Highland dancing - any experiences
what do I need to know?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 hjv

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:26 AM

My DD has just turned 9.  She has done some dancing in the past - just at a regular dance school, one without formal exams, more learning dance routines and performing at end of year concerts.  In the past couple of years, she has dropped dancing in favour of other activities.

She is interested in trying highland dancing and I think she would really enjoy it and get a lot out of it. People have been telling me it is very expensive.  Is anyone out there in EB land able to give me some idea of what I can expect, both in terms of cost and also committment.

Do highland dancing schools do end of year performances or is it more about competitions? Are there exams like ballet??

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Edited by hjv, 23 January 2013 - 12:48 PM.

#2 *Tess*

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:32 PM

Hi hjv,
My DDs do highland dancing.
Each school will be different but I'll give you our experience.
In terms of cost, I pay $8 per lesson. Lessons are either 1 or 1.5 hours, depending on the level. New beginners have one lesson a week and that increases to three lessons a week as they progress to the higher levels. For lessons, my girls wear a generic black leotard and a studio skirt that one of the grandmothers make for everyone. The major cost is the shoes, called pumps, that are between $50 - $100 depending on the brand. Treated well, they last about a year depending on foot growth.

Once they are ready for displays and competitions, they need a kilt. In our studio, these are usually available second hand or some parents are happy to lend their old kilts. A whole outfit secondhand is about $250-$350. One outfit can last for a number of years depending on the growth of the child. My eldest DD (11) is using her second kilt and I can see it fitting with hem adjustments for another three years still.

As they progress, there are a couple more costumes for other dances. Aboyne, jig and hornpipe. Again, we have both purchased and borrowed these from others in our studio.

As for performances, we occasionally participate in an end of year combined concert with all the other schools in the area but don't put on one ourselves. We usually have the opportunity to perform in about 4 displays each year. These can be for public in parks, or private in nursing homes etc. I believe the senior dancers may have further performance opportunities. None of these displays are compulsory.

My DDs both compete. We have about eight competitions a year. My girls love competing but we don't necessarily attend every comp. We have just started attending some competitions outside our own area as part of family holidays. They are a good excuse to get away.

There are exams just like ballet. My eldest DD is doing her grade 4 exam this year and my youngest is likely to do her pre-grade. Our teachers encourages everyone to do one exam per year right up to their teachers exam.

We are unusual in that we are a first generation dancing family. Most of the children dancing with my girls have mothers and in some cases grandmothers who also danced. That is a non issue and they don't treat me any differently. I have found it to be a very friendly, welcoming and supportive environment.

Hope this helps a bit. My girls both love it.
Feel free to ask any other questions.

Tess

#3 FiFiLicious

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:24 PM

I only wanted to reply to say, I used to hyland dance as was born in Scotland! I had no idea it had become a thing here!
Good luck, hope your DD enjoys herself. I loved it!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• ek-toysales-thumb

Best buys of the 2014 toy sales

We have rounded up some of the best from this year's half yearly toy sales from the big stores around Australia.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.