Remake versions of your favourite movie

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Ireckon

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:42 PM

So I have bitten the bullet and am settling in to watch the remake of Pride and Prejudice, the version with Keira Knightley. I LoVe the BbC version with Colin Firth. I think I am going in to this quite prejudice anyways......

Do you ever enjoy the remake better thañ the original?

#2 mez70

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:46 PM

I don't think I "enjoy" them any better than the other but I am more critical so if I like the remake then it has done a good job if that makes sense. Miracle on 34th street was one that I liked how they prooved who KK was in a different and unexpected way but that also made sense. I do have a favorite version of Little Women as well.

#3 Littleone84

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:58 PM

I hated the remake of Footloose.

#4 Lucrezia Borgia

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:59 PM

Loved the remake of Little Women.....

#5 PurpleNess

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:02 PM

I refuse to watch the remake of Footloose - no one can do Ren like The Bacon, I still swoon for that man ....

Just leave well enough alone I say. Hate remakes, pointless money grabbing exercises...that is all

#6 PrincessPeach

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:15 PM

It depends.

Little Women was lovely & i actually prefer the remake.

However two stand out to me at the other end of the scale:

"Shall we Dance"  & "Death at a Funeral".

The remake of Shall we Dance made it loose all of the original meaning of the film.

And death at a funeral being remade 3 years later by an american film company??? I don't understand why.

#7 FeralBob!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:17 PM

The original of The Vanishing was a powerful movie whose full horror was only revealed in the final scene.

The US remake had a happy ending *splutter, splutter*

#8 ~Nodnol~

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:23 PM

The American Death at a Funeral was terrible. We like to pretend it never happened.

Also, Footloose. Just no. Why mess with the Bacon perfection?

#9 opethmum

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:24 PM

I loved the Keira Knightley version as much as the series done by the BBC but they both have their merits, Keira Knightley's version is great and really sets what Jane Austen's times were really like and I like the smooth flow of the story line.
But the Series explores much in detail about the book and stays true and we really get into the nuts and bolts about the characters and the real social perils of the day.

I agree that there are remake horrors like Footloose, I love Kevin Bacon in that. I really hate how they are butchering well loved things and trying to make money off it.

I think that Hollywood needs new ideas and new story lines  and not to be afraid of hiring writers and directors who have a different visions. I think that they are in the creative drought and I think that more and more people are open to the idea of having new stories. I think Studio owners are frugal and more concerned with money than developing and endorsing new talent and fostering creativity.

#10 Littleone84

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:25 PM

Arent they also doing a remake of Dirty Dancing...that too would just be disasterous.

#11 71Cath

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:29 PM

QUOTE (Littleone84 @ 24/01/2013, 02:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Arent they also doing a remake of Dirty Dancing...that too would just be disasterous.

ddoh.gif Why????

#12 PixieVee

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:32 PM

I don't really consider books being made in to movies more than once to be remakes though. They're not 'remaking' the show/movie, they're making a movie of a book.

#13 ~Nodnol~

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:33 PM

The Dirty Dancing remake has been pushed back until at least 2014. I hope it never sees the light of day.

#14 Cath-In-SA

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:38 PM

At least Kenny Ortega was in for directing the remake of Dirty Dancing - he was the original choregrapher(sp?).

However, I hope, if it does get made, he doesn't Disneyfy it given his most recent/famous experience is in the HSM fanchise.

I agree though, I hope it never gets made.

#15 Feral Madam Mim

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:40 PM

QUOTE (Littleone84 @ 24/01/2013, 11:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I know, you can't get any better than Patrick Swayze.

The only remake coming to mind right now that was better than the original is Fright Night, I loved the new one with Colin Farrell.

I can't speak for the remake of Death At A Funeral, I refused to watch the remake

The remake of Total Recall was pathetic, it would have been good as a stand alone film, but as a remake it sucked.

#16 F1widow

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:23 PM

If they remake Dirty Dancing I may kill someone. Patrick Swayze is a god in that movie and Jennifer Grey pre-nose job was so beautiful! And it's all about the music, what would they do with the soundtrack? Nuh-uh! :snooty:

Clash of the Titans was truly awful.

You can't really call P&P a 'remake' because technically its an adaptation of an existing work (a book) so a discussion about the movie vs the series is not the same as a remake. Both versions have pros and cons.

Haven't seen Total Recall but I was hoping the remake would be ok.

I also refused to watch the Death at a Funeral remake. The original was just so perfect, I knew the Americanised version would spoil it.

The Ring and The Ring 2, I saw the American versions first before going back to watch the Japanese. Again, I feel both have merit but because I saw the American version first its kind of my preferred. Also I love Naomi Watts and that sexy Aussie guy from Sweat.

#17 HOPE6

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:44 PM

Cant wait to see the Great Gatsby remake thou, hope I am not disappointed!! ohmy.gif

#18 Scootaloo

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:49 PM

QUOTE (HOPE6 @ 25/01/2013, 07:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Cant wait to see the Great Gatsby remake thou, hope I am not disappointed!! ohmy.gif

Me too, hanging out for it, it looks to be good from what I have seen so far.

Jen

#19 Lucrezia Borgia

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:53 PM

QUOTE (HOPE6 @ 25/01/2013, 07:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Me three love LOVE the book and the first movie was pretty good....

#20 TenYears

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:01 PM

I don't really consider books being made in to movies more than once to be remakes though. They're not 'remaking' the show/movie, they're making a movie of a book.

I think of them more as reinterpretations, and think there's definitely room for them.

I'm mostly of the opinion that you don't touch a classic.  If they remade Alien, I probably would watch it, but they would probably ruin it (because it is still pretty much perfect).  Whereas a reboot of Dirty Dancing makes absoluely no sense at all.  What next?  The Breakfast Club?  The Sound of Music?  Casablanca?

#21 Froger

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:25 PM

Your OP reminded me of a hilarious Bollywood version of Pride and Prejudice, called "Bride and Prejudice". As you obviously know well the storyline of the original, you may very well enjoy the Bollywood version (as knowing the orginal adds to the enjoyment). It is a reasonably well known film and therefore quite easy to get, staring Aishwarya Rai Bachan. It is mostly in English. Nitin Ganatra is a fabulous Mr Collins as well.

#22 Lucrezia Borgia

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:34 PM

Clueless is a remake of Jane Austens Emma......quite cleverly done I think!

#23 Scootaloo

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:08 PM

QUOTE (Lucretia Borgia @ 25/01/2013, 09:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Clueless is a remake of Jane Austens Emma......quite cleverly done I think!

Oh yes, and 10 things i hate about you is Taming of the Shrew.

jen

#24 kadoodle

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:15 PM

I have heard vile rumors of a new attempt at "To Kill a Mockingbird".  No.  Just no.

#25 The 7 Dwarfs

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:20 PM

I enjoyed both versions of pride and prejudice equally, and I also love Bride and Prejudice as well. I like most of the versions of Jane Austen's books.

I'm also a fan of Star Trek and enjoyed the remake of that much better than the a lot of the originals.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• Essential-Kids_Snow-Queen-Promotion-tile

Win a Fairytale experience

To celebrate the DVD release of The Snow Queen, we are offering one lucky child and their guardian the chance to experience what it would be like to live in an enchanted fairytale.

• ebk-canonD30-thumb

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.