Desperate for sleep help!

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Rsgibbo84

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:36 PM

My 16month old daughter has gone from being a perfect sleeper to waking 5-7 times per night. I go in and lay her back down and sometimes she will sleep for another half hour - other times she screams and screams until she is given a bottle. She will then have a few sips and go back to sleep only to repeat this again. I also have a 3yr old boy who is woken up by his sister all night so I am lucky to get 3-4 hours sleep a night between them. I am beside myself and don't know how much longer I can keep this up before I snap. I only work 3 days per week and my work is slipping and is starting to be noticed by the boss!
If anyone can help I will be extremely grateful!!

#2 Lyra

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:39 PM

She is too hot or too cold? Mine always, always woke if they were too cold

#3 Taystee

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:53 PM

how long has it been going on? What happens if you just (*gasp* hehe) give her a bottle straight up?

she might be hungry- she might need more opportunities to snack during the day

or she might be suffering from separation anxiety? in which case I would try to do "camping out"- sitting with her till she falls asleep, and gradually moving your chair/bed further away from her over a couple of weeks.

ETA if it's only been going on for a short time, could she be unwell- ear infection, UTI etc?

Good luck xx Sleep deprivation is awful

Edited by Stan the Fan Man, 24 January 2013 - 07:54 PM.

#4 Rsgibbo84

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:53 PM

QUOTE (Lyra @ 24/01/2013, 08:39 PM)
15267995[/url]']
She is too hot or too cold? Mine always, always woke if they were too cold

That could be possible. It's been so hot here but cooling down through the night. I will keep it in mind and try and adjust. Thanks :-)

#5 SplashingRainbows

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:54 PM

How long has this been going on? Is she teething? Molars?

My little boy had an awful time getting his molars with very disturbed sleep.

If not hot or cold my other suggestion is to make sure she is not overtired. For my son overtiredness resulted in frequent night waking. Perhaps her routine needs to be re-jigged.

#6 Feral-as-Meggs

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:56 PM

My son has done this off and on since he was born - its just him.   We've had gradual improvement due to night weaning, but I've slipped back into BF overnight a few times due to teething, travelling, ear infections etc.  Each time I've cut out the feeds its got a bit better again (1-2 wakes as opposed to 5).  

But if your daughter has only just started doing this I'd be suspecting pain in her ears or teeth.  Can you try a dose of Panadol/Nurofen  before bed and see if it makes a difference. If it does that will give you an answer.

#7 Chelli

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:01 PM

Hi,
I have merged your two threads original.gif I hope you get some sleep soon.

#8 Guest_divineM_*

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:12 PM

Assuming no medic reason this maybe the early onset of the 18 month sleep regression. Google it. If it goes on for too long i would consider sleep school or a sleep nanny. Regressions are only meant to last a few weeks.

#9 Rsgibbo84

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:20 PM

QUOTE (Stan the Fan Man @ 24/01/2013, 08:53 PM)
15268034[/url]']
how long has it been going on? What happens if you just (*gasp* hehe) give her a bottle straight up?

she might be hungry- she might need more opportunities to snack during the day

or she might be suffering from separation anxiety? in which case I would try to do "camping out"- sitting with her till she falls asleep, and gradually moving your chair/bed further away from her over a couple of weeks.

ETA if it's only been going on for a short time, could she be unwell- ear infection, UTI etc?

Good luck xx Sleep deprivation is awful

This has been happening since mid December. She has a bottle at 7 when she goes down and has a good dinner before that so I am doubtful that she is hungry.She had hand foot and mouth when this all started and has just never settled back into her old routine. Thank you for the quick replies. It's nice to know I'm not struggling through this alone :-)

#10 Jjbeanz

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:32 PM

My just 2 yo had HFM a few months back and was so unsettled for a few weeks, the skin on her hands and feet was peeling and she even lost half her toe and finger nails. I think she was just not feeling herself so not sleeping well
Hope she settles down for you soon

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.