Roof insulation in a rental

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 peach*face

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:35 PM

Has anyone asked their realestate to ask their LL to put some kind of insulation in a rented house?

We have no air con, ceiling fans or insulation in an old weatherboard house. The house faces west and has a tin roof. Needless to say on days of late the house has been unbearable. Apparently a portable air con will do nothing (according to the sales rep).

So I was hoping to get some kind of insulation in the property, yet I don't know how it would go down. We have to leave our house in intense heat as inside is hotter than outside so something needs to change.

Edited by peach*face, 22 January 2013 - 01:36 PM.

#2 Purelle

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:40 PM

As a landlord I would consider an air conditioner before I would consider insulation. All insulation will do in a weatherboard is maintain the temp, whether it be hot or cold. Ask for an air on. Hopefully you have a decent landlord original.gif

#3 Rachaelxxx

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:43 PM

I would ask for an aircond. Good luck with it.

#4 Magenta Ambrosia

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:54 PM

Edit double post.

The government kindly paid for the insulation in our rental.

Edited by Magenta Ambrosia, 22 January 2013 - 03:56 PM.

#5 Magenta Ambrosia

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:54 PM

We got our landlord to put in ducted evaporative cooling. By putting a case forth that it adds to the value of the house and With $10 rent increase it will be paid off in 5 years, as well as being tax deductible.

#6 Fluster

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:37 PM

I'm going to side track a bit here to talk about portable air-conditioners...

We own our house, but due to an influx of kohls in our neighbourhood each spring/summer, have elected to keep portable air-conditioners as our means of cooling the house because the white noise blocks out the bird noise!

Portable air-cons don't keep your house as cool as the installed types, particularly not on very hot days, however they do make a noticeable and very pleasant difference.  Our 7 year old convair is on it's last legs and was given away for a 'spare room' use, however it was quite good, as is the 5 year old Dimplex and brand new, reverse cycle dimplex.

Over a typical summer night, the 5 year old Dimplex will extract 8 litres of water from my son's bedroom and keep it cool enough for him to sleep untroubled even on the hottest nights.  My husband and I have the newer dimplex in our room.  It recycles the water, so there's no need to worry about collecting water every night. It does an amazing job of cooling the room, even though our room size is right at the maximum size recommended for the air-con.  We paid $519 to buy it and have it delivered.

Honestly, if your landlord isn't cooperative, I would look into this option.  Resale prices are terrific, too, so if it doesn't work for you, you shouldn't struggle to find a buyer.

#7 ednaboo

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:39 AM

I would have thought that celing  insulation would still be worthwhile in this scenario.  We have a weatherboard with a colorbond roof - the house is old but the roof isn't and there is a layer of foil insulation under the colorbond.  We also have ceiling insulation.  Some of our walls are insulated because the house was extended.  

OP I would ring a large insulation installer and ask them for advice.  Also, a whirlybird or two in the roof would help to release hot air.  These are pretty cheap to buy but with a colorbond roof they have to be installed by a roof plumber apparently.

#8 JJ

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:54 AM

All you can do is ask. It sounds like a very reasonable request - your house needs to be liveable after all, you pay rent to live there, not to have to go outside when things get unbearable, IYKWIM. Let them know how hot it gets in your house and that you have to go outside sometimes due to the heat, so they know it's a serious issue and not just a case of you wanting some more comfort.

I asked for insulation here, and my LL put it in. My main problem here was how cold it got inside in the winter, and there was no way to get the house warm, let alone keep in the warmth. I included those temperatures in the request, maybe that prompted her to act. wink.gif

LL had long been needing to replace the roof too, so when that was done, they put in additional insulation.. so now I have double, ceiling and roof.

I got a rent increase soon after of course, but it was worth it. It makes a big difference in summer and in winter.

#9 lozoodle

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:09 AM

As a landlord, for me it would depend on the type of roof and the access.

If there was an easy way to gain access and the roof had a proper cavity, I would have no problem with going in and putting insulation bats in the roof, particularly as we have a heap of the stuff lying around from doing our own house recently.

If there was no roof cavity or easy access, no way would I be doing it. This is the situation in our current house and it literally required the roof plaster to be removed and replaced, or tiles / colorbond removed from the exterior of the roof to have this done - the cost would be ridiculous.

I might consider installing airconditioning (split system, not ducted).

Either way, you should definitely ask original.gif

Edited by lozoodle, 23 January 2013 - 11:11 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• Essential-kids_320x214-redballoon

WIN a $100 RedBalloon for Dad

Enter now for your chance to win 1 of 5 $100 RedBalloon experience vouchers. Helping you make Dad's Day EXTRA HAPPY.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.