Can you relax when your house is a tip?

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#1 EssentialBludger

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:34 PM

Yes, another housework thread!

We spent the day at adventure world today. It was 36 degrees. I'm so burnt (despite sunscreen), got a bee sting, have blistered, burnt feet from hot gravel and no shoes, and killer thigh muscles from damn peddle boats.

My kitchen is an absolute disgrace, but I cannot physically move. I'm trying to tell myself "it will still be there tomorrow" but it's not working!

Can you relax around mess? Or are my OCD senses just tingling?

#2 bakesgirls

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:37 PM

If I were in the same state as you right now, I'd just turn off the light so I couldn't see it wink.gif Out of sight, out of mind and all that...

#3 Super Cat

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:37 PM

To be honest, I had to learn to. It used to be impossible, but the past three years have been so hectic I just had to get used to mess. I still hate it though.

#4 unicorn

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:38 PM

When the rest of the house is too much to deal with we hang out in our bedroom, I keep it tidy for that reason. The kids can be found curled up in the bed with me with their various iPods, ebooks or whatever just relaxing and ignoring the rest of it.

#5 KatakaGeoGirl

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:39 PM

Depends on the 'mess'. If it is grotty mess (ie dirty kitchen stuff) we have to do it immediately - except for perhaps a mug in the sink from late night drink. Otherwise I couldn't relax no...

There are certain jobs I MUST do every morning without fail before I go anywhere - kitty litter, feed cats, sweep/and/or vac floor downstairs, dishes away, tidy over kitchen, empty kitchen bin. If all those are done then I can relax. I tend not to attend to the bedrooms as I should though... something has to give. But I do deal with grotty mess before I can relax!

#6 busymum01

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:40 PM

No, I can't relax around mess. I'm often not relaxed:P

lol love it! As long as my kitchen is clean, all is good with the world.

#7 Bart.

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:42 PM

QUOTE (Rawr @ 22/01/2013, 11:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As above.

#8 SCARFACE CLAW

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:45 PM

Nope, cannot relax in the evening until the house has been vacuumed, toys put away, general tidying done, and kitchen clean. I also find it difficult to get up in the morning if I know I'm getting up to a mess.

#9 Feral Grey Mare

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:46 PM

I try to stick to making sure the bed is made when I get out of it and that dishes are done or in the d/w before I go to bed. If I do these two then anything else that isn't done doesn't really bother me.

#10 bailee

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:47 PM

QUOTE (Rawr @ 22/01/2013, 11:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That was going to be my response word for word.

#11 FearsomeFeralFreak

No I can't. Mess makes me feel anxious.

Yes, I know that that makes me a freak....

#12 Justaduck

If it is clutter mess yes, if it is unhygenic mess (dirty dishes) no

#13 skylark

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:50 PM

I can't really relax if the place is a mess or dirty, I will do a whip around the house before sitting down, always put shopping away straight away, laundry has to be sorted and put away straight away etc etc. I have a recurring chronic fatique-y type condition and during those times the house can get less under control and I find it makes the whole experience even more unpleasant. I do all I can to keep the place clean and tidy as it really reflects on my state of mind, and my husband works from home a lot of the time and we both find it is so much easier to work in a clean and orderly space.

#14 mini mac

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:52 PM

QUOTE (Super Cat @ 22/01/2013, 08:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
To be honest, I had to learn to. It used to be impossible, but the past three years have been so hectic I just had to get used to mess. I still hate it though.

This. I am working on not worrying about it so much and focus more on 'life' is general than an immaculate house. I do still like a clean kitchen for the morning.

#15 EssentialBludger

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:54 PM

It is unfortunately dirty dishes mess. sad.gif mainly Just dinner dishes and leftovers from our picnic lunch. We even have a dishwasher, so it probably wouldnt even take long to clean, but I'm in so much pain.

I forgot to add the bee sting is on my ass. blush.gif

Edited by EssentialBludger, 22 January 2013 - 11:02 PM.

#16 B.feral3

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:57 PM

Another who can't go to bed with the place a mess. I can't study if the place is a mess either. I have to have floors, kitchen, bedrooms etc all done before I can comfortably hit the books.

#17 ~THE~MAGICIAN~

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:57 PM

I can't relax. Especially where the kitchen is concerned and ants at the moment everywhere!

OP - How is your kitchen such a mess if you've been out all day? Did you go out an leave it like that?

I can't leave in the morning for a day out if I haven't done at least the kitchen, made the beds and hung out any washing. There is nothing worse than coming home to a mess after a day out and having to clean up.

I also can't go to bed without cleaning the kitchen and turning the dishwasher on. Only if I am really sick, But OP it sounds like you've had a big day, so have a cool shower and go to bed and do it all in the morning!

#18 SylviaPlath

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:58 PM

I quickly ran into DS room (he is 16 months) while DH read books to him in the lounge so I could sort out all his food toys into their proper basket/container.IE: Fruit and veggies in one basket, pastries in another. Made sure all the cups, bowls were placed correctly in the toy kitchen cupboard and the magnetic bird and cooking spatulas were hung up on his little kitchen wall. So effectively, it needed to look like how my kitchen would be before I go to bed.    

Now, I already know tomorrow he will just dump it all over the floor, mix the foods all up, but the thought of not being able to get into his room later to clean up his room/kitchen just really bothered me. So no OP , you are not alone!
But if you can just close your eyes and forget about it, then do. It will certainly be there tomorrow!

#19 EssentialBludger

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:01 PM

OP - How is your kitchen such a mess if you've been out all day? Did you go out an leave it like that?

Yep. ph34r.gif It bugged me all day!

We slept in until 8.45, and had to be out the door at 9.30 as we were meeting friends.

#20 bush lawyer

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:04 PM

No, I really don't like mess. We renovated recently and the whole 3 months felt like torture and may have ended in divorce if it took any longer, I just couldn't relax and felt anxious constantly.  I like everything  in its place and the house clean. Like a pp said, there's nothing worse than coming home to a messy house.

#21 ~THE~MAGICIAN~

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:04 PM

Oh well these things happen. Maybe just rinse them all, throw any food scraps in the bin so to avoid ants and cochroaches and that will do.

#22 Frenchgirl

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:05 PM

I am one of these people who cannot even get into a unmade bed.... So no I cannot relax when the place is a tip. Kitchen has to be perfectly clean before bed. However in your situation I may just let it go one night!

#23 Expelliarmus

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:08 PM

I am a slovenly tart and will sit amongst mess far longer than is needful.

#24 ~THE~MAGICIAN~

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:08 PM

I can't get into an unmade bed either!

#25 Lim Lam

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:12 PM

yep i can, easy peasy

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• ppcard-thumb

Win a $200 Pumpkin Patch voucher

Fill out this quick survey and tell us in 25 words or less: what is your best pregnancy or parenting tip?

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.