Everyone OK after that storm in Canberra?

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1 BadCat

Posted 26 January 2013 - 06:31 PM

Holy crap!  That was some scary storm at my place.

Is everyone OK?

#2 livvie7586

Posted 26 January 2013 - 06:36 PM

fine here, but it sounds like northside got it worse than us southsiders

#3 Jane Jetson

Posted 26 January 2013 - 06:39 PM

Edited by Jane F. Jetson, 15 June 2014 - 06:13 PM.

#4 BadCat

Posted 26 January 2013 - 06:40 PM

I have trees down and water pouring through my ceiling in places.  Actually that sounds worse than it is.  I'm OK.  And the severe storm warning has passed so hopefully the rest of the night will be less eventful.

Oh yeah, I love storms too.  Until they start to scare the hell out of me and I'm home by myself.

Edited by BadCat, 26 January 2013 - 06:41 PM.

#5 Apageintime

Posted 26 January 2013 - 06:42 PM

Was crazy here. Lightening hit the house and has fried some of my electrics sad.gif

But my poor cat got stuck outside in the rain and soaked through, so now I have wet cat in my bed sad.gif

Hope everyone else is ok.

#6 lisacat

Posted 26 January 2013 - 06:43 PM

I had minor flooding in the atrium and laundry. Thank goodness it stopped before it got to the wooden floor.
I have not gone to check outside yet.

#7 HeroOfCanton

Posted 26 January 2013 - 06:44 PM

We were pretty good here in Kambah - had a mad dash around closing the windows we had just opened, but otherwise nothing awry!
Our yard is a swamp though!
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=101...nt=2&ref=nf

Hope everyone else was alright!

#8 greypink

Posted 26 January 2013 - 06:49 PM

We are northside and it was wild but no damage for us thankfully.
The thunder is still going though and poor DS is terrified so I'm thinking he'll be having a late night.

Thinking of everyone with damage and glad the worst of the storm is over

Edited by greypink, 26 January 2013 - 06:53 PM.

#9 Puggle

Posted 26 January 2013 - 06:49 PM

It got pretty wild and woolly, didn't it? I think everything is OK here, just the usual flooding in the garage. I actually watched it happen as I was lifting a few vulnerable things off the ground with the aid of some pavers. It was so fast!

#10 BadCat

Posted 26 January 2013 - 06:59 PM

My lights are flickering again.  That's a worry.  unsure.gif

#11 Jane Jetson

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:00 PM

Edited by Jane F. Jetson, 15 June 2014 - 06:14 PM.

#12 BadCat

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:03 PM

We're northside and a couple of times I thought the lights weren't coming back.  Bit unfortunate since DH has taken the kids camping for the weekend and taken all the torches.  rolleyes.gif

Also they are camping right in the line of the storm.  I've called them to warn them how ugly it might be.  All I can do now is hope they're OK.

#13 SusieGreen

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:06 PM

I've got kids playing softball at Hawker. I'm in Vic  sad.gif

Is the rain there to stay?

#14 ThatsNotMyName

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:12 PM

Sideways rain & crazy wind here as well as power brown outs.
. Trampoline tent ripped but otherwise all ok. We're north side. More rain forecast for tomorrow.

#15 Feral*Spikey*

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:14 PM

We're getting a lot of noise at the moment, and some rain (and the Hottest 100 keeps dipping out) and the wind. But not too bad.

One tree down in our streed (I'm out at Bungendore ATM). Though it looks like we haven't had everything we should be 'expecting' according to the radar.

#16 boopyscreet

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:14 PM

We've got pretty hideous flash flooding in Queanbeyan and Jerrabomberra at the moment.

We were at the Australia Day thing at QBN park when it happened and got drowned!! Came home, all jumped in a nice hot shower and then put girls to bed.

Now hubby has gone back out in it as the SES put out an urgent call for all available members to respond sad.gif

#17 BadCat

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:15 PM

QUOTE (SusieGreen @ 26/01/2013, 08:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've got kids playing softball at Hawker. I'm in Vic  sad.gif

Is the rain there to stay?

We're looking at a 90% chance of 15 to 30mm tomorrow.  In fact we're looking at rain for days. Not looking good for softball.  sad.gif

#18 Guest_3Keiki_*

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:21 PM

not great here.... river looks like it rising....

#19 ~Sorceress~

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:23 PM

Was a lovely wild storm here - I think our vulnerable branches all went in the last storm wink.gif original.gif . Great to see the garden getting a good drink but my poor dog has been even more scared of the storm than usual sad.gif.  I think she'll be sleeping under the cot tonight!

#20 BadCat

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:23 PM

You OK 3Keiki?

#21 Shadowess

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:32 PM

We're north side, and it was pretty amazing! Rain coming sideways, wind howling, thunder etc. ended up with water dripping through a light fitting, and the paved part of the yard is covered in pine bark, washed away from the garden beds.

#22 Guest_3Keiki_*

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:33 PM

Thinking we might cop it a bit more - you guys have lost your bom warning ours is still up....
The river is the concern for me - it would have a rise A LOT to get near the house but these are a lot of brand new fences I have been doing that it could ruin. Worrying about the lightening with these bloody wind turbines...
house itself should be good, but the wind, it just howls I have been out and moved everything into the sheds and stables so we will have to see how we go
I am a big sooky la la though I just feel out in the middle of no where and so isolated when it is like this and its too late for me to head out really if the road washes out thats it I am washed in......

#23 bettymm

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:34 PM

Crazy storm! With the loudest thunder i have ever heard i think.  My 4 year old was beside herself but the 1 year old was somehow fine with it all
We are in Gungahlin.  All fine now just light rain which my poor garden is enjoying

#24 Apageintime

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:37 PM

Power is back here now (northside) I think it was just our duplex though as lightening hit us.

But now my tv won't work, and DH is away, and my crazy old neighbor just invited himself into my house.

Ugh storms!

#25 71Cath

Posted 26 January 2013 - 08:08 PM

Still no power here (in Macgregor)  sad.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• Essential-Kids_Snow-Queen-Promotion-tile

Win a Fairytale experience

To celebrate the DVD release of The Snow Queen, we are offering one lucky child and their guardian the chance to experience what it would be like to live in an enchanted fairytale.

• ebk-canonD30-thumb

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.