DS 8 1st one home?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 bondibelle

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:17 PM

DS~8yrs has been going to ASC now for 2 years and possibly again this year, however i am curious as to the feedback on how young is too young for kids to have a house key and let themselves in afterschool?  The school bus would drop him off at our door (it's a very small school) and I would be home approx 45- 60min (no later) after him.  Providing there were strict rules in place re: homework, answering telephone/door  - could this work?  I am curious as to how other parents feel about this.

#2 Sif

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:39 PM

8 is a bit young, I think, but it depends on the kid, I guess.

I was left home alone with my brother when I was 8 and he was 6, but we definitely got up to stuff...

#3 Funwith3

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:39 PM

Although I'm sure there'd be no problems, I wouldn't let my DD do that ( and she's turning 8 next month). Maybe when she's 10?  unsure.gif

#4 Expelliarmus

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:40 PM

My lower limit is 10.

#5 Sif

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:41 PM

That said, my older boys are both getting house keys this year, and if the 11 year old (turning twelve in June) comes home before us, he will be in charge of our 7 year old, but they're both very truthworthy kids  (I'm actually more concerned about the 13 year old, but thankfully it'll take him a while to get home either way!)...

#6 The Old Bag

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:43 PM

My nearly 9yo would lose the key eventually, so no, not for him. I think I would also want a child put in this position to have a mobile phone.

#7 gettheetoanunnery

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:48 PM

I think it depends on how relatively mature he is \.
With my oldest boy (8) I wouldn't have a problem with it - he is a "serious" type
With DS2 & 3, I'd come home to a shaved dog and an indoor skate park.

If he took it seriously and could handle it, it could be an awesome opportunity to build some independence, have free reign of the remote and enjoy the solitude

I wouldn't expect homework to be done. More like something to eat, get changed and read/watch tv.

No stove, no taking phonecalls, no answering door.

If he was prone to anxiety or reckless and impulsive behaviour, I wouldn't do it.

#8 Banana Pancakes

Posted 21 January 2013 - 05:02 PM

It would be a no from me as well. I think half way through year 6 would be a good starting time in my household.

#9 José

Posted 21 January 2013 - 05:43 PM

8 would be too young for me to feel comfortable.

#10 MahnaMahna

Posted 21 January 2013 - 05:49 PM

8 is too young IMO. At the moment I would lean towards 10+.

The stuff my brother and I used to get up to after school would horrify my mother...and we were older than 10!

#11 erindiv

Posted 21 January 2013 - 05:56 PM

The worst I did at that age was eat spoonfuls of Milo from the tin  biggrin.gif

That said, it was a rare occurrance for me to get home before my parents, usually only if they had been caught in traffic, etc. And I was with my 11yo brother. I stayed home sick for nearly a week while both my parents worked when I was 10/11 (can't quite remember) and it was a big deal.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.