Extremely fast metabolism and hyperglycaemic

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 k-ko

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:44 PM

I just need to vent and possibly hear from others who have gone or are going through similar.
Its been about 8 years now that Ive had trouble maintaining weight, its exhausting and lonely as few seem to understand how hard it is for me to gain it and be a healthy weight. Blood test after blood test show nothing, docs say I just have a fast metabolism. Ive been mocked when I told them im trying to gain/sustain weight.
I also believe I possibly have hyperglycaemia but soo far 1 doctor hasnt confirmed a diagnosis. i need to eat every 2 hours or i start to shake, feel dizzy, weak, sweats etc.

Im 175cm and my weight lingers around 55kg. My goal is 60kg but I just cant manage to get there.
Apart from my teen years Ive never been more healthy than when I was pregnant with DS and DD, I gained about 10kg both times, but then I really struggled bfeeding DD. I was so thin and weak by the time she was 6 months she was a chubbly gorgeous thing but I was severly thin/ warn down I needed to wean her.

Nothing seems to sustain me, Ive tried protein shakes, sustagen suppliments aswell as eating all meals of the day......Im over it.

Im just reaching out to see if anyone else struggles in a similar situation. How do you handle it? Any tips?

#2 sa5ha

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:59 PM

Do you mean hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) not hyperglycemia (high blood sugar)?

I've had similar issues to what you've described and have blacked out on more than one occasion due to hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) although I don't have the issues with maintaining a healthy weight.

I'd suggest getting a referral to an endocrinologist and having it fully checked out if you haven't already.

#3 k-ko

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:11 PM

Hi Sa5ha, yeh thanks i did mean hypoglycemia.
Unfortunately I have been had a full thyroid check about 18months ago and then about 3 months ago and nothing abnormal has come up.
I may need to think about getting further opinion, im just so sick of gps waving it off as nothing as my bloods continually come back fine. sad.gif

Thanks for the post, appreciate it

Edited by k-ko, 27 January 2013 - 09:12 PM.

#4 ~chiquita~

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:34 PM

QUOTE (sa5ha @ 27/01/2013, 09:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'd suggest getting a referral to an endocrinologist and having it fully checked out if you haven't already.

I agree. If you haven't already I think you should have your DHEA levels checked as well. This isn't a test routinely performed by GP's so you'll need to ask for it. I'd shake when under pressure and got very dizzy. All my blood tests were normal but I was exhausted.  

Google adrenal fatigue for more info.

Good luck!

#5 mollybot

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:51 PM

Check out the forums at Real Thyroid Help here:

http://forums.realthyroidhelp.com/viewforu...96aa3e460343b1d

This is the Australian Forum. Email/PM the Moderator Catherine directly and ask for the list of Thyroid Friendly Doctors in your area.

Whether or not you have a Thyroid issue, she can send you  a list of Doctors who will pay attention to all your symptoms and order a far wider array of tests than the average GP or Endocrinologist.

If you are in Perth, PM me and I'll send you the name of the person to get in touch with here.

I suffered for 12 years and went through 9 doctors who all told me that my blood tests were normal and that there was nothing wrong with me. None of them ordered the correct tests and all of them behaved as though I was a waste of their time. And I have a four inch scar on my neck from a thyroid op I had when I was 15 !!

Whether or not your have a thyroid issue, you need a good Doctor who will listen to you and not dismiss you. Any of the Doctors on the List will be very familiar with a wide range of chronic hormone disorders and will be able to help you !

All the Best !
Molly

#6 k-ko

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:10 AM

Thank you Chiquita and Molly.
I will definitely look into adrenal fatigue. Molly that's terrible it took so long and I'm sure so many ├┐ears of despair seeking an answer.
Thanks again i'ii see how I go
K

#7 whoisme

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:09 PM

Hi K-ko

I am EXACTLY like you, and I mean to the . of the I and the cross of the T.

I have never been so "heavy" as I am now, I am 56kg at 160cm, except all my life I have been super thin, never ever gain weight, lose it extremely easy when sick and find it near impossible to put back on.

I've done the high protein shakes, Sustagen, full fat, high this and that food to no avail.

I've also been to an endocrinologist due to the fatigue, shakes, poor concentration (nearly resulting in two car accidents), coldness in my hands etc and had many blood tests and a special urine test that collects wee over a twelve hour period etc but it did not show a thing, on two occasions it was on the cusp.

The reason being, is that the tests need to be done "during" an attack, not after as the levels go back to normal very fast.  I have to snack constantly all day and not go longer than 2 hours without food or I feel just awful.  The worst is the mornings, I wake up feeling so hungry sick that I can't eat breakfast and have to FORCE myself to eat it, sometimes so bad that I gag from hunger....its not nice.

I've found the older I've gotten the better it has become, now at 36 after two children I am feeling the least impacted by it.

#8 Microwave Jenny

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:35 PM

Yep, this is me too. 36, two kids and. I weigh about 53kgs at 165cm. I carry muesli bars and other calorie-dense snacks in my handbag after almost having car accidents during low blood sugar episodes. I've been tested for diabetes, thyroid issues, anemia, and so on. My GP has registered postural blood pressure drops (they take blood pressure while you are sitting then you stand up quickly and they work out how much it plummets) so at least I have proof that it's real. At worst, when I was breastfeeding I would actually have fainting spells, but an iron supplement seemed to help with that for a while.

It's only now in my mid-30s that my mother has finally stopped accusing me of an eating disorder (I eat vast amounts and she used to follow me to the bathroom because she was convinced I was purging after meals) because she realises that I've weighed the same amount for 20 years without much fluctuation.

My partner is incredibly supportive and understanding when I lose my temper during a low blood sugar episode. He just calmly gets me to the nearest available source of carbohydrate and then waits for me to recover. That's probably my worst symptom, to be honest. I get really cranky if I don't eat very frequently, and I am not fun to be around.

Some people would say being thin and never dieting is a pretty good problem to have, but they don't realise how crappy you feel with people constantly commenting on your weight and your food intake. After this long I've learned to ignore it or laugh it off, or sometimes my partner will step in and defend me, but at some point I wouldn't mind getting to the bottom of it, in case there is something more serious behind it.

#9 k-ko

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:31 PM

QUOTE (whoisme @ 28/01/2013, 03:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi K-ko

I am EXACTLY like you, and I mean to the . of the I and the cross of the T.

I have never been so "heavy" as I am now, I am 56kg at 160cm, except all my life I have been super thin, never ever gain weight, lose it extremely easy when sick and find it near impossible to put back on.

I've done the high protein shakes, Sustagen, full fat, high this and that food to no avail.

I've also been to an endocrinologist due to the fatigue, shakes, poor concentration (nearly resulting in two car accidents), coldness in my hands etc and had many blood tests and a special urine test that collects wee over a twelve hour period etc but it did not show a thing, on two occasions it was on the cusp.

The reason being, is that the tests need to be done "during" an attack, not after as the levels go back to normal very fast.  I have to snack constantly all day and not go longer than 2 hours without food or I feel just awful.  The worst is the mornings, I wake up feeling so hungry sick that I can't eat breakfast and have to FORCE myself to eat it, sometimes so bad that I gag from hunger....its not nice.

I've found the older I've gotten the better it has become, now at 36 after two children I am feeling the least impacted by it.

QUOTE (Microwave Jenny @ 29/01/2013, 03:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yep, this is me too. 36, two kids and. I weigh about 53kgs at 165cm. I carry muesli bars and other calorie-dense snacks in my handbag after almost having car accidents during low blood sugar episodes. I've been tested for diabetes, thyroid issues, anemia, and so on. My GP has registered postural blood pressure drops (they take blood pressure while you are sitting then you stand up quickly and they work out how much it plummets) so at least I have proof that it's real. At worst, when I was breastfeeding I would actually have fainting spells, but an iron supplement seemed to help with that for a while.

It's only now in my mid-30s that my mother has finally stopped accusing me of an eating disorder (I eat vast amounts and she used to follow me to the bathroom because she was convinced I was purging after meals) because she realises that I've weighed the same amount for 20 years without much fluctuation.

My partner is incredibly supportive and understanding when I lose my temper during a low blood sugar episode. He just calmly gets me to the nearest available source of carbohydrate and then waits for me to recover. That's probably my worst symptom, to be honest. I get really cranky if I don't eat very frequently, and I am not fun to be around.

Some people would say being thin and never dieting is a pretty good problem to have, but they don't realise how crappy you feel with people constantly commenting on your weight and your food intake. After this long I've learned to ignore it or laugh it off, or sometimes my partner will step in and defend me, but at some point I wouldn't mind getting to the bottom of it, in case there is something more serious behind it.

Thankyou both for sharing, im nodding as I read both of your posts as I have experienced the same. Im turning 30 this year and the thought of years and years of this to come just frustrates me. I dont know how III handle bf again when we have another bub as it just drained the life out of me.
All the best to you both and thanks again for sharing, I really appreciate it.
K

#10 shatavari

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:38 AM

Me too!
I absolutely have trouble stabilising my blood sugar - I need to eat every couple of hours and be selective about what I eat (in order to avoid a severe blood sugar drop).
I also cannot put on weight. I am 45kg and 167cm. I have only fluctuated 1 or 2 kilos from this weight over the past 20 years except when I was pregnant...which was a joy to put on some weight!
And as PP said about people thinking you might have an eating disorder...yawn! Not original.

I agree with the suggestions of hypoglycaemia and adrenal fatigue. I know in my case hypoglycaemia is there, as I get the same symptoms as you (tired/cranky/hungry/occasional shakes/sweats) and these symptoms are relieved my eating. I also know that certain foods will completely set me up for a blood sugar fall. I have observed this countless times so I know what helps and doesn't help for me.

I need to eat a breakfast or morning tea that is high protein ie.eggs, protein shake. If I do this I won't start to blood sugar crash after 2 hours and have to go and eat pronto. The eggs/shake can be in addition to carbs eg.fruits, porridge etc but the protein has to be there or I know where it's going. As for foods that will set up a blood sugar spike followed by a drop in about 2 hours, sushi is terrible, a sandwich without meat or protein is bad too. Now that I eat often and with regular protein, I hardly ever get to the stage where I start to sweat or shake (as I remember happened more in my 20's). Coffee and sugar are also terrible and make things worse.

If you are on a constant blood sugar yo-yo this in itself would be completely exhausting. But as far as feeling weak, there are also medicinal herbs that are building and nourishing and would start working on adrenal fatigue. If that's your cup of tea, maybe you could see a herbalist/naturopath or chinese medicine practitioner? Ofcourse there's always iron deficiency to rule out too.

At least from the posts you can see you are not alone  biggrin.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• ek-smiggle-driver-thumb

Smiggle is painting the town red!

We have 3 Red Smiggle prize packs to give away! Enter by posting a photo of something red to your Instagram.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.