What is reasonable?
Giving away items....

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 *-*

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:08 PM

I am in the process of giving away items on FB. I could make money from these items (brand name clothing), but would prefer to give them away.

I am also giving away quite a few other items.  

The problem I am finding, is, not only are these people expecting the items for free.  They are also expecting that I will deliver them.  20-30k's away in some situations.  If I delivered everyones stuff - that  would be a day of mine gone.

Someone was looking for a couch - I said I had one they could have if they wanted.  Sent pictures, only to get a reply of "That's not what I was expecting".  I'm sorry - Expecting?  (And this woman has said this to several other people as well - it appears she is looking to upgrade her whole house on other people).

Then another post pops up, someone wanting broad rimmed hats - but only brand names??!!

So what's the go when giving away items/asking for freebies?  Are these people getting a little cheeky or am I being unrealistic?  

I kind of expected that people would arrange to have the items picked up (since they were getting them for nothing) - but a huge percentage expect the item for free, and delivery thrown in on top.. with not even a thank you!

Edited by *~Katrina~*, 25 January 2013 - 02:10 PM.

#2 CallMeFeral

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:12 PM

Try freecycle. It is always expected that the recipient picks up.

#3 songshirah

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:13 PM

You're not being unreasonable.  Some people are just rude.

#4 Cranky Kitten

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:18 PM

You want it, you come get it is my general rule. Occasionally if I'm passing that way anyway I may offer to drop it off, but don't expect me to.

#5 envs

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:19 PM

It's very presumptive of them...they are probably thinking they're doing you a favour taking it off your hands

#6 FeralFerretOfDoom

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:30 PM

Wow, that's incredibly rude.
Agree with PP, try Freecycle.

#7 epl0822

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:37 PM

It's pretty simple. You just give them your address and say what dates you will be free for pick up. If they want you to drop off, explain what you've said here and say you don't have time.

#8 Escapin

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:41 PM

I use freecycle too. It's got a nice vibe about it original.gif

#9 *-*

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:45 PM

The closest freecycle is an hour away. sad.gif

#10 Riotproof

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:51 PM

Organise a council pickup? They sound very rude.

#11 *-*

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:55 PM

I used to be a member of freecycle years ago.  The biggest problem was, the closest "group" was Bendigo - Or Shepp.  Both about an hour away.

TZ - You need to post to your "local group" - But often Echuca/Moama is just too far for people from Bendigo/Shepp.

#12 Maple Leaf

Posted 25 January 2013 - 04:19 PM

I found my local freecycle group like that. Exremely picky and the same people always putting their hands up for stuff. I'm sure they were then selling what they got for free on ebay.

#13 belinda1976

Posted 25 January 2013 - 04:29 PM

Why don't you just put on your FB page when advertising them that collection needs to be arranged at their end.

#14 bearmum

Posted 25 January 2013 - 04:31 PM

I used to try to give away free things and suffered the same issues with people wanting to inspect and consider and blah blah blah then not turning up when they had said they would to take things. A friend told me they didn't value getting the goods because it was for free. I realised that was actually right. Where I lived at one point, donating to charity wasn't an option so I started selling for cheap (very cheap!) prices. Everything went like hotcakes. Crazy because I would have given this stuff away for free if people had bothered being even mildly polite about it!

Now I just donate to St Vinnie's or similar. They are easy to work with and thankful for quality donations and they come and pick up good furniture on time and without whinging.

#15 twinboys

Posted 25 January 2013 - 04:32 PM

Maybe word it as free if picked up or pay for the postage.

I tried Freecycle and I got sick of the rude requests/demands and people wanting me to call them about what I was offering for free.

Most people don't appreciate 'free stuff'

#16 miinii

Posted 25 January 2013 - 04:33 PM

If they want it they can come get it. I wouldnt be delivering any

#17 Holidayromp

Posted 25 January 2013 - 04:57 PM

HI there OP - I would be interested in taking the items off your hands.  I will be happy to pay for postage.  I will be very appreciative  original.gif .  PM me if you like with what you have and I am not expecting delivery.  original.gif

#18 Jembo

Posted 25 January 2013 - 04:58 PM

I just give to charities now or friends only, as am always suprised by the demands and attitudes.  Otherwise I sell it cheap at a garage sale or something.

I run our local freecycle group as well, but lucky for us not being a big place you soon learn who are the people who take advantage so you can just say no to them, the same with our FB page.

#19 Propaganda

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:01 PM

I would just post a photo of the item, state (roughly) where it's located and that while the items are free they are to be picked up by the person who claims them. If they want the item posted (and of course you're okay with doing that), then postage is $XY amount and you'll provide them with a paypal account to pay that postage fee into.

#20 strawberry blondes

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:19 PM

I think people these days expect far too much and they don't mind being rude about it!

I gave away a gorgeous bed this week with a brand new light shade and storage hanger. The person who was taking it practically broke down my door because 2 screws were missing from the bed!!! I was putting my kids to bed as he knew, like anyone in their right mind who was being given great stuff for free would complain! He actually looked like i  had spoilt his whole week when i told him he could go and buy 2 screws!

#21 *-*

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:45 PM

I don't mind inspections at all.  

One lady wanted to buy an item - I offered what I had - She needed it delivered.  That was fine - I had factored that into it all.  It was clear from the outset that delivery was her only option. (And she was an EB'er - just making sure she doesn't think I am talking about her!!).

I seem to have sorted The clothes are all in excellent condition - I just can't be bothered listing them all to sell, and the Op shops here tend to price a little too high.

Edited to remove one part, as I couldn't articulate my point well enough.

Edited by *~Katrina~*, 25 January 2013 - 05:48 PM.

#22 Floral Arrangement

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:52 PM

I have done this with a couple of furniture items, both times stating first to say yes needs to collect within a couple of days. Items appreciatively taken and used by the recipients. Oh and I don't go on a special page just take a pic on my page and put "Hi to my Adelaide family and friends I have this item to give away. First to say yes gets it and need to collect withing a couple of days."

Edited by FloralArrangement, 25 January 2013 - 05:55 PM.

#23 Madeline's Mum

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:49 PM

Can someone link me to FreeCycle in Sydney, the page I go to takes me totally round about and I can't find the friggen boards!

#24 EBeditor

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:51 PM

I just use Gumtree and say pick up only.

there is also the EB trading rooms!

#25 mummytotwo

Posted 26 January 2013 - 04:49 AM

Once had a dishwasher (working) I offered on free cycle. Loads asking for delivery. One lady even asked if we would be able to install it as she was a single mum.

Popped it on eBay, got $100 for it, picked up next morning. So now pop big things on eBay for 99c start. Gone off donating to local op shop anymore as saw the staff sorting, going "oh Betty, look at this, I think it will fit Jack"

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• ppcard-thumb

Win a $200 Pumpkin Patch voucher

Fill out this quick survey and tell us in 25 words or less: what is your best pregnancy or parenting tip?

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.