'm happy with my pretty consistent scoring of 135 on the regular online IQ tests.  Given that a lot of the problems are spatial-math related and I SUCK at those.

#14 CallMeFeral

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:30 PM

It said it was sending me a key and then didn't... is that part of the test?
If so I've failed...  Tounge1.gif

#15 IsolaBella

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:21 AM

Worked for me Friday. I think they may have become wise to the extra traffic generated bt article and now are stopping. We will see. I have also requested another test key.

#16 caitiri

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:50 AM

I got a key today after requesting it the day you started the thread OP.  Fun test,  I got told I may qualify as well

#17 CallMeFeral

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:10 AM

Got mine today too - will have a go when the kids are down!

#18 CountryFeral

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:21 AM

An ex husband of a friend of mine was obsessed with IQ tests... he was constantly doing them and demonstrating the results to her as a sign of his 'superiority' to not just her but humanity in general.....

He was and is a total nutbar.

IQ test scores have no bearing on, life choices, social intelligence, work ethic, formal schooling success or sanity....

I can direct you to 6'7" of living breathing proof...

#19 BadCat

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:53 AM

Finally got a test key.

I threw in a random address in Brooklyn without a house number and used a fake name so the worst they will do is harrass me via and email address I don't use anymore.  laughing2.gif

Tested 98th percentile and they invited me to sit the proper test.

I hate the questions where you have to pick the picture that doesn't fit with the others.  Depends what criteria you use to link the pics.  There were several questions that had more than one valid answer as far as I'm concerned.  Like the one with a picture of a car, motorbike, train and boat (or similar).  Is the boat the odd one out because it's not a land vehicle?  Is the motorbike the odd one out because it's a single person vehicle?  Or even the train because it must run on a designated path while the other vehicles are free to roam?  Ambiguous questions do my head in.

#20 CallMeFeral

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:38 PM

OP did it give you 73?

#21 IsolaBella

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:50 PM

I restested without kids around and got a higher score. So first time around DH and I did score the same.

#22 CallMeFeral

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:44 PM

Ah ok - I was starting to wonder if it just gave everyone 98th percentile as you said, to make some revenue!

I'll have to get DH to take it and see if I've got anything to gloat about...

Must say many of the image questions were pretty random and open to interpretation, as badcat said. Some of them I couldn't even figure out what the images were of. Apparently being smart doesn't equal being able to draw!

#23 CCLady

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:22 PM

They didnt send me a key yet. I used the zipcode 90210 - maybe that's why  laughing2.gif

#24 kay11

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:32 PM

QUOTE (countrymel @ 21/01/2013, 10:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
An ex husband of a friend of mine was obsessed with IQ tests... he was constantly doing them and demonstrating the results to her as a sign of his 'superiority' to not just her but humanity in general.....

He was and is a total nutbar.

IQ test scores have no bearing on, life choices, social intelligence, work ethic, formal schooling success or sanity....

I can direct you to 6'7" of living breathing proof...

I've been reading a lot of the gifted and talented information online and my favourite quote thus far is:

A high IQ and 50c will still only get you a 50c cup of coffee.

That said, I think it is somewhat correlated to formal schooling success from what I can gather, but not sure about the rest.

(obviously said a few years ago in the US - he was a psychologist who researched and advocated for radical acceleration talking about his movement away from being a big fan of IQ tests to a more moderate view )

#25 Feralishous

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:50 AM

dp

Edited by trishalishous, 22 January 2013 - 01:54 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• ek-toysales-thumb

Best buys of the 2014 toy sales

We have rounded up some of the best from this year's half yearly toy sales from the big stores around Australia.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.