SKII: Anyone using it? Is it really worth the $$$

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 42n8

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:50 AM

Just after a few reviews from any ladies using the SKII range of skincare.

I'm getting older and have definitely noticed my skin ageing in the last year or so (especially) so I think my current skincare regime just isnt cutting it anymore.

For my age, I have good skin and have always taken care of it but, let's face it, you cant fight time forever and I'm definitely seeing fine lines and wrinkles around my eyes, forehead and mouth that I need to bring out the big guns of skincare to combat now.

I hear so many women raving about SKII but have held back til now purely because of the price of it. I'm a SAHM now so dont want, nor do I have the cashflow anymore, to shell out hundreds of dollars on a skincare range that doesnt meet up to the hype/expectation.

I dont want to name or shame other products but I've tried a lot of brands, some with better results than others and my experience has taught me that for the majority of them, you do get what you pay for which is why I'm contemplating the switch from the budget priced range I'm using now to SKII.

Oh, and I already regularly use rosehip oil.

So,

What SKII products do you recommend? And, do they work? Are they really worth the money? Or, have you tried SKII but found better results from something else?

Once I find a new skincare range I'm happy with, I think my next step is to save up for fillers but that's purely because I'm totally having an anxiety attack over turning 40 this year. Gulp!

TIA

#2 sāta kōrsa

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:55 AM

Sorry I haven't tried it so I can't help you but I'll be watching any replies with interest.  I've tried looking at 'productreview.com.au' website but none of the SKII products have been reviewed yet unfortunately.

#3 LeggyBlonde

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:01 PM

makeupalley is a website with reviews of SK-II and MANY other brands of skincare and cosmetics...

#4 asdf89

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:03 PM

I'll be watching this too... I was interested in this skincare but couldn't find ingredient lists online (as there is a common preservative I react to).

If it's really that good, it'll motivate me to go into Myer and read the fine print Tounge1.gif

#5 FeralMalinki

I tried it and was seriously underwhelmed.  It didn't make my skin any worse, but it didn't make it much better either.

There's a number of brands I'd buy before it.  

FWIW, I recently changed to ASAP and I'm loving the results.

#6 Batmansunderpants

I used to use it when I could afford it! I definitely noticed it appeared to improve the skin around my eyes. I loved all the products I used which was the face wash, toner, moisturiser and eye cream.

I have sensitive skin and it made my skin lovely and didn't clog my pores.

#7 42n8

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:30 PM

Thank you all for your responses.

LB: I have checked out the review website you recommended and I think I'll bite the bullet and try it.  A lot of reviewers mentioned sample sizes to begin with so I'll see if I can track them down for starters.

DH will probably have a stroke if I convert the whole-hog straight away but, if it works, it's cheaper than surgery.

Thanks all for your replies.

#8 Angelina Ballerina

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:28 PM

Here's a link to reviews on Beautypedia
http://www.paulaschoice.com/beautypedia-sk...amp;brand=sk-ii

#9 jessie123

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:38 PM

I think you can get better products cheaper.

Try retin a cream, vitamin c serum. The loreal micro dermabrasion kit is nice and even the old aspirin mask works a treat.

#10 lottie9

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:22 PM

No, I don't think any skincare is worth that much money.

#11 harryboy

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:29 PM

DJ's has a makeup and skincare promo twice a year around March and September and there is usually a SKII offer in that,

#12 Jellyblush

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:30 PM

I'll be watching too.

I'm not far from your age, and this year I started regular microdermabrasions with oxygen. I get a course of 6 for $400 (special) in Melbourne and they have made a much bigger difference than any skincare I've ever tried.

Sothy's are a brand that are also very good.

#13 envs

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:42 PM

There is a trial kit which includes cleanser, pre-treatment lotion, moisturiser and something else. It didn't provide any miracles for me, but I'm still in my 30's so maybe it will be more dramatic the older you get?

If you are trying to conceive, or pregnant, it is best to avoid any retinoids.

I tried microdermabrasion for the first time recently. Didn't provide any visible results, but my skin definitely felt much softer, though will cause pigmentation more easily if you are exposed to sun.

Have tried La Prairie. It's OK. Hope in a Jar is meant to be great. I tried a jar...it's just another moisturiser.

Have also used Medicalia brand (from a beauty spa place). About as exxy as SKII mL for mL, but the stuff really works if you follow the regimen. It's heavy in retinol though so is quite effective but cn make skin very sensitive.

Decisions decisions! Good luck : )

#14 Oilucy

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:03 PM

I tried it about 6 months ago and thought it was a total waste of money - I was very unimpressed.
As far as wrinkles go the best products I have used so far are Sothys and I use them in conjunction with my KORA (Miranda Kerr) products (I use Kora cleanser, mist, moisturiser, mask, eye cream and rosehip oil) and I top up with Sothys moisturiser (night time) and am about to purchase the Sothys eye cream again.
But the thing that has made the biggest change in my skin is my diet (lots of veg) and my diet also now includes the use of a Sillica supplement, coupled with Flaxseed oil in my porridge every day & lots of water.

#15 sammyv

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:25 PM

QUOTE (Jellyblush @ 24/01/2013, 09:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'll be watching too.

I'm not far from your age, and this year I started regular microdermabrasions with oxygen. I get a course of 6 for $400 (special) in Melbourne and they have made a much bigger difference than any skincare I've ever tried.

Sothy's are a brand that are also very good.

Jellyblush - can you tell me where you got that done?

#16 peckingbird

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:43 PM

I do not think it is worth the money.

I get better results using retin-a on alternate days in combo with rosehip oil.

In Australia you need a prescription for retin-a, but you can buy over the counter at pharmacies in France (or online) a product called Avibon without a prescription.  It is 8 euro per tube, one tube lasts about six months.  It's not very glamourous in how it looks and feels (a bit like vaseline actually), but very very good results.  Can't use it whilst TTC/preg/BF however.  And must be very strict about suncare as it can make the skin more sensitive to sunlight.

#17 42n8

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:59 AM

Wow! Thanks ladies for the input.

I tried retinol quite a few years ago when i was in the USA and found it a bit heavy on my skin. I have to agree it did as it claimed but after only a few weeks of use my skin started reacting to it and I had to stop.

I've heard of La Praire before but it doesnt have very good reviews and seems rediculously $$$ to risk trying without some kind of guarantee.

A friend in the US told me to try a product called Oxytokin in conjunction with Skincell #29 but they are only available in the USA not cheap and seem a bit 'suss' when you google it. She swears it's a miracle cure for fine lines and tbh her face is a pretty good advert for it - she looks amazing! She says she's going to send me a sample so will wait and see for myself.

AFM, I think having just turned 40 over the weekend, I'm being a bit sensitive about getting older when in reality my skin is still in very good condition. It's soft a supple. No acne or redness etc. I avoid the sun like the plague and have done so since I was a tween. I have taken care of my skin always and have been regimented about cleansing, toning, exfoliating, moisturising always. Most people are surprised to learn my age and tend to assume i'm in my early 30's which is nice but some of that is from good genes too (My mum still looks younger than she is too).
The thing is, I can see the changes in my skin - especially in the last year or so. I have lost some of the 'glow' people talk about and there are definitely those tiny little lines appearing around my eyes now (that arent just there when I'm tired - but all the time).

The best skincare range I have ever used was Artistry (from Amway) but the lady I used to buy it from isnt in Amway anymore and I'm not signing up to all that BS (and they kept changing the range which I hated) so when that ran out I switched to Dr Lewin's (also good but not to the hype it claims). Then when I had my kids and became a SAHM I went for the more generic ranges (because I couldnt justify the costs on my budget anymore).

I just want a good skincare range, that will keep my skin in good condition, maybe give me back some of that youthful glow and help to flatten out the fine lines around the eyes. And, now I'm 40, I'm selfish enough that I'm willing to pay for something that WILL work.

I wish I lived in the city and could pop-in to DJ's and Myer and have a play with all these wonder-brands, but in the country I'm limited to online so have to risk it by buying before trying.

Hmmm, the dilemma of it all.

#18 earth_99

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:21 AM

OP
Maybe have a look at Paula's Choice Austalia. They're reasonably priced, full of active ingredients, and sell samples online original.gif
That's what I do from my remote home! (And I've tried it all)

#19 VioletPurple

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:13 PM

I have been using SKII since may last year and I am in love with it. I usually have really dry skin but since using it my skin is soft and beautiful.

I can clearly see the difference it makes to my skin, my pores are much smaller and I don't even get hormonal outbreaks anymore. Its amazing.

Prior to using this I had tried Elemis (sorry not sure of spelling) Kora made my skin dry out, Sothys which was ok but I still had outbreaks, Ella Bache.

I buy the promotional packs the which last me three months

I use the
cleanser
lotion
essence
stem power or Olay total effects

ANd when I have a wedding or event I use the masks I think it was a 6 pack I open the mask and use it and over the next few days I use the serum thats in the packet on my face every night to get the value out of it.

http://www.adorebeauty.com.au/sk-ii/sk-ii-...regime-set.html
http://www.adorebeauty.com.au/sk-ii/sk-ii-...ence-set-1.html
http://www.adorebeauty.com.au/sk-ii/sk-ii-...as-edition.html

I should also add that I never told anyone I was using this but all of a sudden people kept commenting on how amazing my skin looks and wanted to know how I got it like this (so now I boast about SKII).

The best thing was last time I went to the beauty therapist to have my brows done she said to me OMG your skin is amazing. For me that says it all.

#20 Clever bunny

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:26 PM

QUOTE (Angelina Ballerina @ 23/01/2013, 05:28 PM)
15264283[/url]']
Here's a link to reviews on Beautypedia
http://www.paulaschoice.com/beautypedia-sk...amp;brand=sk-ii

I was going to link Paula's choice, I don't buy anything without reading her reviews. From memory, there are no impressive active ingredients in SKII to warrant the price tag. I  dreamt of waking up looking like Cate Blanchette inallthe SKII ads but Paula talked me out of it. I used The Paula's Choice range for acne and it really did get everything under control and meant I could avoid a second round of Roaccutane. I now use her Anti- aging alpha hydroxy range and love it.
The other range I am looking into is AlphaH Liquid Gold. The adore beauty website has a trial pack for under $100 and I'm going to try that because buying from the Paula's Choice site leads to big shopping  costs from the US.

#21 credence

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:23 PM

Not worth it. I spent quite a bit of money on it and I can't notice it doing anything special. In fact I think it makes me break out a bit. I get better results with rosehip oil and garnier BB Cream.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• winter-school-holiday-guide

School holiday guide

Here is what's on around Australia in your state. From ice skating to music theatre classes there is something to suit every child and every budget.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• ek-toysales-thumb

Best buys of the 2014 toy sales

We have rounded up some of the best from this year's half yearly toy sales from the big stores around Australia.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.