Stuff you're meant to find cute.. but don't
Fluffy

• Please log in to reply
248 replies to this topic

#1 mpoppins92

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:55 PM

So the other day the two kids I was looking after were singing a rendition of rudolph the red nosed reindeer and another woman looked adoringly at them and said 'Oh children singing it's just too cute, I could listen to them all day".. I smiled and nodded but...

I hate the sound of kids singing.  ph34r.gif

The off key, out of tune, wrong words thing it just totally grates on my ears. I love children and I'd never stop children from singing but seriously when they go into "Australians in Antartica are young and free" (don't even ask where those lyrics came from, their parents and I have long given up) I try desperately to get their attention with discussion.

I know there are children who have a natural talent for singing but that's not what I'm talking about.

So I thought I am not surely the only person who thinks all things kids do that are meant to be cute actually aren't, so share yours to make me feel better! What do you just not find cute, that other people gush over?

EFS

Edited by mpoppins92, 20 January 2013 - 11:19 AM.

#2 Guest_AllegraM_*

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:56 PM

Newborns- wrinkly freaky aliens. Ths included mine.

#3 cinnabubble

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:57 PM

Anne Geddes. Actually, most newborn trick photography.

#4 tick

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:59 PM

Definitely agree with newborns.  In fact all babies are pretty weird looking until they get closer to one IMO.  That definitely includes my own babies.

#5 Froyo

Posted 19 January 2013 - 05:00 PM

QUOTE (cinnabubble @ 19/01/2013, 05:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yep, this. Why don't people take pics of babies without 10000 dodgy effects or covering them in a bunch of crap and using cheesy props- or even all of the above unsure.gif

#6 *Lib*

QUOTE (cinnabubble @ 19/01/2013, 04:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree, nothing natural about it.

#7 TheWanderer

Kids playing the recorder.

#8 Peppery

Posted 19 January 2013 - 05:01 PM

Nephew throwing his lunch at me and my SIL thinking it was cute (nephew 10 month old)

#9 Herewecome...

Posted 19 January 2013 - 05:04 PM

Other peoples kids  ph34r.gif

#10 Silver Girl

Posted 19 January 2013 - 05:04 PM

Talking to other people's children on the phone, especially when they chat on and on and I barely understand what they're saying.

I'm a hypocrite though - DS always asks to speak to people I'm on the phone too, and I let him if it's a friend or family member.

#11 Floki

Posted 19 January 2013 - 05:05 PM

I don't like attention seeking kids. You know - the ones that have to sing the loudest at the school concert, have to sit right out in front at the ballet concerts etc.

And I have seen some kids that are pretty damn ugly posed in photos that do nothing for them other than to highlight that fact.

#12 Silver Girl

Posted 19 January 2013 - 05:05 PM

QUOTE (TheWanderer @ 19/01/2013, 06:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Kids playing the recorder.

May I add kids playing the violin?

#13 YellowKittyGlenn

Posted 19 January 2013 - 05:07 PM

QUOTE (AllegraM @ 19/01/2013, 05:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Newborns- wrinkly freaky aliens. Ths included mine.

Gotta agree i have never seen a cute newborn, regardless of gender they all look like miniture 90 year old men. I have never seen an attractive baby under 3 months old.

I do hold my tounge and do the obligatory "aww so cute" when all im thinking is "omg you have given birth to a miniture 90:year old man".

#14 kiam

Posted 19 January 2013 - 05:11 PM

QUOTE (Silver Girl @ 19/01/2013, 06:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
May I add kids playing the violin?

Lets just leave it at kids playing any musical instrument that they just aren't good at or are too small to hold correctly.

#15 Magnus

Posted 19 January 2013 - 05:12 PM

What I don't find cute is when toddlers or young children do something like hold hands or kiss on the cheek and their parents make jokes that they'll be getting engaged in the future, etc. or that the other kid is their little girlfriend/boyfriend.

I don't know why I find it irritating. If the kid actually came up and said 'I think I want to marry Lily when I grow up' that would probably be cute, but when adults post photos on facebook and start speculating about their toddlers "romances" I find it really nauseating.

ETA: I also don't like photos of most baby animals.

And I mostly don't find girls dressing up as frilly as possible and then demanding attention for it that cute.

Edited by Magnus, 19 January 2013 - 05:14 PM.

#16 Alpha_Chook

Posted 19 January 2013 - 05:15 PM

Newborn babies....yup, like wrinkly little aliens (clearly I had too many drugs in my system when Eamon was born, I thought he was the cutest baby ever born and was waiting for newspaper people to come and take his picture laughing2.gif). Looking at the photos now I think Eamon got cute from about 3-4 months

#17 LynnyP

Posted 19 January 2013 - 05:16 PM

My children are always and endlessly cute.  Other people's children can be cute.  I generally find children learning things or expressing themselves endearing.  I find the Anne Geddes stuff and children in crocheted hats and headbands nauseating, as do most right thinking people.

#18 TheWanderer

Posted 19 January 2013 - 05:18 PM

Any cake smash photos

#19 snuffles

Posted 19 January 2013 - 05:20 PM

The checkout chick thought it was cute yesterday when my three (who are school aged) decided to play a game right in the middle of the shopping centre which involved trying to tread on each other's toes, giggling and running around and getting in the way of people trying to walk through.  blink.gif

I was very very unimpressed and got my cranky pants on, told them to sit down on the seat and NOT TO MOVE.  Cue checkout chick saying something like, "Just enjoy them" - so not the moment for enjoyment or cuteness.

#20 SlightlyLeftFeral

Posted 19 January 2013 - 05:25 PM

Bald babies with headbands or clips.

#21 Silver Girl

Posted 19 January 2013 - 05:26 PM

QUOTE (kiam @ 19/01/2013, 06:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Lets just leave it at kids playing any musical instrument that they just aren't good at or are too small to hold correctly.

Good idea, covers all non-cute bases.

I don't usually find children being used in ads cute, especially for a grownup audience. Eg "My Mum says ABC cheese is full of calcium to make my bones strong"; "My Dad says XYZ hardware store has the best range".

#22 (feral)epg

Posted 19 January 2013 - 05:26 PM

Puppy breath.  Don't like it.

(but anything that kittens do is adorable)

#23 mused

Posted 19 January 2013 - 05:29 PM

Little girls/baby girls in those little from-frou tutus.

#24 SophieBear

Posted 19 January 2013 - 05:30 PM

Babies bums. People always say how cute they are. They're bums!

I agree with PP about attention seeking kids.

Kittens. I freaking love cats though!

QUOTE (mpoppins92 @ 19/01/2013, 05:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
"Australians in Antartica are young and free" (don't even ask where those lyrics came from, their parents and I have long given up) I try desperately to get their attention with discussion.

laughing2.gif my youngest brother when he was a child used to sing "Australians are Africans.."

#25 wallofdodo

Posted 19 January 2013 - 05:35 PM

QUOTE (YellowKittyGlenn @ 19/01/2013, 06:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Gotta agree i have never seen a cute newborn, regardless of gender they all look like miniture 90 year old men. I have never seen an attractive baby under 3 months old.

I do hold my tounge and do the obligatory "aww so cute" when all im thinking is "omg you have given birth to a miniture 90:year old man".

Oh yeah,my latest has a touch of the old man about him.

For me it is anything to do with teddy bears, mum is really into them.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.