How to keep crackling?
A very unusual occurrence...

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 knittingkitten

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:13 PM

I cooked a perfect pork roast this afternoon but then we popped over to a  neighbour's place...we had lots of lovely nibbles and now we're not hungry.

So for the first time in my life I'm wondering how to store the crackling to keep it's crackle?

Edited by knittingkitten, 20 January 2013 - 07:14 PM.

#2 Feral Grey Mare

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:15 PM

Are you serious? Just eat it. What does hunger have to do with it when there's crackling?

#3 Stellajoy

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:16 PM

You basically can't. You would have to keep it super dry so either a food dehydrator or in the oven at a very low temp until you want to eat it.

#4 Lucrezia Borgia

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:16 PM

Send it to me... I have a great idea of where to store it....... ph34r.gif

#5 starfire

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:27 PM

Might be a bit late...

I haven't had to do this personally so my advice may not work, however try placing baking paper on top of the roast pork and wrap in alfoil and reheat in the oven the next day. This might help with keeping the crackling crisp but truth be told, I don't think it stays very crisp after you put it in the fridge.

From memory, the crackling was still good microwaved (even nice cold ph34r.gif ) but not as "crisp" as fresh out of the oven)

Good luck! biggrin.gif

#6 fancie

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:45 PM

We have never ever had even a skerrick of crackling left over before, so have no idea sorry.

#7 credence

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:44 PM

I think you could probably re-crackle the crackling in the oven. Just separate from the meat and put it on a baking tray in a hot oven. Can't see why that wouldn't work.

#8 Funnington

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:05 PM

There is nothing better than cold roast pork sandwiches with crushed crackle and apple sauce and heaps of pepper.

Do you have any leftover roast pork?

Other than that ..... eat it until you put a layer of fat around your heart!

Edited by Funnington, 21 January 2013 - 07:05 PM.

#9 knittingkitten

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:02 PM

We ate it cold in a Viet style noodle salad. Still crunchy....still yummy!

#10 knittingkitten

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:02 PM

We ate it cold in a Viet style noodle salad. Still crunchy....still yummy!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.