Fondant HELP!
Damn you rainy humid weather!

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 frogneek

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:44 AM

Hi ladies,
Desperately seeking advice!!
I make fondant toppers for $$ on the side and have just finished my daughters 1 st birthday toppers- all made with fondant and added tylose powder (cmc) this rainy weather we are having in qld has made everything that was once hard, now soft and sticky!! I'm having a freak out - have a cake due in a week and the toppers are soft :-/ help help help! What do I do?????

Have tried air con room, and the oven light trick- and I really don't want to fork out big $$ on a dehumidifier.
Is there something I can do?
Any replys would be helpful!

#2 MiSS_E

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:21 PM

Bicarb absorbs moisture. You could try bicarb in a container with a rack over it, fondant on the rack. Lid on.

#3 kirstyannb

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:56 PM

the oven didn't work? That's a worry
What sort of aircon?

What brand of fondant?

Add more tylose
Buy some closet hippo's

#4 julz78

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:06 PM

Put them in the fridge? I am only a noob with fondant but I made my son's cake topper several days before his birthday and was having similar problems with the horrible heat and humidity here. Once kept in the fridge it was the fondant was hard and perfect.

#5 Feral Grey Mare

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:11 PM

Eat them and make new ones closer to the day?

#6 AnotherFeral

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:41 PM

What about Miss_E's idea but with raw rice instead of bicarb?

#7 CupcakeMumma

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:12 PM

I've used a heat lamp when desperate

#8 harryhoo

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:16 PM

Cornflour.... put it in a stocking or similar and dab it to soak up the moisture. Don't put it in the fridge.

#9 ljamd

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:21 PM

Fridge is your worst enemy! It will sweat.

#10 ljamd

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:21 PM

Fridge is your worst enemy! It will sweat.

#11 frogneek

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:02 PM

Thanks everyone!
Crisis averted for now- kristyannb we have split systems and I use my suppliers own brand, that I've never had a problem with, I guess with all the floods and rain etc- that's what's caused it!
I put them under a bedside lamp, and turned the ac right down.
And i bought hippos today. :-) Thanks again everyone!!

#12 kirstyannb

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:09 PM

I ask about air con because refrig cooling can help but evap cooling will add to or even be the source of your problem. Not sure what category split systems fall into?
Glad to hear all is good now original.gif

#13 AnotherFeral

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:26 PM

Split systems are usually refrigerated, aren't they?

#14 frogneek

Posted 26 January 2013 - 11:22 AM

Kristy- how much tylose should I be adding to say 500g?? I keep thinking I'm adding too much?!

#15 kirstyannb

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:32 AM

I think its 2 teaspoons to 500g. Except I don't mix up game paste in advance any more.

I just sprinkle a little on the paste as I use until it feels right, You'll find you need more in a colour like black or red then white. I might make up a bit if I knew it was going to be used it fairly soon (few days, week) otherwise I found I would go to use it for the next cake and it would be to dry and had to be thrown away.

If I was going to make a batch I'd say do 250 g.

The other thing your could try if you are still having problems is flower paste. I know some decorators prefer flower paste even for modelling but they can vary between brands / recipes

#16 frogneek

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:27 AM

I loose my cool trying to do black or red so I buy it pre- coloured. I just use the tylose by feel, generally a pinch or 2. Haven't tryed flower paste yet, I was told its really not very nice tasting?

#17 kirstyannb

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:04 PM

I use the precoloured too but I find it usually needs a little more tylose added to it then white.

There are different recipes for flower paste so I imagine they vary in taste, I use a simple recipe using pettince. I don't eat it but the kids have never complained

#18 kirstyannb

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:40 PM

Here is a recipe I have just come across. Haven't tried it but it's meant to be humid conditions

Gum paste recipe

#19 frogneek

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:07 PM

Thanks kristy :-)

#20 Awesome101

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:24 PM

I've just done a wedding cake in this heat and humidity.

Gum paste with a little extra tylose added. Kneaded well to avoid cracking + air con room and closed windows to keep the moisture from the rain out. I kept my figures in a bowl of flour to keep shape while they dried as it can take longer in this weather- just dusted the figures off with a soft paint brush. Once fully dried store them in an airtight container with one of those moisture absorbing sachets. You know the ones they put in pill bottles or shoe boxes?

Avoid putting them on the cake until the very end and keep the cake in air con if you can while it has the decorations on it otherwise the moisture from the icing will soften them and make the figures sticky.

A week should be fine to get them dry, mine only took about 2 days.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.