Oh no, my 8yo is getting her period!
How can I make this easier for her?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 yellowtulips74

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:47 PM

Hi everyone
My daughter (8 and a half) appears to be getting her first period.

I was (sort of) expecting this and we'd discussed it recently so it isn't a huge shock for her, but I'm wondering how best to help her through this!!

Does anyone have any ideas?  Ideas for how to practically manage the hygiene stuff with an 8 year old, any products which people have found particularly useful (or particularly child-friendly), etc?

All words of wisdom will be very welcome!

#2 Apageintime

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:13 PM

Libra hearts pads are specifically for smaller bodies, but maybe get her lots of samples so she can try.
Also get her a cute little pencil case to keep spare pads in, as well as extra pairs of little lycra shorts for extra leakage protection when she has her period.

Make sure the school knows and can provide her adequate pain relief (ie nutofen not panadol).

#3 jks91

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:17 PM

On the topic of school I would ask whether the toilets closest to her classroom or that she was required to use have sanitary disposal units.  I recall being in primary school and only one single cubicle in the whole school (accessible to students) having a disposal unit.

As a PP said get loads of samples.  And take her to pick a special pencil case for necessities, even now I have a Forever New one in my handbag with pads/liners/tampons/nurofen etc.

#4 IsolaBella

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:19 PM

Not anywhere near that but I bookmarked something for the future from another EBer

http://www.buddiesunderwear.com.au/

Pants for no leaks

#5 bluecardigans

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:24 PM

QUOTE (lsolaBella @ 23/01/2013, 08:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not anywhere near that but I bookmarked something for the future from another EBer

http://www.buddiesunderwear.com.au/

Pants for no leaks

Awesome. I wish these were around when we were kids. What a great idea. .

#6 Juki

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:26 PM

Only when I got older I found tracking to be helpful to predict when it is going to happen, I use an app, maybe you could get one just for her to use on your phone etc i use one called Pinkpad
Don't be afraid of explaining all of the options for her, i couldn't think of anything worse than having Swimming in PE and not knowing about tampons. Even if she doesn't want to use them straight away, at least she will know about them.
Umm other than that, make sure she knows where they are kept at the shops and maybe get her the little bags to dispose of the stuff.

#7 FuzzyMum

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:43 PM

Hi OP

I can fully empathise with you. My DD was early as well. The suggestions of other pps are really great. I also went and met with her teacher and also wrote a note to the female teacher on her grade to ask if my DD had questions that she only wanted to speak to a female teacher about if she could act in that capacity and just to help support her through it.

I did show my DD a diagram to help explain what was happening and with tampons, I went through what they were and showed her how they work by dropping one into a glass of water.

Lots of hands on, get her to practice using the pad and go through the ways to dispose of them after use. Also ensure that she has plenty of supplies in a small case in her bag - large enough for a clean pair of undies and the pads.

Just being matter of fact about it and open to questions worked really well with my DD and she coped very well.

#8 anabh

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:20 PM

When my daughter got her first period, it wasnt like a real period and then there was nothing for months! It is so unfair when they start menstruating so young!

#9 yellowtulips74

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:38 PM

Thank you so much everyone!  All brilliant suggestions.

I really appreciate your help.

Oh, and I also wish those bike shorts were available when we were kids.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• ek-toysales-thumb

Best buys of the 2014 toy sales

We have rounded up some of the best from this year's half yearly toy sales from the big stores around Australia.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.