Right to know? Parent at school on sex offenders register.

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 treetree

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:06 PM

Do you think the school should be notified if a parent is on the sex offenders register? Even if it's past their reporting period? Should other parents be aware? Shouldn't the person not be allowed on school property?

What would you do with the knowledge if you had it?

#2 Expelliarmus

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:13 PM

If it's past their reporting period, aren't they free to go where they please? I don't think you can notify anyone, can you? shrug.gif

If I had that knowledge I'd keep it to myself unless they were breaking the law or conditions of the register/parole/whatever it's called.

#3 ubermum

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:14 PM

Isn't the register public?

I am not so fussed. Anyone could be a sex offender. I teach my kids protective behaviours and am vigilant as all get out.

#4 beaglebaby

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:18 PM

You need to be far more concerned about the ones that haven't been caught yet.  The most the school can do is to have all parents who volunteer in the school fill out the declaration stating they have no convictions.

#5 Lightning_bug

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:22 PM

...the problem with the sex offender register is that it puts underage kids who consensually had sex (statutory rape) and people who urinated in public next to serious pedophiles and rapists.

So I think notification should be based on the crime.  If we're talking a repeat offender pedophile then yes but if it's not a risk to children then no.

But in all honesty, I don't know.  The logical me says no and it's not fair on their child to be punished for their parent's crime.  

The mumma bear me says if I found out I'd be getting together a posse with pitchforks and torches.

#6 Liadan

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:24 PM

Depends on why they are on the registry, are they a repeat offender, have they been deemed likely to reoffend.

I'm assuming that he has been punished (although, IMO, the punishment handed out to sex offenders isn't harsh enough), but even so, he has been punished, and now has the right to try and live a normal life, as much as he can, no matter how unfair it may seem.

#7 Feralishous

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:55 PM

QUOTE (Liadan @ 24/01/2013, 09:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Depends on why they are on the registry, are they a repeat offender, have they been deemed likely to reoffend.

this would be my concern too

#8 wilson99

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:41 AM

X

Edited by jumpingbeans, 09 February 2013 - 09:08 AM.

#9 ronnieb

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:06 AM

QUOTE (Liadan @ 25/01/2013, 12:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm assuming that he has been punished (although, IMO, the punishment handed out to sex offenders isn't harsh enough), but even so, he has been punished, and now has the right to try and live a normal life, as much as he can, no matter how unfair it may seem.

How do you know the offender is a male?

#10 Fr0g

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:09 AM

QUOTE (treetree @ 24/01/2013, 11:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Do you think the school should be notified if a parent is on the sex offenders register? Even if it's past their reporting period? Should other parents be aware? Shouldn't the person not be allowed on school property?

Only if the parent was looking to volunteer at school. Even then, I would like to think the parent would receive no clearance (as screening in SA for public schools and a growing number of private), from the specific Assessment Unit. The school wouldn't necessarily be told why the parent wasn't cleared, just that he/ she is not suitable to volunteer with children. As for being on school
property, why not? If they  are ok to still have access to their child and they're not on parole or excluded from being within xxx metres of children, I dont see an immediate problem.

To respond to the 'public urinators & stat rape' offenders being on the list: the majority of sex offenders belong on the register and are not on it due to legal technicalities.

It's not a schools job to notify me as a parent about another parent, it is up to me as a parent to take reasonable steps to protect my child. I would also not 'share' info with other parents.

#11 Maple Leaf

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:27 AM

QUOTE (treetree @ 24/01/2013, 11:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I am aware of this exact same situation at a local school here. Wonder if it's the same person? lol.

In speaking with a police officer about having this knowledge, you basically can't do anything with it because of slander laws.
So be very careful.

The person I know has served their prison term and it's past 10 years since the offence so they are free to go wherever they like on school grounds and as far as I know, the school isn't aware.

#12 Froger

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:46 AM

Look honestly at any given reasonable size school there must be a good chance there are maybe quite a few parents who are sex offenders (whether convicted or not). I think I have read somewhere that 1 in 4 girls and 1 in 7 boys will be sexually assualted before they are 18. I'm sure someone can come and either confirm or deny this, but no matter the exact numbers, child sexual assault is still a huge problem. I hardly think knowing the name of one lone past offender is going to help protect my children in any significant way.

Just imagine how awful it would be if the school community got it wrong and were gossiping about an innocent person. How would their kids feel? And how would their kids feel if it was true? Either way it is a horrible situation for the children of this parent if people started gossiping.

#13 madmother

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:00 AM

We apparently have 11 convicted offenders in our small little rural community.  ohmy.gif  I think you can only prepare your child and give them the tools and knowledge to protect/defend themselves.

What is far worse is the nearly 40 year old woman who seduces 15 year old boys, alienates them from family and friends, corrupts them in ways unimaginable and then dumps them by the time they reach 18 because she has groomed their replacement.  sad.gif  Yes, police, DOCS and lawyers have been involved but it is almost farcicle because she is female and the vicitms are male teenagers.

Now THAT is something I have made my very gorgeous two boys aware of.

And she looks like Jabba the Hutt...  sick.gif

#14 BeYOUtiful

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:03 AM

How does someone continue their marriage to a convicted paedophile?!

#15 madmother

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:09 AM

We have the lovliest former school teacher (she taught both my boys in Grade 1) whose former pastor husband was jailed for such charges. It destroyed her teaching career and yet she is still with him and he is back in the community after completing his sentence. Makes my skin crawl every time I see them walking together holding hands (he is in his 70's, she is in her 50's - child bride makes me feel even sicker).

#16 Maple Leaf

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:11 AM

QUOTE (~Jane05~ @ 25/01/2013, 09:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The person that I know of has a second wife and 2 kids with her. He was convicted and in prison while with the first wife and got divorced from her during that time. Got out of jail, met second wife and had 2 kids. So new marriage.

#17 TenYears

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:12 AM

Like this?  It's not always cut and dry, which is why giving people a little bit of information but not the complete picture can be a damaging thing for a community.

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/young-love-comes...0428-1xrh2.html

Me?  I'd just not want to know as I don't think it would change much for me anyway.

#18 Oriental lily

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:16 AM

What's the difference of the sex offender picking up the  child from school compared to them taking their to the park? Or eating next to him in a restaurant?

While most us would love paedophiles, especially serious repeat offenders, to be locked up for life the reality is we need to share public places with them.

And a public school is a public place if the persons child is enrolled.

The only time I would be concerned would be if he was a parent helper. And I would hope the principal would reject their help if it involved working with children.

The sex offenders registry was set up to stop people being able to work with children.

Wich is actually irrelevant if this particular person is now off the registry.

But to answer your question no I don't think it's the schools responsibility to inform the parents.

I think there  is far more chance of making the child of the particular parent a target for bullying and making their life a living hell. No doubt this information would trickle down to the children.

And children can be brutal.

#19 Bwok~Bwok

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:17 AM

It depends on why that person is on the Sex Offenders Register in the first place before you should say anything.

As far as I'm aware, If they are on the list it doesn't necesarrily mean they are a Paedophile and  I thought there were 3 levels on seriousness of the crime - if that person is past their reporting period, I doubt they would have allowed it to lapse and extended it if they were at risk of re-offending. But I could be wrong.

#20 vanessa71

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:27 AM

The article posted by Eight.years, could have been my parents. My dad was charged with carnal knowledge, my mum was 15, he was 21, but thankfully it was thrown out of court. As my parents had married and I was born by the time it went to court, a decision was made not proceed, therefore my dad didn't end up with a record.

Edited by vanessa71, 25 January 2013 - 09:28 AM.

#21 matt1972

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:34 AM

QUOTE (Sassy Girl @ 25/01/2013, 10:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the parents definitely have a right to know. I wouldn't want my children being anywhere near a convicted (or non convicted for that matter) sex offender. I'm sure most good parents would feel the same.

So I guess you don't take the kids out much?

#22 BeccaBoo88

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:37 AM

I am torn about this. I believe that once their reporting period is over then they have served their sentence and the community needs to respect that. Just because these people are on the list doesn't mean that they have committed a crime against a child (not that committing it at all in excusable).

However, I do believe that if the school is aware of such parents in their local area, maybe some extra classes on protection and who to tell if the kids see something 'funny'. I still remember my sex ed classes from primary school being a place I learnt that if I saw something that didn't seem right I should tell my teacher.

This might seem a little contridictory after everything I have just said, but I also disagree to limit it to just sex offenders. Any violent crime is horrid in my eyes.

#23 Jembo

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:59 AM

Depends on why they are on the registry,

This.  My sons class has a parent on the register who spent time in prison for having sex with a 15 yr old.  

I think the register is too broad to have a blanket solution that fits all.

#24 Daisy Goat

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:36 AM

Given that public urination can get a person put on the register I would be very careful about demanding disclosure and witch hunting.   Also a man who at 21 had sex with his girlfriend who was 16 , 20 years ago can also be on it the breadth of the list can be wide.

Be careful of schoolyard gossip and witch hunting - it can be very dangerous. I had one mother p*ssed that I told my children not to play with her bully child accuse me of racial vilification last year.  Not just to my face but to the school itself. If it wasn't for very swift legal representation on our part and wonderful support from  the indigenous community that I know I am full aware of the ramifications of her accusations.

BUT- the fallout was the gossip. Suddenly 2/3 of the mothers in the  2 classes treated me like a criminal. They treated my children and instructed their children to do the same. It was a terrible year and we can only hope she desists in her campaign this year or people realise her evilness.

Don't go "outing" the so called sexual offender for your own glory. Their children would be the ones to suffer. And they can't do anything about whom their parents are.

#25 Lightning_bug

Posted 26 January 2013 - 03:48 AM

QUOTE (~Jane05~ @ 25/01/2013, 09:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I worked with a man who was found to have more than 2000 pictures on his laptop.  The person at work who found it was physically ill.

His wife, even when he was convicted, still says 'oh, it's a misunderstanding'. rolleyes.gif

QUOTE (Oriental lily @ 25/01/2013, 09:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What's the difference of the sex offender picking up the  child from school compared to them taking their to the park? Or eating next to him in a restaurant?

There's a difference between sharing a public space and an inteimate environment like a school.  In a achool environment you're not just brushing past them.  There is a chance of a friendship developing and eventually trusting your child with them.

It's one thing for it to occur through 'bad luck' and another all together to have someone overlook the danger to protect a  peadophile's civil rights.  I think someone who unduely protects a peadophile is just as bad.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

• ebk-canonD30-thumb

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.