Year 1 at Feb 2014

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 1200

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:36 PM

i am heading to sydeny next year, my younger girl is truning 6 on 2nd Aug 2014. is there any chance to be in Year 1 at Feb 2014?

#2 DamiansMama

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:25 PM

Tecnically no as the cut off is 31st July, but should you believe that she is capable, perhaps speaking with the school may be a start.

#3 1200

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:05 PM

i just wonder is there any chance to have any exceptional or the cut off day is very strict. did anyone ever make it?

#4 gizboo

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:14 PM

My son will be turning 6 in Sept 2014, and will be in Kindergarten next year. I've never attempted it, but yes, the cut off is pretty strict.

Kindergarten in NSW is the first official fulltime year of school, exact same hours as Yr1, so she still would be in school, if that helps.

#5 JKTMum

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:08 PM

What are you intending to do with your daughter in terms of schooling for this year (2013) and where would you be moving from (another state in Australia or from somewhere else)?

If she hasnt had any schooling this year there would be little chance they would accept her into year 1 next year (Feb 2014) as children entering year 1 will be expected to be reading and writing and have had at least one year of formal schooling already (Kindergarten in NSW is the first year of fulltime compulsory schooling, year 1 is the 2nd).

I live in Victoria so our cutoff is April 30th, but a few years ago they did accept a child with a June birthday at our school in Prep (first year of compulsory fulltime schooling in Victoria). She had come to Australia from the USA where she had already been in a Montessori school (from the age of 3 in a 3 - 6 class) so was considered to have had some formal schooling already although she was only 4.5. They also accepted a young boy into year 1 who had come from overseas and already had a few months schooling over in his home country, but in his case it didnt work, he was too far behind the other kids both academically and socially, so after a few weeks he was placed back into the Prep class.

#6 Julie3Girls

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:09 AM

I think it will really depend on whether you are transferring or actually starting school.

I really don't think you would have much chance STARTING her in yr1 at that age - first year of school in NSW is kinder, and it is compulsory. They learn a LOT in that year.

If you wanted to get an exemption from the cutoff, I'd be guessing you would have had a better chance of doing that THIS year, for kinder.

If you are transferring from somewhere, and she has already done some formal schooling, you might have a chance.

#7 AnnoyingAnt

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:59 AM

If she has done a full year of kinder this year you would have a pretty good case for her to be in year 1 in 2014.  It also would be a good idea to contact the NSW dept of education to discuss your specific situation.  This will be far easier if your DD has done kinder this year and shows herself to be a high achiever- handling herself well both socially and academically.  

But be aware, your DD will be the youngest in her class.  It seems to be the done thing in Sydney to hold back children who aren't 5 before the end of the previous year.  This makes it difficult for the young children as then you get teachers who compare the maturity between children (who can be over 1 year different) and have unrealistic expectations for those younger children.  A good teacher shouldn't but inexperiencde teachers can easily fall into this trap.

#8 mum850

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:31 PM

QUOTE (LeSm @ 24/01/2013, 10:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If she has done a full year of kinder this year you would have a pretty good case for her to be in year 1 in 2014.

Just bear in mind that different states use different terms! LeSm is using kindergarten to mean first year of school which can be called prep, reception or preprimary in different states. Kindergarten means first year of school in NSW but PREschool in Vic and others.

SO I would agree with the sentence above but I would say "first year of school" instead of 'Kinder" cos if she had done kinder in Vic that would not make a good case for year one in 2014.

Are we confused yet?
biggrin.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• ebk-canonD30-thumb

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

• ppcard-thumb

Win a $200 Pumpkin Patch voucher

Fill out this quick survey and tell us in 25 words or less: what is your best pregnancy or parenting tip?

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.