What's your eBay winning strategy?
Buying items for auction

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 LifesGood

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:33 PM

How do you make sure you win an item you want without overspending?

For that matter, what are your tips for ensuring an item you have listed sells, and for the highest possible price?

#2 PatG

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:46 PM

QUOTE (LifesGood @ 23/01/2013, 06:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Decide exactly how much you are willing spend (taking into account postage) and only bid that amount and know that you may not win it.  If you are in the habit of getting caught up in the bidding or getting overly attached to an item and therefore bidding too much just bid once and let the automatic system do the work for you and do not check the item until after the auction finish time.

QUOTE (LifesGood @ 23/01/2013, 06:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
For that matter, what are your tips for ensuring an item you have listed sells, and for the highest possible price?

Have it listed in the appropriate category with no typos (so it can be searched for easily), a detailed, clear and accurate description and very good photos.  Ensure your location details are correct.  Make sure you respond to queries promptly.

#3 Luxe

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:49 PM

Place the highest bid I'm willing to make 5 seconds before the auction ends so there's not enough time for someone elses auto bid to take effect.
dev (6).gif

Edited by Luxe, 23 January 2013 - 06:50 PM.

#4 LifesGood

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:55 PM

QUOTE (Luxe @ 23/01/2013, 07:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Place the highest bid I'm willing to make 5 seconds before the auction ends so there's not enough time for someone elses auto bid to take effect.
dev (6).gif

Really? I thought auto bids were....automatic. Don't they register the autobids in advance?

#5 PatG

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:56 PM

QUOTE (Luxe @ 23/01/2013, 06:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
dev (6).gif

People who have sniper software set up will beat you.  Or if their auto bid was placed earlier than yours then they win.  e.g. if they put in a max bid of $26 at 10am and you put in your max bid of $26 at 10:30 and the action finishes at 10:35am then they win and you lose.

#6 MoonPie

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:57 PM

I search for the items in the category I am looking for that are ending soonest. Except I do it at 4am when no one else is up original.gif

#7 Ice Queen

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:03 PM

QUOTE (Luxe @ 23/01/2013, 05:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
dev (6).gif

Yes, but there are autobids.  The trick is to pick an 'odd' amount.  People generally bid rounded amounts ie. $10.50 or $45.00.  If autobids are in $5 increments, well you bid $5.10 more so it overrides the highest autobid.  You do a test to see if autobids are there about 1min before the end of the auction and then you do you final guess about 10secs before the end.  It is hard to explain but I was the MASTER of it!  I never lost an auction.  You need to guess what people will bid and bid slightly above it.

As for listing, here are a few rules to stick to:

Selling prices are highest on a Sunday night so you need to list so your auction ends on a Sunday night.  So 10 day auction, list it on a Thursday evening, for a 7 day auction, list on a Sunday evening.  That way you dont pay extra to choose a listing time.  The longer your auction, the better the prices are generally.

It is all in your title.  People seach by keywords so you need a keyword in your title.  Brandnames work brilliantly.  Include as much description as you can fit in that title.

Good photo of course.  

Hope that helps.

#8 Georgette47

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:06 PM

I bid in the last 15 secs or less too, but I do it so that anyone I outbid doesn't have time to react and increase their top bid.

#9 Luxe

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:09 PM

QUOTE (LifesGood @ 23/01/2013, 07:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Really? I thought auto bids were....automatic. Don't they register the autobids in advance?

Yes. But my bid amount is the highest auto bid I'm willing to pay. So my auto bid pairs off against their auto bid in the last 1-2 seconds of an auction. I have no idea how fast the logic takes to out bid mine, but I've won every auction I've used this strategy on so far.

#10 IsolaBella

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:10 PM

Another last second bidder. Bid an odd amount with cents like PP. also usually test the waters with a single bid at 1-5mins to go. Final bid will be the maximum I am prepared to pay. S if I get out bid on someone else's earlier larger bid well that is life.

#11 Feral timtam

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:18 PM

I put in one bid and that is the absolute maximum I am prepared to spend on an item. If it's something I really, really want I make sure that bid is higher than what anybody doesn't want it more than I do is prepared to pay.

You don't automatically pay what you've put down as your maximum bid, if you are the only bidder and the minimum bid listing is $20 under what you've bid you only pay the minimum listing price and not what you've actually bid.

#12 LifesGood

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:18 PM

QUOTE (Ehill @ 23/01/2013, 08:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You do a test to see if autobids are there about 1min before the end of the auction and then you do you final guess about 10secs before the end.

QUOTE (lsolaBella @ 23/01/2013, 08:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
also usually test the waters with a single bid at 1-5mins to go.

What is the purpose of a 'test' bid?

#13 Feralishous

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:31 PM

QUOTE (PatG @ 23/01/2013, 04:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
People who have sniper software set up will beat you.  Or if their auto bid was placed earlier than yours then they win.  e.g. if they put in a max bid of $26 at 10am and you put in your max bid of $26 at 10:30 and the action finishes at 10:35am then they win and you lose.

I use sniper software and its stops me overspending

#14 SlinkyMalinki

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:34 PM

I tend to search for things with 'buy it now' on Ebay more than auctions now.

#15 IsolaBella

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:42 PM

The test bid is to see if current highest bidder bid a larger amount

#16 tick

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:45 PM

I use auctionsniper.com if I can't do last second bidding myself. I also prefer buy it now these days though. For selling I would say always start bidding at 99 cents, even if it's really valuable. You will generate so much more interest and sell for much more than if you had set the start price close to actual value. Listing is cheaper this way also. Sunday night is definitely the time to end auctions although baby items I find do equally well no matter what time or day they end ....

#17 bailee

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:46 PM

For buying, I always do a last minute bid with my maximum. I usually wait ill about 20 secs to go so by the time its all processed there's about 1 sec to go. I find if you put your max bid in early you will almost always get outbid. I also check the completed items to see what the average price the item I want sells for, then I know roughly what the max is. And yes, I do odd bids too, eg $5.16.

For selling, I find that you make the most when you sell a lot of similar items and group them together. So if you are selling kids clothes list them one after the other and on the same night or two nights in a row. Then if you have other items, say DVDs list them together one after the other - makes looking at your items easier for buyers.  People like to combine postage so will bid on a couple of your items if they are similar and a few bidders doing that creates demand. Also be nice to your buyers. Sellers who dont take time answering questions politely dont get my bids.

#18 Ice Queen

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:55 PM

QUOTE (lsolaBella @ 23/01/2013, 06:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The test bid is to see if current highest bidder bid a larger amount

Exactly.  The auction might go in increments of $5 bids.  Lets say current max bid is $25, you have no idea if that bidder actually has a max bid put in of perhaps $35 so a min before the end, you do a test for $30, of you are immediately outbid then you know autobids are in there.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• ek-smiggle-driver-thumb

Smiggle is painting the town red!

We have 3 Red Smiggle prize packs to give away! Enter by posting a photo of something red to your Instagram.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.