Flea treatment - Cat

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Satay Chicken

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:07 AM

So yesterday I gave my 5yo DSH male cat a flea treatment - he's usually pretty good after although really detests it but after yesterdays treatment he went very quiet and hid in the corner of the room for a good few hours, we just left him.  This morning he was asleep when I got up which is not normal and he had messed his litter tray very badly.

I know he's not well, should I just let him go for another day or get him into the vet?  He's eating but only a couple of bisuits and he has had some water.

Also, for those who have exclusively indoor cats, do you still get fleas?  We are in a top floor unit and every summer without fail we get fleas, presume we are bringing them in on shoes.

#2 humphreybear

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:13 AM

I'd be taking him to the vet personally. Mine (like most cats) hide illness well so if it seems they're sick, they are.

Ours are indoor cats and we get fleas. They do the odd escape two feet out the door and must get them from the grass or we bring them in. We got them really badly last year. We were treating using capstar tablets, advantage as well as program injections. Silly me though we could skip the injections since they were indoor cats.

#3 CountryFeral

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:18 AM

I'd take him to the vet.  It is possibly just a coincidence that he has got sick at the same time as you flea treated him.

We used to give my old boy a flea bath!  Oh happy days.... I can still picture his furious face glaring at me from the laundry tub!

#4 Guest_~Karla~_*

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:33 AM

I'd be taking him to the vet.

One of mine licked a spot-on treatment off her neck so much that she made herself sick - but it was only vomiting and the amount she ingested was less than the doses used in the clinical trials for oral ingestion, so I didn't worry too much. She was fine. The behaviour your cat is showing sounds like there's something wrong and he is quite sick.

#5 Satay Chicken

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:40 AM

Thank you!
DH just came home from work and the little fella did a drop and roll and then wanted to play!  DH says he seems fine but will keep an eye on him for the rest of the day.... maybe he was just being a sook - typical..  wink.gif

#6 Feral*Spikey*

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:47 PM

My indoor cat has never had a flea, so we don't bother with flea treatments. One of the benefits - no worming crap, no flea crap and a nice clean kitty with no icky parasites.

Unless you live in a house where you end up with a flea infestation (sometimes they can come indoors from flea-infested ground outdoors) I would not bother with further flea treatments.

Glad he's picked up a bit. original.gif

#7 Satay Chicken

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:31 AM

QUOTE (*Spikey* @ 21/01/2013, 05:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My indoor cat has never had a flea, so we don't bother with flea treatments. One of the benefits - no worming crap, no flea crap and a nice clean kitty with no icky parasites.

Unless you live in a house where you end up with a flea infestation (sometimes they can come indoors from flea-infested ground outdoors) I would not bother with further flea treatments.

Glad he's picked up a bit. original.gif

Hey Spikey, he's never been outside and we live on a top floor unit so we must be bringing flees in on our clothing.  This is the second year we have had fleas...  rant.gif

He's totally fine today which is fabulous but appears the flea treatment didn't work anyway.  I put down a white sheet on his bedding last night and sure enough more flea dust... so annoying....

#8 Guest_~Karla~_*

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:38 AM

Buy some Capstar tablets from the supermarket (same active ingredient and concentration as the far more expensive vet-only brand) and give him 1 every second day plus use Advantage spot-on every 2 weeks. That should get rid of them. The Capstar should kill all fleas on him within 20-30 minutes and the Advantage should control the ones in his environment.

Edited by ~Karla~, 22 January 2013 - 07:38 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.