Concern or not?
bites and reaction

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 KatakaGeoGirl

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:27 PM

My daughter seems to attract mosquitoes. She always has bites. However the last two days they have become substantially more than bites looking more like welts. More itchy and annoying than usual, redder around the area, white blistery and swollen. Then after yesterdays cluster today settling to look like typical bites. She had a similar reaction to a new one today. I am sure they are mosquitoes as she says she hears them buzzing. Should I be concerned about a developing allergy? She is otherwise healthy it is just the appearance of them that concerns me.

#2 envs

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:31 PM

My SIL saw a dr about hers. Apparently it indicates an allergy to the mosquito bites. And explains my dd's reaction and the resulting scar that looks like a bruise....months and months after the swelling goes away.

#3 EsmeLennox

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:33 PM

Probably not, but antihistamine will help. Sometimes children have an over active immune system which leads to massive welts from mossie bites/ant bites etc. Think the size of oranges and larger. These can be a bit worrisome because they can cause an abcess or cellulitis can set up easily (ask me how I know!). Children who have these sorts of swellings need prednisolone and antihistamine to control the swelling, but it is not actually a systemic allergic reaction and most of the time is grown out of over time. It is actually known as Skeeter's Syndrome. The immunologist that my son saw told me  that children with this kind of reaction are actually less likely to have an anaphylactic reaction to insect bites than the general populace. You should however seek you own medical advice if you are unduly worried.

Edited by Jemstar, 24 January 2013 - 10:37 PM.

#4 KatakaGeoGirl

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:38 PM

Thanks they definately aren't that big just a bit more than usual and angrier looking. Will look antihistamine if it continues. She has had a reaction to unknown cause in the past with hives from head to toe. So I do wonder if she is more prone to allergy.

#5 **Xena**

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:42 PM

QUOTE (envs @ 24/01/2013, 11:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My SIL saw a dr about hers. Apparently it indicates an allergy to the mosquito bites. And explains my dd's reaction and the resulting scar that looks like a bruise....months and months after the swelling goes away.

The bruising thing often happens due to scratching rather than allergy.

Mine get like that sometimes. I'm mildly allergic to a lot of insects so I wouldn't be surprised if I'm also mildly allergic to mosquitoes.

#6 rjflc69

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:44 PM

QUOTE (Katakacpk @ 24/01/2013, 10:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My daughter seems to attract mosquitoes. She always has bites. However the last two days they have become substantially more than bites looking more like welts. More itchy and annoying than usual, redder around the area, white blistery and swollen. Then after yesterdays cluster today settling to look like typical bites. She had a similar reaction to a new one today. I am sure they are mosquitoes as she says she hears them buzzing. Should I be concerned about a developing allergy? She is otherwise healthy it is just the appearance of them that concerns me.

DS2 has exactly the same issue and the poor thing gets eaten alive. In addition I am allergic to one of the ingredients in bug repellant so am unable to apply this to hom or if DH does I can't touch him. Found the mozzie bands don't work either.

Never thought of seeing the GP about this but maybe we should?

Fiona

#7 Guest_Sunnycat_*

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:47 PM

Not that this is the same thing, but when we first moved to Australia I was 7. Had never been bitten by a mosquito in the
UK. I attracted Mosquitos like nothing else. My legs, neck and face all swelled up so badly my parents thought I had turned into the elephant man. They took me down to the chemist and I got calamine lotion and it went away after a week or so.

After a few more months the bites didn't swell up so badly. I'm not sure if I was allergic or just reacting to the bites because I'd never been bitten before but it went away over time.

#8 iwanttosleepin

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:53 PM

I attract mosquitoes and have an annoying reaction to them.  I am always the first to get bitten.  But mine only itch for a few minutes initially, then vanish and then 36 hours later come back with a vengeance.  Really itchy and with big red welts.

I have an even worse rash to midges and sandflies.

Funny enough I have almost no reaction - just a regular little lump from march flies.

#9 niggles

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:57 PM

My daughter reacts badly to them too. I took her to the GP after she started limping for several days after a day at the river. He had a good look and said to watch out for signs of cellulitis but other than that wasn't too concerned in our case.

#10 envs

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:01 PM

QUOTE (**Xena** @ 24/01/2013, 10:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The bruising thing often happens due to scratching rather than allergy.

Mine get like that sometimes. I'm mildly allergic to a lot of insects so I wouldn't be surprised if I'm also mildly allergic to mosquitoes.

I thought it was due to scratching too, but DD has always had bad reactions, is only 2 and she has only recently started learning to scratch. I tested it on myself by not scratching a bad mossie bite -the resulting bruise-like scar was the same...think it's more to do with skin pigmentation?

#11 Flaxen

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:13 PM

We have mozzies by the droves here, and i am vigilent to not allow them into the house. Come dusk or just the first sight of a mozzie, we go inside and the doors and windows that dont have screens are shut tight. When the aircon didnt work it was hell, as i had to keep the windows open for the heat, but we had mozzies everywhere, i was driven insane in a few days.
Thats how i get around the issue, as i am also allergic to something in the bug repellant, and my DD and I both scratch like crazy with the bites.

Antihistamines work well when bites are bad.

#12 30bt

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:23 AM

Antihistamine for the itch works well as does some 1% hydrocortisone cream on the bite - mossie bites never get worse than a localised reaction !

#13 Bubblicious

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:51 AM

My DD is also allergic to mozzie bite, used to even get them in bed. She gets an angry red patch with a big white spot in the middle. There was one might where I thought she might have had chicken pix there were so many, but none on her torso.

Luckily I am not allergic to bug spray or repellent, so I keep a roll on repellent in my bag and the car and a spray one on the fridge as well as those automatic bug spray things in the lounge room and her bedroom

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• ebk-canonD30-thumb

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.