What are my options
I need advice asap before school goes back

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 olikat03

Posted 20 January 2013 - 03:38 PM

Both my husband and I leave home at 6am to go to work. I have been relying on my mother to look after our 10 year old daughter while we work. But my mum has a life and she cant do this full time. I really need to get some advice on what options i have.

As we leave the house early, before school care is not an option because they don't open until 7am. Family daycare providers in our area don't start this early either. I have been looking at dial and angel but not sure about these places as i read they require a minimum of 3 hours or something like that. I really only need someone from 6am til 8.30am until she goes to school. And i am home in time to pick her up from school.

If we went through an agency would we be entitled to a rebate. And if there are no options for care because there is nothing available what else is there that we could do. The only other options is for me to quit work and then we would be worse off.

I cant believe it is so hard to find something. I can drop her off at her friends house and she will get a lift to school but that means I have to drive 15 min in the opposite direction from work. And then i worry about her friends mother getting annoyed at having to have an extra kid every day and then decided she no longer wants to do it.

Can any one suggest other options I'm not thinking of.

Edited because it keep adding the reply before i was ready to post it LOL

Edited by olikat03, 20 January 2013 - 03:50 PM.

#2 OneMore?

Posted 20 January 2013 - 03:45 PM

Our BSC starts 6.30am - does your school have that option ?

Other option is to hire a uni student or a retired person (or even another mother) and hire them from 6 - 8.30 (or whatever). Or a mix of your Mum, BSC, someone else ?

We use a uni student for ASC, she picks everyone up in the afternoon, does homework, afternoon tea and has kids in PJ's when I get home.

#3 mummy~2~two

Posted 20 January 2013 - 03:57 PM

Try advertising on Gumtree. There are often before and after school jobs listed on that.
Otherwise try Find a babysitter but you do have to pay for that, though it would be much cheaper than Dial an Angel.

#4 mumto3princesses

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:02 PM

QUOTE (OneMore? @ 20/01/2013, 04:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Other option is to hire a uni student or a retired person (or even another mother) and hire them from 6 - 8.30 (or whatever). Or a mix of your Mum, BSC, someone else ?

This. Offer to pay another mum or a neighbour or something? Or is there a neighbour with a High School student who goes past her school who can walk her to school on the way to their school?

#5 liveworkplay

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:03 PM

Since you leave at 6am you would want someone at 545am. 545am to 830am is nearly 3 hours anyway.

Tough situation. Looks like your only options are: change jobs/hours, rely on friends or pay for care.

#6 Aribika

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:19 PM

If there is no care available for the hours you need you should be eligible for in-home care and the relevant government benefits. (CCB and CCR)  This is assuming that there is an in-home care scheme and an interested care provider in your area.  Contact the Family Day care scheme in your area or the local council and see if they can give you any info.

Lorraine

#7 SeaPrincess

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:19 PM

If there is no other alternative, you may be eligible for in-home care with CCB/CCR entitlement. You would have to go through an approved provider, same as for daycare/OSHC.  Contact the Child Care Access Hotline on 1800 670 305 to find out, and they will also be able to give you contact details of an approved provider.

There is a daycare centre local to us that provides 24-hour care.  DD used to go there, but I'm not sure how they do it - I suspect that they are approved for in-home care outside of their normal operating hours (6am-6pm).

Another option, if you've got space for it, is an au pair. There are several families at our school with au pairs.

#8 AIR

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:37 PM

Hi I am in the similar situation , except I am a single parent, 1 st of my children goes to bsc. but my 2nd child isn't allowed to attended because her disabilities.  I currently have a family daycare lady which we start with after next. But if things don't work out (3 rd daycare lady ) i need to find other arrangements.  

I looked into in home care but you only get$5 something for ccb then you still have to pay the gap which is usually at least $20 an hr. so fairly $$ . Not working isn't an option for me.
I wish you luck

Edited by AIR, 20 January 2013 - 05:42 PM.

#9 olikat03

Posted 20 January 2013 - 05:00 PM

Thanks everyone for the replies, so much info for us to think about   smile1.gif

I have found a couple of people through find a babysitter and gumtree. im thinking of putting my own ad on gumtree to see if someone would like to share childcare. I am willing to help out in the afternoons if someone else could do the same for me in the morning. Might not have to exchange money then for care.

Thanks Seaprincess for that number to call. I will ring and see what i can find out

#10 niggles

Posted 20 January 2013 - 06:11 PM

QUOTE (olikat03 @ 20/01/2013, 03:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks everyone for the replies, so much info for us to think about   smile1.gif

I have found a couple of people through find a babysitter and gumtree. im thinking of putting my own ad on gumtree to see if someone would like to share childcare. I am willing to help out in the afternoons if someone else could do the same for me in the morning. Might not have to exchange money then for care.

Thanks Seaprincess for that number to call. I will ring and see what i can find out

This is really worthwhile advertising within your school. There is a good chance there will be a family that needs after school care that could help you with before. Win-win.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• ebk-canonD30-thumb

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.