Staples
Family Favourite Basic & Cheap Meals

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 MissingInAction

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:47 AM

What do you consider "staple" family meals?

You know the ones... basic, cheap, easy to put together, always a winner...

Eg:  Spaghetti Bolognaise
Tuna Pasta Bake

#2 beaglebaby

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:54 AM

Wraps, easy pastas, risotto, brown rice with tuna, cous cous salad, meatballs, corned beef.  Pretty much anything I cook as anything fancy or even slightly different receives a very lukewarm reception from the kids.

#3 Genabee

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:54 AM

grilled chicken/pork/fish with some kind of potato dish and salad

chicken/pork/beef/veg stir fry with rice

rice

pasta

chicken casserole with green beans and mashed potato

#4 d├ęsir d'amour

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:56 AM

spag bog, homemade pizza, chicken burgers, sausage + mash

#5 AnotherFeral

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:49 PM

Tuna mornay with rice
Oven baked fish with steamed veggies (I buy the frozen fillets)
Meatballs
Pasta bolognese
Pasta bakes usually go down well.
Pizza
Lentil tacos used to be on the list, but it's been a while since I made them and I'm not sure if the kids will still like them.

#6 elizabethany

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:55 PM

Any meat and 3 veg
Burritos
"mincy pasta thing" a bolognaise with no tomato, using cooked mushrooms to help create a thin sauce
chicken korma and satay (I use a bottle if I'm being slack)
Chicken pasta bake

#7 MissingInAction

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:04 PM

mmm yummy...

#8 Who is me

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:15 PM

Curry (any type) with rice, spaghetti Bol, sausages with baked vegetables, meatballs with polenta, pumpkin and eggplant lasagne, chicken stir fry with rice. These are the things ds will also eat without complaint.

#9 ubermum

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:39 PM

Bit's and pieces- It's when I gather up leftovers or anything needing to be used in the fridge, cold meat, pickles, dip, crackers, vegies for dipping, olives and set it all up nicely on a platter in the middle of the table. We had that for dinner tonight.

Special Chicken- 1/2 cup whole egg mayo, 1/4 cup grated parmesan. Mix together and spread on chicken breast halves (2 breasts, butterfly in half) top with breadcrumbs and bake in a 220deg oven on baking paper for 20 minutes.

Beef and tomato casserole with mash.

Red lentil and tomato dahl with home made naan bread and yogurt

Baked Meditteranean fish- Prick and microwave like jacket potatoes enough spuds for your family. When done slice 1cm thick slices. Line baking dish with baking paper. Put potatoes in bottom. Top with very thinly onion, thick sliced tomato, some crushed garlic, some baby spinach, and a handful or two of kalamata olives. On top, place enough white fish fillets for your family, drizzle with nice olive oil, cover with foil and bake in a hot oven for 20 minutes until fish flakes when you check it.

Roast with roasted veg- any type.
Spag bol.
Tuna Spag bol
Curry and rice.
Stir fry and rice.
Bangers and mash
Grilled fish, mash and veg. (our most expensive dinner is when we have nice salmon, ocean trout or barramundi but we all love it)
Wraps- usually beef koftas served with wraps, diced tomato, lettuce and tzatziki.
Home made pizza.
Breakfast for dinner- Bacon, eggs, tomato, mushrooms and toast.
Mussels in tomato sauce, with home made rolls to soak up the juice.
BBQ steak, salad and home made wedges. (Not so cheap, but we buy our steak in a bulk piece about 5kg at a time).

My kids are great eaters and will eat most things.

#10 ~Peaches~

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:41 PM

Staples in our house:

Burritos/fajitas
Pasta dishes/Spaghetti bolognaise
Chicken and salad wraps with different sauces/dressings
Chicken burgers with guacamole/Homemade hamburgers
Steak/potato dish/salad
Chicken skewers and salad
Homemade pizzas
Chicken schnitzel/parmigiana and salad
Lamb chops and roast veggies
Marinated chicken and homemade fried rice

Anything that doesn't take too long to cook and the kids will eat lol.

#11 kpingitquiet

Posted 20 January 2013 - 09:02 PM

I don't repeat things very often but ones I make at least once every month or two are:

- Gumbo w/ rice. Could be seafood, chicken, sausage, even beef, so it's good for using up whatever meat is handy. Not easy/quick though, so I always make enough for 2 dinners and 2 lunches.
- Seafood and veg Pomodoro
- Chicken or steak soft tacos w/ refried beans and pico de gallo
- Lemon-pepper grilled fish w/ a couple salads or hot veggies and couscous
- Flatbread pizzas with whatever we have on hand. Last week was steak and seafood combo.
- Vegetarian minestrone
- Veg & goat cheese frittata
- Broccoli soup
- Stuffed squash whenever we get a new "ronde de nice" in the garden.

The list changes every 4 months or so, with the weather/season. In winter it'd be a curry, Three-Cups Chicken, roasts, casseroles, thick stews, etc. Just depends.

#12 Chelara

Posted 20 January 2013 - 09:09 PM

Roast dinner, fried rice, lamb chops and veg, fish and salad, tacos, stir fry, lasagne.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.