Sole Parenting Payment
Update Post #177

• Please log in to reply
178 replies to this topic

#1 bryce's-mummy

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:26 PM

I can't make sense of the Centrelink online calculators- I have tried putting in figures but it's not telling me what I might be able to get on sole parenting payment.

Does anyone know what I may be entitled to get for Sole Parenting payment? I have two kids- 6 and 3.

6 yo at school. I don't have a job yet so no other income.

I pay rent of $280 per week. I have no assets etc.

Please help me work it out!

Edited by bryce's-mummy, 03 February 2013 - 07:56 PM.

#2 lafonda

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:32 PM

Sorry to hear you will be a single parent. I hope things improve for you original.gif

#3 Nanaimo Girl

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:40 PM

I had a play around on the estimators for you. Without taking into account any child support or other income, it is estimating you will be entitled to $1289.45 a fortnight with the details you have provided.

That includes parenting payment single, FTB A and B plus rent assistance. You would also be entitled to a pension card.

#4 bakesgirls

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:41 PM

Did you use this online calculator?

https://secure.centrelink.gov.au/RateEstima...ombinedStart.do

#5 solongsuckers

Parenting Payment - Single
$663.70
Family Tax Benefit Part A
$339.36
Family Tax Benefit Part B
$144.34
Rent Assistance
$141.82

Gross total estimate
$1289.22

That is with no other income for you, no child support and children 100% in your care

#6 hiddensecrets

Without knowing what child support you would get and how often you will have the kids its a bit hard to figure out.

But you would get:

$663.70pf single parenting payment while you are not working

You would also probably get around $140ish in rent assistance.

FTB would depend on how often your ex will have the kids and how much child support he is paying.

#7 Lil Chickens

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:44 PM

^^ Same.

As a PPS customer you would get maximum rate FTBA (unless you get child support over $1927.20pa) and maximum rate FTBA.  Any RA will be paid with FTBA so will be impacted by child support as well.

You might also find this booklet helpful.

#8 Liadan

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:49 PM

If you aren't working, you will get the full rate of 663.70 per fortnight, plus a pharmaceutical allowance of $6.20 per fortnight.

For FTB A&B, they vary based on how much you get for child support, and how many nights per fortnight they are with you.

Dont forget to call all of your utility suppliers to give them the details of your pension card, you SHOULD get a discount.

To get an accurate estimate on FTB A&B (and rent assistance, as it is paid through family assistance office if you receive parenting payment), you'll need to know your husbands (ex-husband?) income for last year. Without knowing that, it's hard to tell exactly how much you'll get.

Good luck  bbighug.gif

#9 Lil Chickens

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:53 PM

QUOTE (Liadan @ 24/01/2013, 11:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
To get an accurate estimate on FTB A&B (and rent assistance, as it is paid through family assistance office if you receive parenting payment), you'll need to know your husbands (ex-husband?) income for last year. Without knowing that, it's hard to tell exactly how much you'll get.

Ex partnes income is irrelevant to FTB rate from the date of separation.  When payments are reconciled at the end of the financial year 1/7/12 to date of separation will be assessed against cus and ex-ptr annual income.  From date of separation to 30/6/13 (unless OP repartners before EOFY) will be based solely on cus being single.

And if OP is entitled to PPS then the only thing that can reduced her FTBA is child support.  And nothing can reduce FTBB - max rate is payable to single customers.

Edited for typo and to fix quote.

Edited by Lil Chickens, 24 January 2013 - 10:54 PM.

#10 bryce's-mummy

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:24 PM

Okay thanks. Kids would be in my care almost 100%. Not sure how much CS he would pay- his income last year was about $38,000 inc overtime. Otherwise his pay is about $34,000 per year. I don't know what I'm going to do. I have been looking for work for months. Right now I have just completed an application with selectrion criteria that has taken me more than 3 hours to write! I need to get a job asap. Other than selling my car ($100 a week loan through a friend with minimal interest) and catching a bus to school (8km) and trying to reduce my $200 per week shopping budget, I don't know what to do. Here is my list:
Rent- $280 p/w (going up to $300 in a couple of months)
Groceries $200 p/w (includes all 7 meals of the week plus school snacks, bread and milk, all fruit and veges)
car loan- $100 per week (another 2 years to pay off)- the car isn't worth much more than what we owe on the loan- it wasn't a loan just for the car it was also for other things like fixing my computer when it broke down.
petrol- $20 per week
DS's schooling- $35 per week (choice to go private due to his behaviour and lack of good public schools in our area)
Gym membership (my only sanity)- $17 p/w. Might have to give this up sad.gif
But still only leaves me with $15 per week to pay bills, buy clothes, and other expenses. And when my rent goes up I'll be minus $5 pe week! OMG I'm freaking out sad.gif Also forgot my mobile phone which is $10 per week.

Edited by bryce's-mummy, 24 January 2013 - 11:28 PM.

#11 ~THE~MAGICIAN~

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:42 PM

I'm sorry you are in this situation Lorraine.

$200 a week for all groceries sounds like an awful lot. Check out the thread in recipes "could you live on $90 a week" some great tips in there.

Gym membership would go in a flash. Walking is free, Get out and talk to the neighbours while walking.

Sorry, but there is no way I would be going private with schooling. You really really can't afford it.

#12 EssentialBludger

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:46 PM

Gym would have to go. I think private school too. It doesn't sound like you have much choice.

Your food bill should go right down for just you and two small kids.

#13 hiddensecrets

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:48 PM

Just out of interest can you reduce your grocery bill?  I have 3 kids (two with special needs), 2 adults, a dog and a cat.  Our groceries are about $250-300 per fortnight including nappies.  There might be ways of reducing it if you are willing to share it with us?

One thing I will say is dont rely on child support.  Some dads are great and pay....but some dont.

#14 bryce's-mummy

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:58 PM

QUOTE (~THE~MAGICIAN~ @ 24/01/2013, 11:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm sorry you are in this situation Lorraine.

$200 a week for all groceries sounds like an awful lot. Check out the thread in recipes "could you live on $90 a week" some great tips in there.

Gym membership would go in a flash. Walking is free, Get out and talk to the neighbours while walking.

Sorry, but there is no way I would be going private with schooling. You really really can't afford it.

I don't have an option with school- I really really don't. I think I would qualify for school card- and I can always go to the principal. ANyone who knows my DS would agree. He has been through so very very much. He has only had one year at school. To change him now would be unthinkable with everything else. I would eat nothing to send him to a decent school.

I have tried reducing my grocery bill. We have a dog (lab) and two cats. We do spend about $30 a week on fruit and veg. I buy homebrand most things and only buy what we need (I have no food in my cupboards at the end of the week). I try and spend $10 and less on each nightly meal. Sometimes I only spend $160-$180. Other times I have spent $220. I don't buy lollies, chips, softdrinks or juice of any kind and I buy in bulk where I can. I never go back during the week (even for bread or milk). Or takeaways. I also buy bulk packs for DS's school lunches (his 'chips' are rice crackers that I put in individual bags). Groceries also includes all misc items too (like last week I needed an extension cord) and very few months I buy a matte powder (the only makeup I wear), over Xmas we had to buy batteries (!) etc. So it's all 'beauty' items, night nappies (no nappies during the day), cleaning products - about $15 per week including laundry powder, soaps and toothpaste etc. I can try and find my last shopping list....

#15 EssentialBludger

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:59 PM

Rent: $300pw
Loan: $100pw
Phone: $10pw
Food: $100pw
Electricity: $30pw
Gas: $20pw
Petrol: $20pw
Internet: ??

Whatever is left over for clothes, shoes, dr's visits, medications, excursions, school supplies etc.

OK, so that's at least $580pw. I think it's doable if you can significantly drop your food bill. I agree that I don't think you can afford private school though.

#16 hiddensecrets

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:07 AM

If you could find a part time course to do you could get the Pensioner Education Supplement which is just over $60 pf if you do more than 50% load....http://www.humanservices.gov.au/customer/enablers/centrelink/pensioner-education-supplement/payment-rates this might help a little

#17 Magenta Ambrosia

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:22 AM

You can also ask the school for a scholarship - they may do part or full.

#18 bryce's-mummy

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:24 AM

Okay it's boring but here it is:

Cleaning/beauty/pet/misc items

Homebrand toilet paper
New mop (mine broke)this was $10 alone
Garbage bags
Multi-purpose cleaner- Cheap brand
Cat biscuits
Canned cat food x 3 cans
Boxes of tissues x2
Homebrand sponges
Batteries AA homebrand
Extension cord 5m-

Fresh items
bread x3
Homebrand milk 2 litres x2 (4 litres)
Homebrand cheese slices
Homebrand icecream (don't normally buy- treat for kids)
Homebrand sour cream
Fritz (don't normally buy-special treat for the kids)
Sliced ham- 250g
Margarine
12 pk yoghurt
6 fresh eggs

Meats for meals

Chicken maryland pieces (2 meals in this)
Regular minced beef- 500g
single chicken breast (200g)
diced bacon 500g (for two meals)
beef stir-fry strips (on special) 400g

Frozen items
Potato wedges

Pantry items
Weet-bix
Canned tomatoes x3
Noodles
Canned spaghetti
Maggi meal base
Homebrand can fruit salad
Jatz crackers
Homebrand cooking oil
Plain biscuits
Cordial
Canned pineapple
Butter chicken sauce

Fruit & Veg
(bought from fruit and veg store)
Cucumber
Lettuce
Tomatoes x3
apples x5
Pears x2
Bananas x5
Potatoes x6
Carrots- bag
capsicum 1 sml
Zucchini- 1 sml
Onion-1
Mushrooms- handful
Rockmelon and grapes on special rack for 99c

Total- $205.48

Edited by bryce's-mummy, 25 January 2013 - 12:30 AM.

#19 bryce's-mummy

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:27 AM

QUOTE (~*Twilight~Zone*~ @ 25/01/2013, 12:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Your sons school is only $35/wk. Can you take in some ironing or something? Going rate is usually $30 per basket.

Maybe grow some vegies.

DS has started to grow carrots and tomatoes! He is very excited and hoping they will grow! Fingers crossed. Yes I am starting to do some odd jobs for people. Cleaning and things. Nothing major as I have to report all to Centrelink.

I forgot my home phone bill/internet- $25 per week

#20 EssentialBludger

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:38 AM

$100pm is a lot for Internet. Do you need a home phone? We don't have one and have never needed one. Our mobiles are just fine. If you shop around you could get cheaper Internet too. I pay $79pm with vivid wireless for unlimited, but I've seen much cheaper deals.

#21 bryce's-mummy

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:43 AM

QUOTE (EssentialBludger @ 25/01/2013, 12:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
$100pm is a lot for Internet. Do you need a home phone? We don't have one and have never needed one. Our mobiles are just fine. If you shop around you could get cheaper Internet too. I pay $79pm with vivid wireless for unlimited, but I've seen much cheaper deals.

Only Telstra service Internet in our area apparently- we rang a few companies. Not sure about now as that was a year ago and we ae on a 2 yr contract. Its unlimited local calls, and full internet. I will look at changing when the plan is up. Yes it is a lot of money. At the minute DH is still here and his mobile costs $80 per month! As renters we also have to pay our water bill too. Our landlord requires us to pay an additional $20 per fornight on top of the existing rent plus when the bill comes in (every three months) we usually have another $50-$60 to pay.

#22 EssentialBludger

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:47 AM

Eek!! Is that legal (the extra $20pf?)

I've only rented once so not sure if it's the same everywhere or if I just had a good landlord, but my water bills were about $100 per year.

Is looking for a cheaper rental an option?

#23 bryce's-mummy

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:52 AM

QUOTE (EssentialBludger @ 25/01/2013, 12:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Eek!! Is that legal (the extra $20pf?)

I've only rented once so not sure if it's the same everywhere or if I just had a good landlord, but my water bills were about $100 per year.

Is looking for a cheaper rental an option?

Yep it is- as long as it's in the lease (which it is). It never used to be like that though. But then we had the water restrictions and so we stopped watering the lawns. Most of the grass died off so they decided to start charging us for the water!! The rent here is $100 more a week now than it was when we moved in 5 years ago.  And will go up again soon. I have looked at moving but I don't like my chances of finding much else much cheaper. I am trying to remain here as long as possible with the history we have tied to this place. i don't think I can emotionally go yet.

I forgot about cost of insurance.

I have basic contents- $10 per week
Basic health- just under $10 per week

And last year I paid my annual car insurance but won't be able to afford the annual payment this year so that's another $15 per week. And car rego- another $10 or so a week.

So another $45 p/w  ohmy.gif

Edited by bryce's-mummy, 25 January 2013 - 12:53 AM.

#24 EssentialBludger

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:03 AM

OK, so you should have around $644.61 each week, depending on child support.

Rent: $300pw
Food: $100pw
Loan: $100pw
Water: $10pw
Mobile: $10pw
Home phone/internet: $25pw
Electricity: $30pw (estimate, if you have an average bill)
Gas: $20pw (as above)
Petrol : $20pw
Contents insurance: $10pw
Health insurance: $10pw (do you need this?)
School fees: $35pw
Rego: $10pw
Car insurance: $15pw

So we're at $675pw already, and that's not even taking into account clothes, shoes, excursions, birthday and xmas presents, drs, meds, school supplies etc.

Definitely look into financial hardship with the school. Otherwise I really don't think you can afford it. I know you said you would eat nothing to send him there, but that's not really a viable long term option.

Have you looked on gumtree for cleaning/ironing jobs? I know someone who gets a lot of work this way. She goes to a different house practically every day.

Edited by EssentialBludger, 25 January 2013 - 01:04 AM.

#25 Kafkaesque

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:16 AM

That is a lot of money for water. Double what I pay. As has been said school will probably have to go no matter how hard it may be.

Sorry you are in this situation.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• Essential-kids_320x214-redballoon

WIN a $100 RedBalloon for Dad

Enter now for your chance to win 1 of 5 $100 RedBalloon experience vouchers. Helping you make Dad's Day EXTRA HAPPY.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.