Another question about periods
Also recommend me a book.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 KAS

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:21 AM

Hi all,
DD is almost 9 and very tall for her age (She is in size 14 clothes). I have a well meaning friend (who only has boys) who keeps telling me that DD will get her period soon due to her height.

I didn't think this was a big factor in when menstruation starts but what do you think?
There are not really many other development signs, although I did notice a pimple on her nose today and her breasts do seem to have grown a bit but they are not what I would call buds and are not painful at all. Further even though she is tall, she has only lost 5 baby teeth, where as most of her friends have lost lots more by this age. Does any of this factor in to when she could be expected to start menstruation?

So what signs did you notice before your DD's first period?

Also, what books would you recommend to read together.
Thanks.

#2 handsfull

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:57 AM

On these holidays we just did "Hair in strange places", got it from the library. Really cute book with loads of pictures and funny.

It took two readings before they realised it would happen to them, then the tears started....

However we went away and as soon as we came back DD2 went in and found the book and went straight to the page about periods and how often and how much blood.  Said see it says only a small amount of blood and only once a month.

DD1 who ended up being quite hysterical at the reading actually had a conversation with my mother last week at the shops and actually brought up the subject and was rational and very matter of fact.

In terms of her development it really is very individual.  My DDs are very tall for their age, have a thyroid condition and have just started to get hair down there, a little.....  Their paediatrician who I will see tomorrow said to me last visit that when they get breast buds its normally about a year later, they also start to get a discharge and that signals about 3-6 months.  But all children are different.

My girls have no breast buds, tiny hair and have lost 11-12 baby teeth.  DD1 started to lose hers at 4 but that was due to her thyroid condition were the teeth were right underneath ready to come through.

They do seem to be getting them a bit earlier than when we did but you can't stop it.  

GL

Edited by handsfull, 24 January 2013 - 08:02 AM.

#3 JustBeige

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:11 AM

http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Care-Keepi...r/9781562476663

This is tthe book I got for DD.  It is awesome as it details not only theit body but mood swings; peer pressure; hygiene; eating right etc etc.   DD was about 8/9 when we got it for her and its well thumbed.

#4 KAS

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:37 PM

Thank you.
Will look into both books.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• ek-toysales-thumb

Best buys of the 2014 toy sales

We have rounded up some of the best from this year's half yearly toy sales from the big stores around Australia.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.