Bathroom Reno

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 worknmum

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:42 PM

Hubby and I are having arguments already regarding the bathroom reno. We have not even started anything other than measuring the room. (2900 x 1600) But can get no further as we cannot decide what we want in it. I think as it is the only bathroom our house has that it needs to have a bath aswell as shower and vanity (toilet is in separate room) but as it is such a small area I dont know how these will fit. Hubby says we should just have an awesomely large shower and a vanity that way it is not crowded and there is room for storage of towels etc.

So lovely EBers please help me. Which way should we go? squeeze it all in or go for just the shower vanity option?

TIA
biggrin.gif

#2 PrincessPeach

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:47 PM

Our bathroom is almost the exact same size & we have a 900 x 900 shower + separate bathtub along the long wall opposite the entrance & then on the far short wall have our vanity basin.

Works for us.

Actually looking at that length, you could get away with the following:

Along the long wall have a shower (900 x 900), then the vanity (1200) & then a bathtub (800 x 1500) along the far short wall.

I love having a bathtub in the place - you never know when you might need it.

Edited by PrincessPeach, 25 January 2013 - 12:51 PM.

#3 worknmum

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:53 PM

Princess peach - is your entrance along the long wall or the short?
Ours is on the short wall and I was thinking of what you are saying but am worried the doors (shower and entrance) will be too close and collide with each other?

#4 PrincessPeach

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:03 PM

Ours is on the long wall.

As for collisions..we currently have an old school style slide door for our shower, but when it gets changed over later this year we are thinking of making the bathroom door a cavity slide.

#5 lizzzard

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:28 PM

Do you mean you want a *separate* bath and shower? What about a combined shower-bath? These are very common in Canada - not sure about over here. They save a lot of space though original.gif

Edited by lizzzard, 27 January 2013 - 07:33 PM.

#6 Sui-yat

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:42 PM

What about a shower/bath combo where the shower is next to the bath but in the same enclosure? Kind of like the one in the below link. I have seen a few of them in newly renovated homes.

http://www.houzz.com/photos/103321/Pickeri...m-san-francisco

Otherwise, I would probably get a shower over the bath tub.

Edited to ad a better link.

Edited by Jayne174, 27 January 2013 - 07:51 PM.

#7 TillyTake2

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:53 PM

If its your only bathroom it definitely needs a bath.

We are redoing ours, it's 2700 x 2300 & includes a freestanding bath, open shower ( one glass panel), 900mm vanity & a toilet so given you don't need to fit the toilet I think you will have plenty of space.

#8 worknmum

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:54 AM

Thanks Everyone. You have given me plenty to think about. Glad to hear you agree that the bath is needed. Will keep rejigging the plans to make it fit. Am looking into a cavity door for the main door to save that swinging space. original.gif

#9 NSG

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:59 AM

Do a shower bath combo. You can get very modern versions. You can even choose your own bath and get a shower screen custom made. Or, worst case scenario make sure your large shower space also has a tap at "bath height" that you can use to fill up a baby bath or whatever.

#10 purple_daisy

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:08 AM

I agree you need a bath, even if it is combined with the shower.

FWIW when you come to sell your house down the track a lot of potential buyers with kids/planning to have kids might be put off if there is no bath. That was definitely something we thought about when buying our bathroom.

#11 sophiasmum

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:07 PM

Haven't read all the replies, but my opinion is you need a bath. If you are worried about space then have a shower over bath but install a screen, I hate shower curtains.

#12 Apageintime

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:24 PM

QUOTE (sophiasmum @ 29/01/2013, 03:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Haven't read all the replies, but my opinion is you need a bath. If you are worried about space then have a shower over bath but install a screen, I hate shower curtains.

Agreed. Avoid shower curtains at all costs, they gross me out.

#13 Z-girls rock

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:32 PM

I  totally hate shower over bath.

If you can have seperate even if it is squishy I think you should do that.

But as a last resort shower over bath is ok.... only if there is no other option.

#14 jayta

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:42 PM

We have the shower next to the bath with no screen between them, like the photo linked to and it works well for us in the small space. The floor gets a little wet cause there is no shower door but the mat sorts it out

#15 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:50 PM

This looks like a good option for a small bathroom.  Use the space next to the bathtub to be the shower.  Similar to the previous suggestion, with a different orientation.  The best solution depends on where your door is (or where you move it to).

#16 Z-girls rock

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:03 PM

QUOTE (YodaTheWrinkledOne @ 29/01/2013, 03:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This looks like a good option for a small bathroom.  Use the space next to the bathtub to be the shower.  Similar to the previous suggestion, with a different orientation.  The best solution depends on where your door is (or where you move it to).

LOVE the first suggestion!!

#17 ~Nickers~

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:10 PM

We did a Reno on our small bathroom a few years ago.  We opted for a separate shower and bath, due to space we used a smaller bath (great for the kids, not so great for me).  I really wanted a bigger vanity (1200mm) so that also restricted the placement of everything.  You can see some photos here:

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.6...mp;l=8866cf22fd

If I had my time again I would have the bath along the back wall (where the towel rail is) and have a smaller vanity placed between the shower and bath (so where the gap and bath is)..

ETA: to fix the link

Edited by ~Nickers~, 29 January 2013 - 09:29 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• ebk-canonD30-thumb

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

• ppcard-thumb

Win a $200 Pumpkin Patch voucher

Fill out this quick survey and tell us in 25 words or less: what is your best pregnancy or parenting tip?

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.