electoral register question

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 melandned

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:03 PM

hi all
hoping there are some genealogy buffs out there that can help me

i am looking for my female relative
i have her address correct in 1923 as it is on a birth certificate, assume it is her parents house
trouble is, that address is absent from electoral registers til 1929
the address is 112 newark street, and from 1924-28 (which is all i have searched so far) the street stops at 110! grrr

it appears in 1929 with just her name

i know people weren't on the rolls til age 21 but i would assume she would be living with her parents in the earlier years so the address would still be there
or maybe the boundaries moved but it's weird that the birth certificate says the address in 1923 and then it comes onto the registers in 1929

any ideas? i'm quite new to this so just have no idea
thanks heaps
mel

#2 noi'mnot

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:11 PM

I don't know much about these things, but is it possible that the address was recorded incorrectly? Are you certain of the suburb? Is it possible that they lived at 110 and 112 was accidentally written?

Why exactly do you need the address details?

Sorry if these are silly/useless questions, feel free to ignore if you want. original.gif

#3 toosenuf

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:04 PM

could her birth cert have been registerd after 1929, hence the address that existed only after 1929.

also maybe before 1929, the address may have been know as 112 locally but not officially recognised until after 1929

#4 qak

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:18 PM

Maybe her parents were registered at a different address?

I am not clear why you need her address back then either ... wouldn't the most recent address be more pertinent if you are looking for her?

#5 melandned

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:44 PM

noi'mnot - not stupid at all  original.gif  nah i checked 110 and there are no names i recognise there unfortunately

i want the addy details so i can look up other members of her family and try to put the records together - my grandma was illegimate i assume as she was left on the steps of a church so it's really hard finding details

toosenuf - birth certificate is my grandmas so i know she and her mother lived there (that's how i found out the addy in the first place)
hmm maybe you're right re 112 not recognised locally but as it's official on the certificate i assume it was a proper addy

qak- i'm assuming my great grandmother was fairly young when she had my grandmother (hence the illegetimacy and the adopting out) so i would assume she lived with her parents (lots of assuming i know LOL)
she disappears from her 112 newark addy and i do have a more recent addy (well 1950's one anyway) but want to try and fill in pieces, it's just bugging me that i can't find the addy in the electoral records

#6 oneboy

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:41 PM

Hi, you could check the address using a copy of the relevant Sands Directory for the suburb your relative lived in.  These were listings done annually from about the mid-late 1800s through to about 1933.  The listing gives the occupant's name at the address.  It is a very useful way of matching people to addresses in the genealogical hunt.

If you have an ancestry.com subscription, you'll be able to search it on that site or your local library may have the relevant Directory on microfiche for you to flick through or you may be able to access
ancestry.com if the library has an online subscription.  

Hope this helps.

#7 Jane Jetson

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:48 PM

Could there be a mixup between the street number and the lot number?

#8 mez70

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:31 PM

Also there could be some um"deliberate mistakes" in the details listed etc eg same street wrong number etc. Back in those days children out of wedlock was a huge  NO NO, so often the details listed changed slightly so that the "mistake" for want of a better word could not come back and haunt them. I know when researching our family tree we had a huge stumbling block that we could not find A. B ... Last name, therefore the trail ran cold.. My relative grew up as part of an adoptive family and knew none of her blood family. However another very distant family member had done research and spoken to family members who knew the story were able to verify and pass on to us that A. B. Last name was in fact B.A last name.. There had been a few instances through that branch of the family tree where spellings of names or first and second names had been switched around and in those days it was very easy to do, not like today

So if a person was wanting not to be found and live at number 1 - 12 XYZ street then listing their addy as 112 XYZ street was a very easy way of throwing people of the scent.

#9 melandned

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:17 AM

thank you oneboy i do have a subs so that will be good to check
i dont think there is a mix up as they're all official electoral records
mez - hmm interesting, it's such a puzzle!

thanks all

#10 melandned

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:19 AM

oh bugger, the sands seems to be aust only

#11 oneboy

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:22 AM

Hi, I just assumed it was a NSW address you were after.  What country are you searching?

#12 melandned

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:03 AM

uk - and unfortunately the adoption agency where she was, was bombed
i have found a few bits and pieces - the address and electoral rolls are really helpful as they tell relatives staying with them but i'm not sure if relos are sisters or mothers (maiden name)

#13 Percoriel

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:26 AM

Not every year's roll is on line which makes it a PITA.

Have you tried the forums on Ancestry? There are some amazing researchers on there that will be able to help you.

#14 toosenuf

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:41 AM

have you asked to local family history society or historical society?  they may know something?

#15 melandned

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:17 PM

thanks guys yes i will try both of those

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.