Waiting for period after giving birth

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Feral Joules

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:40 PM

DS is 11 months old today, yay 😃and I still haven't got my period. I'm breastfeeding on demand and I know that this is in the bounds of normal, but I'm starting to wonder about my chances of falling pregnant without having a first period.

I have a prescription for the mini pill, but other than a slight concern over an unplanned pregnancy I'm really enjoying not having my period every month.

So I was wondering has anyone out there in the EB universe fallen pregnant before their first period, and if so how did you find out?

My first pregnancy was symptom free apart from the no show period for the first 8 weeks...

#2 Cherish

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:46 PM

My period usually returns when my kid is about 13 months old... And I fall pregnant then.... That's what's happened the last 3 times anyways!

#3 veggiepatchfamily

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:52 PM

LUCKY YOU!!
I got my periods back at 8 weeks despite never having gone longer then 2 hours between breast feeds and never haven given a dummy sad.gif
But as a midwife I have cared for many women who fell pregnant before a period, a large amount around the 3-6 months post baby. However I have also met a large number of women who had to decrease feeding/wean their feeding baby in order to get periods to return to fall pregnant.
I'm not sure where I heard/learnt this but I think the number if months feeding equals for the length of time for normal menstration to return after the cessation of feeding. Eg- feed for 3 months = 3 months until period and so on.
I would NEVER recommend using just breast feeding as a sole method of contraception!!

#4 Justaduck

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:55 PM

Jealous here too! DD is the same age and af returned when she was 13 weeks old, despite only being breastfed, and on demand then (and still).

From what I have read a lot of the time in bfing Mums the first symptom is milk rejection from the change in taste from the hormones. Not been in the situation myself though

#5 Alina0210

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:55 PM

After my kids I got my period back:
After DS - 14mths (took 6mths toget pregnant ended in MC then another 6mths to get pregnant)
After DD1 - 15mths (got pregnant after 1 period)
After DD2 - 21mths until my period returned....

I breastfed on demand and never took any protection other than withdrawal method.... mini pill is ok but can bring ur period back sooner than if u waited.

#6 veggiepatchfamily

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:59 PM

QUOTE (broncosbabe @ 20/01/2013, 05:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
From what I have read a lot of the time in bfing Mums the first symptom is milk rejection from the change in taste from the hormones. Not been in the situation myself though

For me it is!!!
I can tell you when I ovulate and when period will come due to DS feeding habits!!!
PITA!!

#7 noi'mnot

Posted 20 January 2013 - 05:01 PM

When you're breastfeeding, I think the average time post birth it takes for your period to come back is about 14 months. Lots of things impact on your fertility during this time, I wouldn't rely on it as your only method of contraception post 6-months.

It's very possible to fall pregnant before your period returns, because you normally ovulate before you get your first period back.

There's lots of information about this at Kellymom.

#8 Sunny003

Posted 20 January 2013 - 05:07 PM

DS1 was 7mths when period returned, fell pg first cycle trying when he was 10mths.
DS2 was around 18mths when period returned.
DD1 is 5wks. Am hoping for it to be similar to DS2 LOL

ETA: DS1 weaned at 22mths, DS2 weaned at 16mths.

Edited by Sunny003, 20 January 2013 - 05:08 PM.

#9 bjk76

Posted 20 January 2013 - 05:20 PM

I'm still breastfeeding DS (21mo) on demand. My periods came back when he was 13mo and I haven't noticed any changes in DS's feeding due to hormonal changes.

#10 leo the lioness

Posted 20 January 2013 - 06:37 PM

I can't comment on not having a period and getting pregnant because mine returned when DD was 13 weeks old (fully breastfed) so I had quite a few before getting pregnant with DS!  Just very jealous!  (Second time around I got to 16 weeks after having my baby.)

#11 Phascogale

Posted 20 January 2013 - 06:39 PM

With DD1 I got my period when I weaned at 13 months (well 4 or 5 weeks after I weaned so I guess she was 14 months old) and I got pregnant again about 3/4 months later.

With DD2 I breastfed her for 15 months with no period.  Then we decided to have another child, stopped breastfeeding and got pregnant that cycle with no period (the midwives didn't believe I knew my due date without having had a period - I matched the ultrasound date!)

DD3, got my period back at 6 weeks - probably to pay me back for not having one between the two youngest kids!

OP, it's hard to say when you will get your period or whether you will get pregnant before you have your period.  For some with that first period they don't ovulate, but it's not something to rely on.  Look at PP whose baby was 21 months before she got her period back.

#12 flipped out

Posted 20 January 2013 - 06:48 PM

My period has just returned and DD is nearly 14mo

#13 harryhoo

Posted 20 January 2013 - 06:52 PM

I ws expressing fulltime and on the minipill. I stopped expressing when DS was 9.5 months and stopped taking the minipill about two months later. I just got my period back when he was 11 months.

There are some pretty strict guidelines if you want to use bf as your only contraception, I think, including no dummies, no bottles, no long breaks between feeding even at night. Athough you might want to check that.

#14 Feral Joules

Posted 20 January 2013 - 06:53 PM

Yeah, definitely not relying on breastfeeding as a contraceptive.    

I probably should start the mini pill, but some of the research I have done (Re frequent break through bleeding, moodiness, etc) have made me nervous, plus, like I said before, I am enjoying the period free time ☺

#15 strawberrycakes

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:03 PM

Lucky you OP.
I was looking forward to not having mine return for a good few months at least after DD was born but not the case.

I breastfed on demand, never going more than 3 hours between feeds & mine returned exactly 3 weeks after DD was born.
It came literally like a week after the lochia stopped, was not impressed at all.

I knew every single month for the next 13 months when it was coming because DD was shocking at feed times.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• Essential-Kids_Snow-Queen-Promotion-tile

Win a Fairytale experience

To celebrate the DVD release of The Snow Queen, we are offering one lucky child and their guardian the chance to experience what it would be like to live in an enchanted fairytale.

• ebk-canonD30-thumb

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.