Reluctant Reader

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Bella_a1

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:34 PM

DD is 6 and a half and about to start grade 2. She is a very reluctant reader she can do it when she has to but still sounds some harder words out. I think being the youngest in her year at school and the fact there are some very fluent readers in her class has knocked her confidence a bit so she find reading a chore.

I was hoping someone might suggest some books that might interest her for her age and ability.

#2 Julie3Girls

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:02 AM

Hard to make suggestions without knowing what her reading level actually is.
My 6 yr old is about to go into yr 1, is a mad keen reader. One of her favourites (and an easy read) are the Billy B Brown books.  
She is also into the rainbow faires books, and the magic ballerina books, which are harder. There are couple of rainbow fairies in an early reader version as well.  My older two girls were also very much into the rainbow fairies in yr1 and y2.

If you look in Big W, I find they actually have the books divided up, with a shelf of "early reader" books, and then slighter older/more advanced books.  

When my girls were still slow with their reading, we used to read a lot of them together. Starting of with a page each, then a chapter each. The girls liked reading themselves, but they still really enjoyed just sitting and listening as well. Following along while I read helped a lot with sight recognition as well.

#3 0zeKid

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:57 PM

DD2's teacher sent a message home saying that she (six years old) was also a reluctant reader. She didn't have the confidence to try and sound words out.

We started reading two books a night with her (that we read) and talked about them - the characters, what happened etc. I also pulled out the practice-readers (the books that just do one sound and really short words) and asked her to read one of the those every couple of nights (on those nights she would read one practice book and then I would read one picture book).

Finally, I started using Phonics Hero (a phonics reading and spelling online program) once a week with her, again to mix the learning up so it didn't feel like she was reading and learning to read, just playing a game.

We started this about four months ago and last night her teacher emailed to say that she is going up to the blue books in reading and has seen great improvement!

Good luck and try to remember to make it all as unstressful as possible - don't make it work and she will come around original.gif

Edited by 0zeKid, 23 January 2013 - 02:59 PM.

#4 mez70

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:35 PM

Also don't forget reading is just not books if that makes sense..

If she likes cooking getting a very basic children's cook book and together reading the recipie and making stuff can help,

If there are some of those kiddie magazines eg Moshi Monsters that she likes grab those.

Rainbow Faires and Tashi were favorites in DD's year when they were in grade 2. Some kids engage differently, also do you have any younger children?? Te reason I ask this I know of a few people who had some success at engaging kids back into reading by getting them to read the younger siblings a story. Eg so your DD would read her siblings a picture book to help you out, and then she feels like she is a big girl helping mum, sibling doesn't know if there are mistakes and if the pressure is off she then realises after a while hey I can read and regains some confidence to try.. Even know I get my DD who is 11 and never going to be an avid reader to read her brother a story as she hates reading out loud and it is the best way for her to do it, in a non pressure type way

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• Essential-kids_320x214-redballoon

WIN a $100 RedBalloon for Dad

Enter now for your chance to win 1 of 5 $100 RedBalloon experience vouchers. Helping you make Dad's Day EXTRA HAPPY.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.