Limits on Electronic Devices

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#1 purpleblackqueen

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:56 AM

What limits do your impose on your school aged kids on electronic devices- eg Wii, DS, Ipods etc during the school term?

I am thinking that once the homework get done then they can have 10 mins, then once jobs get done then they have 20 mins.

WDYT?

#2 Shellby

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:11 AM

We have set things that need doing at different times of the day, once done you have free time to do ask you please. However no gaming in the mornings before school only TV.

EG

Morning

Breakfast
Teeth
Get Dressed
Make your bed
Make Lunch for school
Do dishwasher
Take out rubbish
Free Time

Then they go to school

Afternoon

Afternoon snack
Get Changed
Put uniform in machine and turn on
Empty Bag
Music practice
Homework
Freetime - which can include gaming

After Dinner

Dishwasher if not done
Tidy bedroom
Shower
Get in PJs
Teeth
Free Time - but no gaming and quiet time 30 minutes before bed - so no TV either but can read books or play lego.

They do everything with no issues. If they don't they lose the x-box for free time that day or next day if its a evening chore they missed. We have a list on the fridge so they follow it step by step.

We spoke to our child psychologist for James and she said it was great. We encourage outside things also for free time, but they are allowed a choice which is teaching them how to use their free time just like you do as a adult at the same time teaching them how to be responsible for everyday things you just have to do before doing that free time. Also they learn if they take forever to do the tasks they are only losing their free time so its only them losing out dragging it along - they actually get things done quiet quickly now they know its only them they affect when dragging their feet.

It all works here and we have no real drama at all - they know the rules and if they don't do it they lose the x-box which is their currency at the moment.

#3 NotBitzerMaloney

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:18 AM

No screen time mon-thurs at our house, but DS is only five.
No doubt here will be a renegotiation next year (and every year thereafter!)

#4 Guest_3Keiki_*

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:25 AM

Yep no screens at all after from homework related comp work from Monday to thurs, after that it is in block of maz 1 hour and it no sport on for that day then must be broken up with active time as well.

#5 NotBitzerMaloney

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:28 AM

We also have a 1 hour maximum time session limit on Fri/Sat/Sun.

#6 Mamabug

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:34 AM

We don't really have electronic devices! Makes it easy to limit them...

The 7yo has an electronic sudoku which she is allowed to play once a week while her sister has a swimming lesson.

The tv does not go on in the afternoon after school, unless I really need them occupied and they won't settle to something else. And they have to do their homework first.

They do get 'movie night' every Sunday, but they have to have their bedroom and playroom tidied before dinner, or no movie.

The 4yo gets to watch playschool if we are home in the morning.

#7 mumto4boys

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:53 AM

Games, Wii, DS etc get shut off at 4p.m. on a Sunday and they don't see them again until after school on Friday. The 4p.m. Sunday shut down always meant a leisurely end to the weekend with time to get things ready for school the next day, then dinner and a little TV before bed.

During the week computers are only used by the children for school work. If it's not actual school work or homework then it can wait until the weekend.

Mine are older now but the 17 year old still does not get near any gaming devices during the week. I still collect the DS and hand it back on Friday. At 10p.m. each night the laptop and his mobile phone are brought in to my room to be charged. This stops all of the overnight messaging and relentless need to check Facebook to see what everyone else has been up to. At 17 I do allow some time for Facebook during the week but only brief periods. Eg, 15  minutes before homework. I also remind him somewhere between 9:30 and 9:45 that it's almost time to hand things over so say goodnight to the girlfriend etc.

#8 ~THE~MAGICIAN~

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:55 AM

I haven't had to limit yet, but that might change with DD 11yo starting high school. They also do alot of dancing after school too, so depending on how much homework there is to be done, will depend on how much time they get.

To me 10 mins is hardly enough time to look at one thing?

I'm certainly not one of those parents who has a no screen time during the week. All in moderation I say.

Edited by ~THE~MAGICIAN~, 27 January 2013 - 10:56 AM.

#9 ~THE~MAGICIAN~

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:01 AM

Mumto4boys - are you serious? You taking the DS off your 17yo??

#10 erindiv

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:01 AM

10-20 minutes is nothing, they will barely be able to start and settle into a game in that much time. When I sit down with my laptop it takes 5 minutes just to start it up, connect to the internet and open my browser. I could probably then look at maybe one post on EB before I would have to shut down.

My parents used to limit myself and my brother to 1 hour each on the computer in the afternoon after school, after our homework was finished. Generally when I was younger I had no homework so I would go on it from 4-5, then my brother would use it from 5-6, then we'd have dinner. As we got older we were allowed to use it after dinner, so I'd use it (as a 12-13 year old) from 7-8 and my brother (as a 15-16 year old) from 8-9. We didn't have the internet until I was 16 and my brother was 19, and then we could spend as much time on it as we wanted provided nobody else needed it.

#11 erindiv

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:09 AM

QUOTE (~THE~MAGICIAN~ @ 27/01/2013, 12:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was  ohmy.gif  at this too. A 17 year old is very close to being an adult, how are they going to learn to moderate themselves if everything is just taken off them most of the time? I would have been ropeable at 17 if my mother had taken my mobile away from me at night. I didn't even use it at night! I had my mobile from 15 years old and it was mine, nobody else touched it, and because I'd been taught moderation I knew when to put it down.

Just read that you take his laptop too... does this young man get any privacy?

#12 Guest_3Keiki_*

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:16 AM

QUOTE (~THE~MAGICIAN~ @ 27/01/2013, 12:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

QUOTE (erindiv @ 27/01/2013, 12:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was  ohmy.gif  at this too. A 17 year old is very close to being an adult, how are they going to learn to moderate themselves if everything is just taken off them most of the time? I would have been ropeable at 17 if my mother had taken my mobile away from me at night. I didn't even use it at night! I had my mobile from 15 years old and it was mine, nobody else touched it, and because I'd been taught moderation I knew when to put it down.

Just read that you take his laptop too... does this young man get any privacy?

I really don't see what the problem is, He is still at school he is living under her roof and therefore her rules. I don't have a teenager but have had friends who do complaining about grumpy teenagers cause they have been up texting or gaming or facebooking half the night.
I commend the PP for have rules such as this... we all hear about how teenagers have limited idea of consquence (especially male teenagers) this seems such a great idea to me and one I will happily have in my home

#13 treetree

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:47 AM

No screens on school nights at all. The exception is if we are watching a show together as a family, or if someone has been very well behaved, they may get a little time as a reward. I let my fifteen year old get away with it a little more than the others, but then she helps out more anyway. I do limit her if it gets to be too much.

And they only get screens on the weekend nights if they have done everything they were supposed to all week long. This is limited too though. I don't allow them in the day at all, unless it is super hot.

#14 Sif

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:54 AM

During the week, they can have devices after school until 5pm, then they have to hand them in - they are limited to their iPods and laptops (for non-homework play). The Wii is only for the Wii-kend, LOL.

My older two use laptops for homework after dinner, that's 1 hour for the 11 year old before bed and 2 hours for the 13 year old before bed, but it's not play time, it's strictly for homework.

Edited by Sif, 27 January 2013 - 11:55 AM.

#15 EssentialBludger

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:25 PM

Wow, I must be slack. I don't limit either. When DD has free time, eg. not at dancing, done her homework and her room is clean, she can use it as she chooses.

#16 wilding

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:28 PM

QUOTE (~THE~MAGICIAN~ @ 27/01/2013, 10:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I haven't had to limit yet, but that might change with DD 11yo starting high school. They also do alot of dancing after school too, so depending on how much homework there is to be done, will depend on how much time they get.

To me 10 mins is hardly enough time to look at one thing?

I'm certainly not one of those parents who has a no screen time during the week. All in moderation I say.

No limits here either. I grew up with pretty relaxed parents in the way of technology, who would probabably be chased out with pitchforks and what not today  tthumbs.gif

#17 ~THE~MAGICIAN~

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:29 PM

PBQ- there is no right or wrong here. You choose what to do that is right for your family.

#18 purpleblackqueen

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:29 PM

QUOTE (EssentialBludger @ 27/01/2013, 01:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wow, I must be slack. I don't limit either. When DD has free time, eg. not at dancing, done her homework and her room is clean, she can use it as she chooses.

I need to limit for both of them, otherwise they will be awake half the night playing and then not get up on time for school

#19 ~THE~MAGICIAN~

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:31 PM

How do you know that's what they will do?

So, you are saying Jackson who is 6? lies awake half the night playing?

I don't know of a single six year old (and I know a fair few) who do this.

Edited by ~THE~MAGICIAN~, 27 January 2013 - 12:41 PM.

#20 EssentialBludger

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:36 PM

QUOTE (purpleblackqueen @ 27/01/2013, 01:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I need to limit for both of them, otherwise they will be awake half the night playing and then not get up on time for school

Really? When I say it's bed time, then it's bed time. DD wouldn't dream of playing on her DS/laptop/iPod after I've said lights out. I'd hear her/see her when walking past her room.

Sometimes I think your kids are just taking you for a ride PBQ. ph34r.gif You seem to have no control over them?

#21 wilding

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:38 PM

QUOTE (~THE~MAGICIAN~ @ 27/01/2013, 12:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't know of a single six year old 9and I know a fair few) who do this.

I use to stay awake at all hours and read books, but I was a bit older than 6, but I know I was younger then 11  blush.gif

#22 ~THE~MAGICIAN~

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:42 PM

I used to read books late at night too (sometimes under the blankets with a torch) but not at 6yo.

#23 purpleblackqueen

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:46 PM

QUOTE (~THE~MAGICIAN~ @ 27/01/2013, 01:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't know of a single six year old (and I know a fair few) who do this.

Because given the chance they do it now.

#24 purpleblackqueen

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:48 PM

QUOTE (EssentialBludger @ 27/01/2013, 01:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Really? When I say it's bed time, then it's bed time. DD wouldn't dream of playing on her DS/laptop/iPod after I've said lights out. I'd hear her/see her when walking past her room.

Sometimes I think your kids are just taking you for a ride PBQ. ph34r.gif You seem to have no control over them?

I am slowly getting back control over them, for years they would play DH and I against each other, I f I said something they didn't like, they would run off to their father who would let them off every punishment I gave, leading to many arguments between DH and I.

They still test the boundaries.

#25 ~THE~MAGICIAN~

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:52 PM

They are probably doing it now because they are nearly 7 weeks? through a long break. They are not getting worn out by school/after school activities, they are using them to entertain themselves.

I know my kids aren't nearly as tired at night now, especially when we have had a home day.

What do your kids do all day while you clean?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• Essential-kids_320x214-redballoon

WIN a $100 RedBalloon for Dad

Enter now for your chance to win 1 of 5 $100 RedBalloon experience vouchers. Helping you make Dad's Day EXTRA HAPPY.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.