cooking from scratch
spin off

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 imamumto3

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:46 AM

In the other thread about using sachets while cooking food for a 12mo, a lot of people said they wouldn't touch them.

I'm interested now, how many people actually cook from scratch.  I don't mean growing your own veggies or making your own bread, but using store bought flour, eggs, sugar type cooking.

personally, I cook from scratch because The kids are on a fails safe diet so it's easier to make my own, but I enjoy cooking, am a sahm, meaning I can prepare earlier or partly prepare during the day, and I think the end result tastes nicer.

one friend of mine is the same as me, but most of my family and friends use packets or jar sauces for most meals.

I don't want this to be a you're wrong, I'm right type thread, I'm just curious how many do and how many dont and your reasons for your choice

#2 ♥~Bodhichitta~♥

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:49 AM

I cook completely from scratch.  

For a few reasons - firstly I enjoy it  original.gif .  And also DS and I can't tolerate anything out of a packet or jar.  We are very sensitive to additives, flavourings, colourings etc.  

I even roast and grind my own spices for curries etc - but that's again because I love cooking  happy.gif

#3 Cherish

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:51 AM

I dont tend to use jars or packets- but I will use convenience items like tinned tomatoes or passata and even (shock horror!) Keen's curry powder ohmy.gif

#4 Dionysus

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:52 AM

I am a mixture of both.  If I have time, I like doing things from scratch but I am not completely adverse to using a jar or pouch at times.

But, in our house, DH cooks most often.  He doesn't necessarily like it, but it has just become his 'job' over the years.  He wouldn't do it at all if it meant doing everything from scratch, so if he is doing spag bol or curry or something like that, he will use a jar

#5 ~Supernova~

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:53 AM

I cook almost everything from scratch. I enjoy cooking, and have a huge cupboard full of herbs and spices. We still have "easy" meals, when I just couldn't be bothered, but it will be things like steam veges and fish or similar. The rest of my family uses mostly jars and packets, which is what we grew up with.

I USED to cook with a lot of packets, and the difference between DD and DS is already very obvious. DD likes bland salty food, and DS loves herby food, chilies, curries, you name it.

#6 Green Door

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:53 AM

We cook mad make most things from scatch , only because I have the time and I love cooking

#7 CupcakeMumma

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:54 AM

Pretty much from scratch here, other than gravy lol

#8 Feral Borgia

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:55 AM

Yes I cook from scratch.....well, as per your post I don't mill my own flour or make my own cheese, but if I am doing a casserole I chop up fresh onions, garlic, celery, garlic etc.....I make my own chicken and beef stock.....sometimes fish stock but I don't really use it a lot......I prefer home baked cakes, I don't really eat biscuits, and I DO eat store bought chocolate. ALOT... ph34r.gif

I have an 11 month old and I boil up apples and pears to purée, I make all his vegetables up from scratch...my issue with pre made
Baby food...or any pre made food really is the shelf life of the stuff.....I mAke my own stuff and will refrigerate it for up to four days (depending) or freeze it...this stuff sits around on supermarket shelves for months....what do they put in it to enable it to do that? Salt and sugar are the least of our worries here I think....

It all comes down to personal taste....I know I am coming off self righteous.....FTR my family eat sultanas and yoghurt, they eat hot chips when we are out. And I drink like a fish. Alcohol though...not water.....

#9 unicorn

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:55 AM

I've always cooked from scratch, even if I am feeling really lazy I would refer to cook scramble eggs on toast for dinner than use a jar. They taste icky and way too many unnecessary ingredients.
I do however make gluten free cakes out of a packet for DS because the from scratch ones I make look like pancakes and have the consistency of a rock.

#10 marley*and*me

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:57 AM

I cook from scratch in that I don't use commercially prepared sauces, dinners, etc.

But I do use already made pasta, puff pastry, condiments like mayo, and if making caramel I just boil a tin of condensed milk and jelly just use the natural colourings packet. We eat rica crackers, cruskits and wholesale salads. I buy already made stock. I buy bread from the local bakers.

I don't buy woollies cakes, piklets, or premade bakery things.

So not sure where you draw the line, but I think I cook for our family mostly from scratch. And the biggest reason would because premade pasta sauces, packet mixes are so expensive. I could not afford them.

Edited by marley*and*me, 20 January 2013 - 07:58 AM.

#11 ~Supernova~

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:01 AM

I should probably clarify that I do use things like store bought pasta, passata etc. Would LOVE to make my own, but until DS is older and less of a handful, I'm a bit time poor.

#12 CountryFeral

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:02 AM

Heads up Mareek... children don't develop their 'chilli sensor' till they are a bit older.. your little curry fan will possibly turn into a bland salty boy too!

I'm a 'from scratch' cook.  Although curry pastes do live in my fridge as well... they are just too convenient!

We lived quite isolated when I was a child so 'from scratch' was what I was brought up with too.

DP's Mum was a packet Queen, I have had to retrain him - I remember a ding dong argument early in our life together when he was insisting that he needed the packet of 'Taco seasoning' or the Taco's wouldn't taste nice..

I turned the packet over and found every spice listed on there in the cupboard, made it with them - sans 'flavour enhancer, colours, anti caking agent' et al. and he was forced to admit it was "Just as good, ummmm... Ok.... better!" and has been on board ever since.

#13 Green Door

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:04 AM

I bake bread everyday, only because DH got me a really fancy bread maker and I feel bad not using it.

#14 Bluemakede

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:04 AM

I cook mostly from scratch, there are some things I'll use a jar or tin for sometimes, but for the most part from scratch. If I bake it'll be from scratch, I don't see the point in bothering if it's from a box.

I won't cook with packet mixes ever, other half will sometimes buy them and use them, but I find them bland and to tell the truth half the ones you can buy can be cooked easily from scratch and taste a whole lot better.

#15 TheGreenSheep

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:06 AM

QUOTE (marley*and*me @ 20/01/2013, 08:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I cook from scratch in that I don't use commercially prepared sauces, dinners, etc.

But I do use already made pasta, puff pastry, condiments like mayo, and if making caramel I just boil a tin of condensed milk and jelly just use the natural colourings packet. We eat rica crackers, cruskits and wholesale salads. I buy already made stock. I buy bread from the local bakers.

This is me.

We do grow a lot of our own veggies, herbs and have chooks too. When I have a glut of tomatoes I make my own passata sauce and chutney etc. but I also buy passata.

I enjoy cooking, just wish I had more time....

#16 ~Supernova~

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:08 AM

QUOTE (countrymel @ 20/01/2013, 08:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Heads up Mareek... children don't develop their 'chilli sensor' till they are a bit older.. your little curry fan will possibly turn into a bland salty boy too!

Quite possibly! I still feel better knowing he is at least being introduced to a wide variety of flavorful wholesome food  original.gif

#17 Guest_Dinah_Harris_*

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:09 AM

I cook from scratch too, as I don't like additives, preservatives or high fructose corn syrup.  
Plus home made food tastes better.
But I'm really interested to know how to make curry pastes from scratch?  That's pretty much the only thing from a jar I use.   And passata and stock, but when I get my new kitchen, i will have the space and appliances etc to be more organised.

#18 MrsLexiK

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:09 AM

I do buy tinned toms and the like but I also will sometimes do totally from scratch (ie use real toms) we have a few jars of things here mainly for DH because he doesn't get what flavours go nice and well together.

I don't think the packets are that much more easier/quicker either. I can make a few curries all in about the sametime the one in a jar will be ready. I know mine tastes heaps nicer!

#19 B.feral3

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:13 AM

I cook from scratch. Somethings I use from jars though. Having a quick look in my fridge now I have tomato sauce, mayonnaise, BBQ sauce and tomato paste. All of these things I can make from scratch though and often do when tomatoes, plums etc are in season. These are backups because I have run out. If we are having caesar salad for dinner though I will always make my own dressing. Same if I want some ranch. I just don't make mayo to keep in the fridge because we don't eat it that often.

As far as jams, peanut butter, stock, relish's, pastes such as red curry/green curry/tikka etc I make all my own. I have some salted caramel sauce in the fridge I made from scratch with cream and sugar. It will last ages and we have it on icecream and it's good in home made brownies before they go in the oven.

I make my own pasta 80% of the time. I always make my own naan, ciabatta etc if I want that kind of bread as well as making from scratch all pastries and doughs (pizza, short crust etc).

Another thing I don't make my own of actually is yoghurt. I can though. I have an Easiyo as well as a Thermomix I can do it in. I just don't for some reason. I do make my own ricotta and paneer cheese though. Ravioli is time consuming but simple to make. I'd never buy those Latino Pasta things in a million years. The filling in them tastes like crap.  

At Christmas staying with family and even Christmas Day I saw how many packets went into everything, even gravy LOL. It made me realise how much I DON'T cook that way, how rarely we even walk down most of the middle isles in the supermarket, and how awful the food is when you do.  ph34r.gif

#20 nouseforaname

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:15 AM

From scratch here to. It's cheaper, tastier and better for you. We are also failsafers, so we have to original.gif

#21 Feral Borgia

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:19 AM

QUOTE (Dinah_Harris @ 20/01/2013, 09:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But I'm really interested to know how to make curry pastes from scratch?  That's pretty much the only thing from a jar I use.   And passata and stock, but when I get my new kitchen, i will have the space and appliances etc to be more organised.

I am sure some one will come in here to correct me, but the curry pastes which I do often have as their base golden shallots (eschallots?) ...garlic, ginger (or galangal), lemon grass (depending), coriander root, shrimp paste (again, depending on cuisine), spices which I dry roast first then grind...cumin, coriander seed, fenugreek (not in Thai pastes).... Fresh turmeric and sometimes kaffir lime leaves (depending on cuisine again) ...I blend it in a little food processor which I have...add a bit of oil or water to bind it together... The flavour is amazing!

#22 B.feral3

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:23 AM

I'm happy to type out some recipes for red, green and tikka curry pastes (not at the moment though!!) and get back to you. They keep in the fridge for a while so long as you cover them in a film of olive oil. About 2 months they will last. As well as curries you can also brush some of the pastes onto things like kababs before frying or marinade some chicken breast in them first if you want to make burgers.  original.gif

#23 Apageintime

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:24 AM

I buy pasta, bread, jams yoghurt and peanut butter.
I do use frozen veggies too.

But the majority of the rest of my meals get made from scratch, I find it takes about the same amount of time.

#24 gina70

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:33 AM

I do tend to buy sauces and curry pastes in a jar, tinned tomotoes,packet soup, stock powder etc.  I work full-time and run a household by myself, so very time poor.

But I can't stand that fake herb taste, so don't use anything that tastes like that.

I grow my own herbs and we eat a lot of fruit and veg.

#25 Chaos in stereo

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:33 AM

QUOTE (Lucretia Borgia @ 20/01/2013, 08:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes I cook from scratch.....well, as per your post I don't mill my own flour or make my own cheese, but if I am doing a casserole I chop up fresh onions, garlic, celery, garlic etc.....I make my own chicken and beef stock.....sometimes fish stock but I don't really use it a lot......I prefer home baked cakes, I don't really eat biscuits, and I DO eat store bought chocolate. ALOT... ph34r.gif

I have an 11 month old and I boil up apples and pears to purée, I make all his vegetables up from scratch...my issue with pre made
Baby food...or any pre made food really is the shelf life of the stuff.....I mAke my own stuff and will refrigerate it for up to four days (depending) or freeze it...this stuff sits around on supermarket shelves for months....what do they put in it to enable it to do that? Salt and sugar are the least of our worries here I think....

It all comes down to personal taste....I know I am coming off self righteous.....FTR my family eat sultanas and yoghurt, they eat hot chips when we are out. And I drink like a fish. Alcohol though...not water.....

This is pretty much me. All of it, even the chocolate. I HATE that Lindt goes on sale all the time at the supermarket now. Even if I can avoid it, DP buys 2 blocks "..but they were on sale!"...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• ek-toysales-thumb

Best buys of the 2014 toy sales

We have rounded up some of the best from this year's half yearly toy sales from the big stores around Australia.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.