saving money at the supermarket
tips?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 szj

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:34 PM

We have just had our 4th child (3rd boy!) And Iam wondering how to save $ at the supermarket.
Ido majority of shopping at Aldi, go to the butchers and fruit market. Ihave no time at the moment to bake, usually Ido
OUr dinners Iike  to eat decent meat, not too much mince.
But Iam wondering if their is other ways I can save $, any tips?
TIA

#2 raone

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:18 PM

Do you have a large freezer? My butchers diet mince is $20 for 2 kilos thats way cheaper than the supermarket. Plus i find if i do a months worth of meat there to freeze he usually gives me some free stuff. biggrin.gif Also pay attn to the special cycles. I shop at safeway for non perishables an usually my cats food is on sale every four weeks so i buy four weeks worth. When you have extra cash buy stuff that won't get used like lollies/ biscuits would I buy large amounts of tilet rolls etc so I have it for tight months. Oh and if you have kids that waste the tp squash the rolls. biggrin.gif

Do you have a large freezer? My butchers diet mince is $20 for 2 kilos thats way cheaper than the supermarket. Plus i find if i do a months worth of meat there to freeze he usually gives me some free stuff. biggrin.gif Also pay attn to the special cycles. I shop at safeway for non perishables an usually my cats food is on sale every four weeks so i buy four weeks worth. When you have extra cash buy stuff that won't get used like lollies/ biscuits would I buy large amounts of tilet rolls etc so I have it for tight months. Oh and if you have kids that waste the tp squash the rolls. biggrin.gif

#3 monkeys mum

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:30 PM

Meal plan, use less meat, I know you said you like meat but Dp loves meat and even he hasn't noticed nthat our meals get boosted with grated mushroom, carrots, zucchini, etc.

I have just gone to the butchers today where I spent $49, I got Chicken breast, T bone, Pork snags, Chicken snags, Mince x3, Beef Schnitzel. So eight meals in total. I've literally just sat and wrote out what else was in the freezer (not much lol) and what I would be making for dinners till next pay, so eight meals in total. Then I just listed what else we needed.

So I do this by headings, Fruit n Veg, Dairy, Dry Foods. I don't buy junk food or food that has been overly processed. Kids don't get chips or lollies, they snack on fruit, vegie sticks, rice crackers, or if I have time or the energy baked goodies.

I found the best saving I did was not buying processed junk, making dinners from scratch, buying fruit n veg in season, and going to the supermarket last. I go Butchers, its a direct from the farm butchers, Fruit n veg shop, then Supermarket, I find not buying fruit n veg from the supermarket saved money as the fruit n veg will easily last 10-14days, supermarket stuff i was lucky if it lasted a week.

#4 froggy1

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:50 PM

I agree with comments above:
* Grow your own vegies if possible (you can save a fortune); for example, we grew potatoes in our front yard (built a no-dig garden in an afternoon) and we dug up enough to last us two months so far and I'd estimate we have about three months worth of potatoes still to eat. Just storing them under the house.
* Eat less meat.
* Buy in bulk when things are on special.
Good luck!

#5 *cough*

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:57 PM

Use vinegar and bicarb to clean with.

Vinegar as fabric softener.

Buy in bulk.

Buy washing powder from Costco/Big W

Stock up on stuff when it's on sale

#6 mollybot

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:00 PM

Go as few times as possible - we went onto a Monthly pay cycle so I buy a months worth of dry groceries at once. Our grocery bill has noticeably gone down, just with this. Every time you have to "just pop in" for milk or other staples, you tend to blow more money than intended (I mean, maybe you don't, but most people do).

I also shop online - even though it is more expensive per individual item, I find being able to sit and plan properly, to double-check what's in the cupboard and fridge and not have to deal with impulse purchases, saves us a heap of money.

So I do a big online shop once a month, then go out once a fortnight for meat & veg (we eat a lot of frozen veg !!).

#7 mollybot

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:05 PM

Oh and PS: Not to be difficult, but veggie patches are overrated - at least here in Perth, the soil is SO awful you have to spend a bomb enriching it - even supplementing with homemade compost. They're also tricky - you have to know the planting and growth cycle of the plants you put in, as well as pests and diseases. Not to mention water restrictions.

Potatoes are easy, but so cheap to buy its hardly worth it ! If you like cooking with herbs its worth bunging in punnets of things like basil, rosemary, marjoram and sage. Coriander grows easily from seed too - but on the whole, unless you know what you're doing, its no way to feed a large family ! Its a nice hobby, but that's it .....

(Can you tell I've been trying for over a decade ?! Brown fingers ! *sob*)

#8 jessie123

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:50 PM

Try and buy meat on special

I have a place near me that always has chicken breast for $8 a kilo.

Now and then they have lamb loin chops for $12 which is a bargain.

Same with steak, fish etc stockup and freeze when its on sale.

The other option is to eat cheaper meals.

Any other grocery items learn what the sales price is of things you like to buy and buy several when its on special. After a while you will never need to pay full price.

I know I can only get shopping to a certain level as don't eat lots of carbs and do baking etc.

#9 ubermum

Posted 21 January 2013 - 05:13 PM

Have a big freezer. We are just upgrading to a 500L one.

Don't shop at the supermarket. They are all too expensive. I go in maybe once or twice a year for the few items I can't get anywhere else.

Buy your meat in bulk (like a whole lamb, half a cow type bulk) and eat less of it. You can go in halves with friends. We have 2-3 meat free meals per week.

I shop at Aldi, Costco, the local fruit and veg shop which is cheap and awesome and at the meatworks attached to an abbatoir near me.

I shop at Costco about once every six weeks, Aldi fortnightly, fruit and veg a few times a week and meat a couple of times per year. The less you go to shops the less you spend.

Buy what is in season. No just fruit and veg, but fish and to a lesser degree meat is seasonal.

#10 Kalota

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:21 PM

When I'm at the supermarket, I look for the little "sale" tags that they put under items and only ever buy items that are on sale/ on special!

#11 Twolittleducks

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:26 PM

In Brisbane the wholesale fruit and veg markets at Rocklea open to the public two days a week for two hours at a time. We take it in turns to go and buy for eight families at once. We each put in max $20. For less than $160 you can fill our Subaru Forester's boot to the brim with fruit and veg. For our $20 we get enough fruit and veg to last a fortnight and are saving an absolute fortune. We're loving the variety of what others select too.

#12 againagain

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:05 PM

We always shop first at NQR (are they everywhere or only Vic?) but you do have to be careful, they have a lot of junk food mixed in with real food so it can be easy to grab crap instead of decent stuff if you're not concentrating (or if you shop when hungry!).

We have a wholesale butcher nearby that is great, saves a fortune and means we eat nice meat for the same price people pay for crap at the supermarket.

We also go through those saver coupon newpapers and use whatever we can.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.