Not another laundry question!
How do you get that lovely smell in your clothes?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 KBM

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:18 AM

SIL just handed down a sheet set which has probably sat in her linen press for several years.  I popped it on DSs bed this morning and it smells lovely!

I have noticed when helping my mum and MIL with washing that theirs smell lovely too.

Mine dont have a noticable smell to them but dont smell stinky like they did before washing.

Now I know none of them use fabric softener, so its just the laundry power or liquid that they use.

But Im thinking, if it still smells, does that mean that a residue of the liquid/power is still in the clothes?  Two of my children get excema so Im a bit reluctant to be using a liquid/powder that does leave a residue so that its not an irritant to their skin.

What do you do?

#2 Mmmcheese

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:23 AM

I keep a bar of nice smelling soap in with my sheets, one of those expensive ones. Seems to keep them smelling nice.

#3 TopsyTurvy

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:26 AM

There could be many things.

Could be soap as the PP said.

Could be scented sachets or drawer/shelf liners.

I also squirrel empty perfume bottles in my drawers as well original.gif

#4 JustBeige

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:27 AM

I find different brands have different smells.

I use BioZet and to me it doesnt have a strong smell, yet OMO does.

My bestie uses OMO and to her she cant smell it but can smell the BioZet.

So it could be that.  If you are worried, you should just rewash in your own detergent that you know doesnt make the kids breakout.

Also, they may have cupboard potpourri things or liners that can make them smell nice too.   I use lavender a lot instead of camphor balls, so my things smell strongly of lavender

#5 KBM

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:49 AM

I use lavender a lot
Do you use oil or lavendar leaves/flowers?  How?

Just in the linen press or in clothes drawers as well?

I also squirrel empty perfume bottles in my drawers as well
What a good idea!

Great ideas, keep 'em coming!

#6 Just Another Cat

Posted 19 January 2013 - 02:49 PM

QUOTE (Mmmcheese @ 19/01/2013, 12:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I keep a bar of nice smelling soap in with my sheets, one of those expensive ones. Seems to keep them smelling nice.

Oh, I like this idea. Might give it a try.

I hate how sheets smell stale after a while. I've actually considered leaving the sheets dirty in the laundry. Then just washing them as needed, so they would always have that freshly washed smell.

#7 queeney

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:24 PM

Omo always leaves my washing smelling lovely. Used to use it all the time until one of my twins suffers bad eczema and it irritates it. Now I use liquid purity sensitive which leaves no smell, I did get some purity sensitive fabric softener for when I do linen, but it still doesn't seem to smell as nice.

Btw, the omo sensitive doesn't leave the smell either.

#8 1975ladybug

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:34 PM

It might be the washing machine, my mum had a front loader and I hated washing stuff in as it always come out smelling stale and musty, my fount loader which I rinse regularly with vinegar and bi carb doesn't.

Also storage, I have some of those moisture soakers in my linen cupboard together with my favourite soap keeps them fresh smelling.

#9 JustBeige

Posted 19 January 2013 - 05:50 PM

QUOTE (KarenBubMachine @ 19/01/2013, 12:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Do you use oil or lavendar leaves/flowers?  How?

Just in the linen press or in clothes drawers as well?

What a good idea!

Great ideas, keep 'em coming!

I used the packets of dried stuff you get at the markets.  I think you can get them from $2 shops also.  I store it all in an air tight jar once I have opened the packet and then put teaspoons into little scraps of material and tie them off.

In a pinch I will use a tissue and twist - but that can come unravelled.

I use this in the linen press and in clothes drawers.

I also do the special smelling soap trick into drawers and recently my soy melts went into a drawer.

my mum had a front loader and I hated washing stuff in as it always come out smelling stale and musty, my fount loader which I rinse regularly with vinegar and bi carb doesn't.
thats why.  You give yours a clean.  Front loaders do need to be cleaned more than top loaders and they really need the door left open.   Your mum probably doesnt know she needs to do it.

#10 *Lib*

Posted 19 January 2013 - 05:56 PM

We use radiant liquid and it smells nice! Especially dried in the sun!!

#11 Mazzle_Dazzle

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:23 AM

Yeah, mine dont smell of anything.. but when i get hand-me-down baby clothes from my friend .. they all smell lovely...

could it be that mine does, but you get used to your own smells,...
like perfume, you dont really notice it on yourself, but you always notice perfume on others..???

good reminder tho to do an empty load with bicarb & vin this week...

#12 BronR

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:19 PM

I think it's probably more of a case that you are used to the smell of your laundry and they use a different brand so you notice the smell.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.