Apricot chicken using whole chicken in slow cooker...
asking too much?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 busymum01

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:27 AM

So today's curve ball ... I have a whole chicken that needs to be cooked today and well frankly I can't be bothered fussing about with roast chicken and veg or whatever, to be left feeling underwhelmed come dinner time.

So... I have a big can of apricot nectar and a packet of french onion soup mix AND a slow cooker - can I combine all three to end up with a scrumptious meal come 6pm tonight? Can I just stick the whole chook in there and pick the meat off when cooked? Slow cooker novice indeed  biggrin.gif .

#2 noi'mnot

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:32 AM

I'd cut the chicken up, so that all the bits get soaked in the sauce. Just into four pieces, nothing fancy. I think this way it'll work fine.

I'd cut the chicken up, so that all the bits get soaked in the sauce. Just into four pieces, nothing fancy. I think this way it'll work fine.

#3 k10

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:32 AM

I'd give it a  go!  I've done a whole chook in the slow cooker and also apricot chicken with chicken thighs.  With the whole chook I don't think it needed as long as other large cuts of meat and they do tend to fall apart a bit.  But if you are happy to pick the bones etc out I reckon give it a go original.gif

#4 countrymel

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:34 AM

I can't see why not?

A Spanish friend taught me her super easy chicken recipe which was:  One whole chicken, three lemons, bunch of parsley, one onion, large saucepan of water + rice.

Simmer the chicken, parley, onion and the lemons in the water till cooked.
Remove chicken, chuck onion into compost and cook rice in the lemony, chickeny stock.
Shred the chicken off the carcass and serve with the rice.

Utterly delicious.

#5 busymum01

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:44 AM

Countrymel that sounds delicious!

I'll give it a crack and see what happens. Noi'mnot I did think about cutting up the raw chicken, but I've never pieced a raw chook so it made me feel... well kind of chicken.

#6 Laborious Nicety

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:52 AM

Just don't throw an onion which has been cooked in stock into the compost unless you like rats and snakes...

#7 MrsLexiK

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:01 PM

I don't see why not, I did a roast type whole chicken the other day in the slow cooker, I was surprised.  Personally I wouldn't do Apricot chicken but that is because I have a very big hatred for it.  If you wanted it all saucy cut it up, but if you just want the flavour through it and not sooking in the sauce do the whole chicken and then pull it appart.  I wouldn't be drizzling the sauce of the top of the chicken, because when I did my roast there was a lot of chicken "bits" and jucies floating in the bottom of the slow cooker pot.

#8 WinterDancesHere

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:42 PM

I'd just cook the chicken and make the sauce separately in the microwave.

I don't think it'd thicken well in the slow cooker and like the PP says, it'd end up with a lot of chicken goo through it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.