1st birthday party - food for the little ones

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 WinterIsComing

Posted 20 January 2013 - 02:42 PM

Finally it is happening! My boy is turning 1!!!

One year ago it seemed like such a far-away milestone....How time flew!

I am planning an outdoor party - BBQ, as most guests will be adults, childless or with children of similar age (1). There will be a handful of children in the 2-4 age range.

I assume 2-4 years olds will join us in eating sausages, chicken, steaks and other BBQ goodies, plus salads. There will also be a cake and potentially some other baked goodies.

But how do I cater to 1 year old ones?

My ideas:

- keeping a few mini organic yogurts in the esky
- buying some wholemeal muffins, made with fruit (well semi healthy, don't you think?)
- Stocking up on cheese sticks (they can also eat bread).
- Cutting up some fruit like watermelon, banana, mango - do I bother?

Or am I overthinking it? Will parents of babies bring their own food, WDYT?

#2 wannabe30

Posted 20 January 2013 - 05:15 PM

I'd do the fruit platter, as most 1 year olds will eat a piece of fruit.

I've also been to 1 yo parties with a small selection of sandwiches - vegemite, cream cheese, avocado, etc. and some of the kids will probably also have something off the BBQ - my DS certainly would have.

The cheese sticks are a nice idea, but not essential. I wouldn't bother with yoghurt - too hard to feed to a kid in a party situation.

Another good one is pita bread and dips like hummus that you can spread and give to a little one. And everyone else can eat it too, so it's not like you have to prepare a whole separate thing.

#3 Lucygoosey1

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:52 PM

At my DD2's first birthday,  we did a fruit platter,  as well as a cheese, kabana,  breads & dips plate.  These went down well.  My DD would have eaten sausage on bread, some salad items at that age (& a bit of cake!)

#4 imamumto3

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:55 PM

I find most kids and adults like a fruit platter.  also my kids would have eat sausages and bread at a bbq at that age too

#5 Jenferal

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:01 PM

Nothing too messy is my contribution. Yoghurt etc would be way too messy.
I did dips(home made) and crackers, cupcakes(of which she ate..oh,none) and cheese and biscuits. i did a afternoon tea though, not a main meal BBQ.

#6 Ice Queen

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:39 PM

Fruit platter.  I suspect the other kids will eat it too.

Hommous and pita is a great idea then the bubs can chew away without mum having to feed it to them.

#7 PrincessPeach

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:49 PM

At my nephew's 1st birthday party, the kids ate the same food put out for the parents & barely touched anything made specifically for them.

So fruit, hamemade sausage rolls (my MIL's speciality) & homemmade mini quiches, crackers, homus dip veggie sticks etc..

#8 Escapin

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:54 PM

The most popular thing at DD's 1st bday party was corn on the cob, boiled and then cut into 3cm-ish rounds. We also had a fruit platter which was popular, but not as much as the corn!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• Essential-Kids_Snow-Queen-Promotion-tile

Win a Fairytale experience

To celebrate the DVD release of The Snow Queen, we are offering one lucky child and their guardian the chance to experience what it would be like to live in an enchanted fairytale.

• ebk-canonD30-thumb

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.