Suggest a crime fiction author for me!

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#1 PatG

Posted 19 January 2013 - 08:35 PM

Ok, so I need something new to read and thought the EB readers collective might be able to throw some suggestions my way.  I read a lot of different things but am currently thinking I'd like some more crime fiction.

Authors I've already read (I'm sure this is not an exhaustive list!):  

Marin Slaughter
Patricia Cornwell
James Patteroson
Iris Johansen
Tess Gerritsen
Tami Hoag
Allison Brennan
Lisa Gardner
Faye Kellerman
Kathy reichs
Jeffrey Deaver
Meg Gardiner
Jonathan Kellerman
Sara Paretsky
Beverly Connor
Val McDermid

Does anyone have some new ones for me to try?

Edited by PatG, 19 January 2013 - 08:36 PM.

#2 FeralAndIKnowIt

Posted 19 January 2013 - 08:37 PM

I'm a big Kathy Reichs/ Patricia Cornwell (though I think Kathy is better) fan. My favourite crime fiction author is probably Michael Connelly.

#3 PoshMosh

Posted 19 January 2013 - 08:39 PM

David Baldacci

#4 JuliaGulia

Posted 19 January 2013 - 08:41 PM

Michael Connelly, Harlan Coben

#5 cardamom

Posted 19 January 2013 - 08:42 PM

I think the quality of her books has declined recently, but one you might like is Kathryn Fox.

Australian forensic crime. Like Tess Gerritsen the author is also a physician, so they've got quite a bit of medical detail.

#6 Peppery

Posted 19 January 2013 - 08:43 PM

Lee Child

#7 2bundles

Posted 19 January 2013 - 08:43 PM

Tara Moss.

#8 tomson

Posted 19 January 2013 - 08:44 PM

Ian Rankin

Harlen Cobin

Martin Cruz Smith ( Gorky Park series)

Daniel Silva

Derek Hansen (Lunch with the Generals)

Gabrielle Lord

#9 TinMan

Posted 19 January 2013 - 08:46 PM

Maybe try Graham Hurley- UK writer- start at the start, though you don't have to of course.

Good guys don't always win, and his attention to the details is like he's peering through the window of the police station watching unfold.

I find his novels realistic and enjoyable for that reason.

#10 laura7

Posted 19 January 2013 - 08:48 PM

Hi OP

Just read  Karen Rose "Count to Ten", an American author very enjoyable.  I only ever read crime fiction or true crime and have read most of those authors you have listed.  I think I have read some others by her too which were equally good.  Have you tried Lee Child, Jilliane Hoffman , or Michael Connolly or Australian authors Peter Temple, Leah Giarratano,  Kathryn Fox or Gabriel Lord.  If you PM I can discuss sending some to you if you like I have a huge library which I am considering downsizing due to lack of space! rolleyes.gif

#11 Lucrezia Borgia

Posted 19 January 2013 - 08:48 PM

Peter Temple is good....

#12 laura7

Posted 19 January 2013 - 08:50 PM

QUOTE (Lucretia Borgia @ 19/01/2013, 09:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Peter Temple is good....

Going to start Bad Debts tonight ......

#13 purplekitty

Posted 19 January 2013 - 08:51 PM

Stuart MacBride
Denis Lehane
P.J.Tracy

#14 Funky Cold Ribena

Posted 19 January 2013 - 08:51 PM

Mo Hayder and Stuart McBride.

#15 PatG

Posted 19 January 2013 - 08:52 PM

Thanks everyone, I've got some starting points... You've come up with a few authors I've already read all/most of that missed my list, so def in the right ball park.

I used to really like the Patricia Cornwell books but they started getting a bit odd, I agree that Kathy Reichs' are better.

I might look at finding some Kathryn Fox to start with

#16 laura7

Posted 19 January 2013 - 08:53 PM

Or if you like a bit of humour Janet Evanovich....nothing like hearing yourself laugh out loud.  That is one funny lady!

#17 FluffyOscar

Posted 19 January 2013 - 08:54 PM

James Elroy

#18 laura7

Posted 19 January 2013 - 08:56 PM

QUOTE (PatG @ 19/01/2013, 09:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks everyone, I've got some starting points... You've come up with a few authors I've already read all/most of that missed my list, so def in the right ball park.

I used to really like the Patricia Cornwell books but they started getting a bit odd, I agree that Kathy Reichs' are better.

I might look at finding some Kathryn Fox to start with

Kathryn Fox is great.  Not as far fetched as Patricia Cornwall.  You're right her last few are bit out there!!!!

#19 indigogirl

Posted 19 January 2013 - 08:56 PM

I really love murder mysteries/crime books. The ones Ive read most recently include (off the top of my head! I actually read so many I cant even remember half!!!!)

Jesse Kellerman (son of Faye and Jonathan but a better writer I reckon!)

Sue Grafton (A for..., B for.. ,C for... etc)

Janet Evanovich for a comedic crime style

Minette Walters

I found some Charlaine Harris murder mystery books before she got famous for True Blood and enjoyed them

Blackwater by Kirsten Ekman and Miss Smillas feeling for Snow by Peter Hoeg  

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series

Wallander series

ummm I can keep thinking about it but you'll probably have enough to go on now!

#20 Velocinag

Posted 19 January 2013 - 08:58 PM

Sue Grafton has an alphabet series. Starts with A is for Alibi. The next one due out is the 'W' book. Great series and easy to read.

#21 Skittles79

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:04 PM

Bit of an oldie now but Richard North Patterson. Loved reading his & Patricia Cornwell books

#22 kpingitquiet

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:12 PM

Dexter books, perhaps? I just read Darkly Dreaming Dexter and it was good, just not my style.

#23 SusieGreen

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:18 PM

Jo Nesbo
Dennis Lehane
John Sandford
David Baldacci
Michael Connelly
Camilla Lackberg
CJ Lyons
Linda Castillo
PJ Tracy
Ian Rankin (currently 1/2 through the Rebus series)

#24 CupcakeMumma

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:21 PM

Sue grafton
d*ck Francis crime/horses
James Patterson
Katy reichs
Patricia Cornwall
Tara moss
Tony park - set in Africa

#25 JRA

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:22 PM

thanks for asking OP. I am going to bookmark this list for me

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.