condensed milk
would you use it

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 middle

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:25 PM

hi ladies,

Ihave just opened a can of condensed milk  used by october 2013 once i have tipped it into my biscuit mix i noticed that the condensed milk had started to thicken in the bottom of the can and i had to scrap it out rather then the normal pour. my question is would you use it or would you throw it out. i have never seen this before so i am not sure if it was about to go off.thank you

#2 (feral)epg

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:29 PM

When we lived in Zimbabwe the condensed there was often a bit weird - I think it sometimes got a bit cooked transit.  If it smells fine and the tin was not dented or anything I would probably use it.

#3 namie

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:30 PM

I would, but I always scrape the tin to make sure I get all of it out.

As PP said, as long as the tin hadn't been damaged at all, I would think it was still fine.

#4 treetree

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:34 PM

It'd be fine. I find it does that sometimes, and I've never had an issue. Still tasted good, too good.

#5 elizabethany

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:40 PM

It can get thicker at the bottom if some of the sugar falls out of solution, it is fine, just scrape it out.  There is actually so much sugar in condensed milk that it will not go off like normal milk, and can be left in a cupboard unsealed for a few weeks.

#6 noi'mnot

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:53 PM

Why don't you taste it and see? Make sure you get a good range of samples from all parts of the can, to ensure flavour consistency...

#7 Mercurial

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:55 PM

QUOTE (noi'mnot @ 20/01/2013, 01:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why don't you taste it and see? Make sure you get a good range of samples from all parts of the can, to ensure flavour consistency...

This is what I love about EB - solid, practical advice for all situations.

#8 middle

Posted 20 January 2013 - 02:55 PM

thank you very much ladies i was not sure

#9 ubermum

Posted 20 January 2013 - 03:05 PM

As long as the tin is undamaged, the contents will be fine. Tinned food carries a best before date not a use by date. That means that up to that date, the contents will be exactly as you expect. After that date, there may be changes to the contents that affect the texture and consistency, but they won't be spoiled.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• ek-smiggle-driver-thumb

Smiggle is painting the town red!

We have 3 Red Smiggle prize packs to give away! Enter by posting a photo of something red to your Instagram.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.