Stay safe QLD and NSW!

• Please log in to reply
348 replies to this topic

#1 Domestic Goddess

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:57 PM

SES here on the north coast of NSW, has started filling sandbags and delivering them to the elderly and disabled. They have dumped a few truck loads of sand last night already, for those wanting to fill their own bags.

Hopefully the storm moves more land inwards (where they need the rain anyway) as the wind changes north easterly, but in case it doesn't I hope everyone in QLD and NSW is prepared and staying safe. Better to fill the bags and have them there ready to go, than end up cursing yourself for not being prepared. I have been kicking myself twice before for thinking it wouldn't get too bad.

#2 Stellajoy

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:59 PM

I'm right on the coast so it won't be too bad here but work in Murwillumbah so hoping it doesn't flood

#3 babybeli

Posted 26 January 2013 - 03:06 PM

Noticed plenty of SES staff getting of at lismore on today's flight.  They sure seem to be getting ready.  I am glad I dont live in a flood prone area anymore.  Let's hope it's not to bad.  Might not have yo go back to work next week though if it does flood.

#4 Domestic Goddess

Posted 26 January 2013 - 03:12 PM

This country really is one of extremes. First we have a week of bush fires, now we're up for a week of flash flooding.

Australia is not a country for wussies for sure wink.gif

#5 Iliketoflounce

Posted 26 January 2013 - 03:17 PM

I live in Maryborough Qld a Street away from the Mary river we are in a high set house.

ETA it is starting to flood

I hope everyone is safe

Edited by Minnieme4me, 26 January 2013 - 03:19 PM.

#6 jill1972

Posted 26 January 2013 - 03:30 PM

Is the Mary River flooding? Bells Bridge must be cut then?

#7 Feral timtam

Posted 26 January 2013 - 03:32 PM

Still safe, but $250 more broke now mad.gif

All this rain has caused the septic to overflow. Thanks to the absolute genius who designed the plumbing on this place it's gone straight into the downstairs kitchen.
I am infinitely grateful DH put the groceries away as he brought them in today, otherwise we would have been binning all our food!

#8 .Jerry.

Posted 26 January 2013 - 03:34 PM

Very damp here is Brisbane, but the rain is really further north mostly.
There have been two mini tornados in the last few hours - both near Bundaberg - Bargara and Burnett Heads.  

I am mostly worried for those out and about on the roads in this big wet.

#9 Fire_fly

Posted 26 January 2013 - 03:41 PM

We have just had 2 tornados hit one which I know has done some damage and the other I am as of yet unsure of. No power and we are cut off from town so just waiting it out. It's super windy and very wet!

#10 Copacetic

Posted 26 January 2013 - 05:56 PM

Apparently they've had 3 confirmed tornadoes now and I have to admit I'm starting to get a little bit worried and hoping it settles down a bit before it gets to the South East.  We've done what we can to make sure our downstairs doesn't flood, but with the rainfall totals they're talking about I"m not sure that what we've done will be good enough anyway.  

I hope everyone up north is safe.

ETA:  

Looks like more to come:
At 4pm EST, Ex Tropical Cyclone Oswald was slow moving over the Central Highlands and Coalfields district, about 75km east northeast of Emerald and 250km west northwest of Gladstone. Ex Tropical Cyclone Oswald is expected to move south southeast this evening and through Sunday, contracting into New South Wales on Monday.
Damaging winds, with gusts of around 110km/h are expected over the Wide Bay and Burnett, northern stretches of the Sunshine Coast and northern parts of the Darling Downs and Granite Belt district. Wind gusts in excess of 125km/h may occur and this could cause significant damage or destruction to homes and property in localised areas.
These conditions are expected to contract southwards into the Southeast Coast district and also extend west to the Great Dividing Range during Sunday, with destructive wind gusts in excess of 125 km/h possibly developing, which could cause significant damage or destruction to homes and property in localised areas.
There have been multiple reports of tornado activity through the northern Wide Bay this afternoon. Currently radar imagery suggests the strong possibility of a tornado about 30km west of Maryborough moving south southwest at about 50km/h.

Edited by Copacetic, 26 January 2013 - 05:58 PM.

#11 Clever Clogs

Posted 26 January 2013 - 05:59 PM

Pretty amazing storm in the ACT, heaps of flash flooding. It is wild out there.

#12 Iliketoflounce

Posted 26 January 2013 - 06:03 PM

QUOTE (jill1972 @ 26/01/2013, 03:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is the Mary River flooding? Bells Bridge must be cut then?

not yet but very soon it will start the water level is high

#13 Iliketoflounce

Posted 26 January 2013 - 06:11 PM

https://www.facebook.com/QueenslandPolice/p...151391811013254

This is what was in bundy now heading towards me sad.gif no im scared

Edited by Minnieme4me, 26 January 2013 - 06:12 PM.

#14 Peanut

Posted 26 January 2013 - 06:17 PM

Hope everyone in the Gladstone/Rocky region are doing okay, its on the move south now.  

Take care everyone.

#15 Iliketoflounce

Posted 26 January 2013 - 06:25 PM

QUOTE (Peanut @ 26/01/2013, 06:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hope everyone in the Gladstone/Rocky region are doing okay, its on the move south now.  

Take care everyone.

Some people have power back but it is still raining (I have friends there)

#16 Peanut

Posted 26 January 2013 - 06:36 PM

I hope the flooding isn't too bad in your street/area Minnieme4me, take care.

Edited by Peanut, 26 January 2013 - 06:36 PM.

#17 FeralsCommonSense

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:00 PM

QUOTE (Peanut @ 26/01/2013, 06:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Take care everyone.

The Fitzroy has broken its banks.. We managed to get trucks through late today to restock the store I work in.  People are panic buying as they are afraid we'll be cut off for aslong as we were in 2010.  I was so happy to see the truck at the back dock as I left work today.

#18 Peanut

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:05 PM

Is it looking like the flooding with be as bad as that UncommonSense?  I really hope not.  sad.gif

#19 i-candi

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:06 PM

Stay safe !!!

#20 Fire_fly

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:09 PM

5 tornados now :-( we are 5min down the road and are being told to stay inside and away from windows. At least we have power now. Hope it's not to bad for all you guys down south.

Edited by Fire_fly, 26 January 2013 - 07:10 PM.

#21 BadCat

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:12 PM

Wow.  sad.gif

Hope everyone stays safe.

Don't forget if you have trouble EB is a great place to get help.  I remember the last lot of floods and all the offers on here of places to stay and such.  Don't be shy to put up your hand if you are in need.  This is one of the things that EB does best.

#22 FeralsCommonSense

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:13 PM

QUOTE (Peanut @ 26/01/2013, 07:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is it looking like the flooding with be as bad as that UncommonSense?  I really hope not.  sad.gif

Peanut no I don't think so.. This is the the worst flash flooding i've ever seen and i've lived here all my life.  At the moment the highway into town is open from all sides I think so we're getting supplies in.  We may get cut off we may not, our catchment is huge so its not just dependant on what rain falls on the city.

Fire fly stay safe

#23 madmother

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:13 PM

4 tornadoes now.

We bought a big generator yesterday. ready for the loss of power...

#24 pumpkin89

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:15 PM

Uncommon Sense: love the user name and so apt for the situation! I don't think we're looking at being cut off for that long a time but the ---- (insert long string of expletives) in my town have been panic buying. Seriously, last time people were buying up baby formula because the long life milk sold out mad.gif . I'm braving the shops tomorrow for my usual weekly shop, but expect not to find much. We can live off baked beans, powdered milk and porridge for a week, right? (Hhhmmm, might want to make sure there's going to be no disruption to sewage services before attemting that diet original.gif )

#25 FeralsCommonSense

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:16 PM

Pumpkin are you in Rocky?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• ek-toysales-thumb

Best buys of the 2014 toy sales

We have rounded up some of the best from this year's half yearly toy sales from the big stores around Australia.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.