Tsonga = idiot

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 CallMeFeral

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:43 PM

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/tennis/cheeky-...0124-2d7z5.html

ddoh.gif
nno.gif

Some days I wonder why we even bother trying.

#2 BetteBoop

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:48 PM

Allow me to pre-empt this thread for you.

You're reading too much into it.

The poor menz. They can't state the truth without man haters going into over drive.

Double sigh.

#3 BadCat

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:50 PM

Yeah, the women don't always play well because of their hormones being all ****ed up but the guys sometimes don't play well cos..... er..... "I don't know".

Good grief.

#4 bakesferalgirls

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:53 PM

I've never heard of him before, but he seems like a twit.

#5 envs

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:53 PM

I sometimes blame my hormones for my inexplicable responses to situations....but daggers to him if my husband does lol

I'm one of those instantaneous professional critics whenever grandslams come round, and must say Tsonga has a point. Azarenko? But then, Murray has his pms moments too

Awaiting the flames.....

#6 EBeditor

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:57 PM

Maybe it's more likely to have an upset in 3 games versus 5?

The Williams sisters seem to have thrived despite their poor hormonal handicap.

#7 CallMeFeral

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:00 PM

laughing2.gif Thanks Beetlebop. It's funny, I never used to post this stuff because I'd seem like some kind of angry feminist.

Then around the treatment of women thread I kind of figured - I'm fine with being an angry feminist! I AM angry and I AM feminist! Why live in denial right... Tounge1.gif

Now can you imagine if McEnroe with all that racket smashing had been a women? It would have been all "oh, must be that time of the month..."

#8 BadCat

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:01 PM

McEnroe would have been permanently on his period.

#9 Feral Grey Mare

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:03 PM

See what happens when you give your baby a weird name like Jo-Wilfried!

#10 Feraldasherie

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:03 PM

Not that long ago, women's tennis was called boring because the same players won everything and it didn't have the depth and talent of the men's game.

And now that it seems like there are more contenders in the women's game, it is because they are all unstable and emotional.

Textbook case of damned if you do, and damned if you don't.

---

#11 FeralEsme

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:10 PM

What a d***head. He should be muzzled.

#12 Liadan

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:31 PM

I'm going to guess that what he really meant was lost in translation.

I don't think hormonal changes are going to affect top athletes all that much. But you know.. I'm a woman, and I'll admit, that there are times when I am emotionally unstable. I cry at stupid sh*t, I have the occasional hissy fit, and sometimes I flip out. But that can happen at any time of the month, not just PMS, or whatever...

I think some people are reading too much into it. I am more upset about the huge difference in wage/income between the genders, than some male tennis player pointing out that women are physically different to men, and that hormonal changes could possibly affect a woman's game.

#13 CallMeFeral

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:41 PM

Bettlebop - got it word for word and by page 2! Tounge1.gif

Liaidan - I'm not saying women are not affecting by hormones. ALL people are affected by hormones - men have hormonal cycles too. As all people are also affected by moods, physical state, mental state, weather, level of tiredness/training, amount of sleep they've had, what they are preoccupied by, willpower, brain chemistry, etc. And at that elite level, any of these small things can make big differences.

But to suggest that men are just these consistent rocks of sporting performance and that women are these hormonal emotional wrecks running around the court playing according to their time of the month... is so stupid I can't even find a word rude enough to describe it.

Yes women are physically different to men. But what he said was as sexist, uninformed and ridiculous as if he'd said their game was inconsistent because those boobs bobbing around the court must throw their balance off.

#14 BetteBoop

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:45 PM

Yes but Liadan, why are male tennis players always pointing out the differences with female tennis players in a way that suggests female tennis players are inferior?

I've never heard female tennis players say "oh men are so aggressive. It affects their ability to play a skillful game".

It's stereotyping. And the intention is to say all women are exactly the same as each other, which is less than men.

How doesn't that seem wrong to you?

QUOTE (CallMeProtart @ 24/01/2013, 11:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Bettlebop - got it word for word and by page 2! Tounge1.gif

I suggest a friendly game of bingo. I bet I get everyone one of those predictions right.

#15 CallMeFeral

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:55 PM

You're on...

#16 whitelights

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:03 AM

I'm really hoping this is a situation of where it sounds worse than it was and came across badly because English is presumably his second or even third language.

#17 Canberra Chick

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:53 AM

Oops, bit of a fail there. Particularly as many studies have shown that men suffer monthly mood fluctuations too. They just don't have something to hang it on (which women are guilty of exploiting and then complaining that its used to belittle their emotions...).
Now, if he was to talk about women getting the same prize money for playing three sets as men who play five usually then he'd have a point... wink.gif

#18 MrsLexiK

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:57 AM

When I read about it I was a bit "really he said that" then I saw the press conference and his face and the light heartness of it and I went meh, this will turn into a beat up.

#19 bikingbubs

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:11 PM

I thought it was very light hearted the way that he came across if you watch the comments live! Kind of "come on, we know we have all been there before" kind of way.  Which, if you were my hubby at the moment he would totally agree with him biggrin.gif

It made me chuckle.

#20 FeralBob!

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:14 PM

QUOTE (BadCat @ 24/01/2013, 11:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah, the women don't always play well because of their hormones being all ****ed up but the guys sometimes don't play well cos..... er..... "I don't know".

Good grief.

Cos they're thinking with the little head, not the big head.

Hey, if he can be a sexist dismissive chunt, so can I laugh.gif

#21 BetteBoop

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:18 PM

QUOTE (MrsLexiK @ 25/01/2013, 11:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
When I read about it I was a bit "really he said that" then I saw the press conference and his face and the light heartness of it and I went meh, this will turn into a beat up.

Yes, I tolerate rampant misogyny much better when it's said with a smile.

He clearly meant what he said though. I guess it's because men can't power their dicks and their mouths at the same time  biggrin.gif

#22 Cat People

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:30 PM

QUOTE (Beetlebop @ 25/01/2013, 12:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes, I tolerate rampant misogyny much better when it's said with a smile.

And don't forget the French accent.    All is forgiven.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• winter-school-holiday-guide

School holiday guide

Here is what's on around Australia in your state. From ice skating to music theatre classes there is something to suit every child and every budget.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• ek-toysales-thumb

Best buys of the 2014 toy sales

We have rounded up some of the best from this year's half yearly toy sales from the big stores around Australia.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.